Fall crappie fishing

canliq

Dear members,

I just wondering If anybody on this forum members ever try go for Crappie fishing during fall season ?

I never heard about crappie fising at fall season in Canada, but in USA, a lot of people go for Crappie fishing, even have some tournament only for Crappie during Fall season.

Is look like during fall season can be a peak season too for Crappie due pre-spawn and get ready for winter. Also the size can be good size too compare on Spring time.

Any information will be appreciated,

yup use crappie nibbeles under a float or for night put a flashlight in a jar and add rocks and drop to bottom with a string you will se them MILLING around it

Be forewarned that using artificial lights to attract fish is prohibited according to the Ontario fishing regulations. The only exceptions would be if the light was part of the lure or while dip-netting smelt, herring and whitefish (pg 8 of the 2014 Ontario Fishing Regulations book)

Be forewarned that using artificial lights to attract fish is prohibited according to the Ontario fishing regulations. The only exceptions would be if the light was part of the lure or while dip-netting smelt, herring and whitefish (pg 8 of the 2014 Ontario Fishing Regulations book)

That's what I was thinking....

I know a place very soon I will be going to early evening till midnight,give or take.We use those light sticks you put on your float so at least you can see where your line is .The time is coming soon.

Just stay off my dock Davey. Or atleast leave room for me. LOL

There are advantages to spring crappie fishing, the spawn, it concentrates them in the spawning areas which tend to be the same yearly.

The fall bite is feed related find the concentrations of bait fish and you might find the crappie.

" Be forewarned that using artificial lights to attract fish is prohibited according to the Ontario fishing regulations. "

That was the same when I was a kid fishing up there, but you can make use of street or dock lights that are in place and attract the bait fish, they aren't your lights?

Edited by OhioFisherman

That was the same when I was a kid fishing up there, but you can make use of street or dock lights that are in place and attract the bait fish, they aren't your lights?

Yes that's the only way around it. Fishing around street or dock lights is fine.

Bringing your own flashlights and shining it into the water for the purposes of attracting fish - Not so fine.LOL

Yes that's the only way around it. Fishing around street or dock lights is fine.

Bringing your own flashlights and shining it into the water for the purposes of attracting fish - Not so fine.LOL

I was too young and missed the heydays of Blue Pike and Walleye fishing on Lake Erie, lights are legal at night here. It was common to see all kinds of boats on Lake Erie at night with a Coleman lantern in an oarlock brackets shining into the water when people were fishing for White Bass. The light would attract the emerald shiners and the White Bass would follow.

Just about any ramp on Lake Erie here has lights around them, and there always seems to be shiners there too, the fish adapt to it.

There were always bait fish around the dock lights at camps we stayed at up north, and always something bigger lurking around looking for an easy meal.