Compromise Vehicle

HTHM

I have been looking for a sturdy vehicle that I can use as both a tow vehicle and a daily driver. I do a lot of highway driving, ~40 - 60K per year. What I have determined to be a possible compromise is the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes diesel drivetrain. 2006 - 2008 model years. Old enough to be affordable, new enough to find one with low K's.

Has anyone had any experience with this vehicle and if so what were your experiences like in both types of use?

I have one ('08 GC Diesel) and I like it... lots. Towing is rated at 7200lbs. It tows my 1000lb rig like it's not there. If you look at the jeep forums people use these to haul quite the loads. I can get just north of 9L/100km if I keep it at or below 110 (unloaded) -- the sweet spot for fuel efficiency is somewhere around 85-95 km/hr from what I can tell where it dips into the 8s/100 -- this is with more aggressive AT tires. If your 'hwy' driving consists of mostly 80km/hr roads, you're laughing. The size of the vehicle along with the gearing (really could use a 6th gear or a lower final drive -- this is about my only gripe) make fuel efficiency suffer above 110.. it is still much more efficient than the v8 GC I owned before that -- regardless of speed.

No issues with power.. it's not 'instant-on' power like a v8, it is a turbo diesel that needs to spool the turbo but, it is there. It actually has more torque, at a lower RPM & wider RPM range than the 5.7 Hemi which makes it an ideal tow vehicle. It does this while burning a lot less fuel.

If you're not setting your cruise at 130, I would recommend it over the V8.

Edited by Raf

A Dodge Caravan will do just fine...

I just want to see you driving a minivan :D

You'll appreciate the Jeep, just do your research online and a couple test drives.

No I have a speed demon already, Nissan Quest. Son, I've spent more time in a minivan than you have or will probably....

for the people looking at the GC of these model years -- be aware of the below issue, it affects all Grand Cherokees and Jeep Commanders from 05 to 10 regardless of engine and if you are ok with it, use it to your advantage when haggling:

there was a recall put out for all these model year GCs (and Jeep Commanders) in 2013 named the N23 recall. The recall was to address the issue of the transfer case possbily popping into Neutral when using teh remote starter and the vehicle rolling away. The actual issue is that a circuit board in the final drive control module (FDCM for short) - which is the 'brain' behind the transfer case - may crack. Chrysler addressed this issue not by replacing the boards, but by issuing a software fix that tightens the tolerances of the brain as to when it will allow switching from AWD to N or to 4LO.

It may take weeks, it may take months -- eventually, any vehicle that has had this recall performed will illuminate the service-4wd message when attempting to put the transfer case in N or LO and not allow you to switch into N or 4LO. July 29th of this year, chrysler put out a tech bulletin with a revised software update as well as revised procedure for installing this update. It may or may not fix this issue (I've had the update done and so far so good).

Other than the updated procedure from Chrysler, there are two known fixes for this, one is temporary, one is permament. The temp fix is to pull the FDCM fuse with vehicle running, shut it off, and replace the fuse. Upon restarting, you will be able to engage N and 4LO for who knows how long (last time I did this I had 4LO for 2 months). The permament fix is to buy a junkyard FDCM from a donor vehicle that has not had the recall performed (and use your parking brake in case you are worried the vehicle will roll away using the remote start).

Most people who have had this recall performed have no clue that it has disabled their 4LO as they never use it or never flat tow behind a motor home in N. If you are one of these people, this is propably a non-issue since the vehicles will switch to AWD or even true 4WD if you have the quadra drive ii tcase when the rears slip anyway -- this functionality is unaffected. If you do use 4LO/N, know that you can fix it one way or another.

Yes I still recommend this vehicle. :) Especially in a diesel if you tow or drive a lot of miles.

Edited by Raf

for the people looking at the GC of these model years -- be aware of the below issue, it affects all Grand Cherokees and Jeep Commanders from 05 to 10 regardless of engine and if you are ok with it, use it to your advantage when haggling:

there was a recall put out for all these model year GCs (and Jeep Commanders) in 2013 named the N23 recall. The recall was to address the issue of the transfer case possbily popping into Neutral when using teh remote starter and the vehicle rolling away. The actual issue is that a circuit board in the final drive control module (FDCM for short) - which is the 'brain' behind the transfer case - may crack. Chrysler addressed this issue not by replacing the boards, but by issuing a software fix that tightens the tolerances of the brain as to when it will allow switching from AWD to N or to 4LO.

It may take weeks, it may take months -- eventually, any vehicle that has had this recall performed will illuminate the service-4wd message when attempting to put the transfer case in N or LO and not allow you to switch into N or 4LO. July 29th of this year, chrysler put out a tech bulletin with a revised software update as well as revised procedure for installing this update. It may or may not fix this issue (I've had the update done and so far so good).

Other than the updated procedure from Chrysler, there are two known fixes for this, one is temporary, one is permament. The temp fix is to pull the FDCM fuse with vehicle running, shut it off, and replace the fuse. Upon restarting, you will be able to engage N and 4LO for who knows how long (last time I did this I had 4LO for 2 months). The permament fix is to buy a junkyard FDCM from a donor vehicle that has not had the recall performed (and use your parking brake in case you are worried the vehicle will roll away using the remote start).

Most people who have had this recall performed have no clue that it has disabled their 4LO as they never use it or never flat tow behind a motor home in N. If you are one of these people, this is propably a non-issue since the vehicles will switch to AWD or even true 4WD if you have the quadra drive ii tcase when the rears slip anyway -- this functionality is unaffected. If you do use 4LO/N, know that you can fix it one way or another.

Yes I still recommend this vehicle. :) Especially in a diesel if you tow or drive a lot of miles.

Does this only apply to GC with remote start?

Does this only apply to GC with remote start?

No it was model wide for all 05-10s. Anyone who went into chrysler either to voluntarily get the recall done or any other service done and the VIN of the vehicle popped up as not having it done had it performed.

Plus I think they all have remote start.

If you are worried about the vehicle rolling away, it won't happen. If you are still worried, use the parking brake pr don't use the remote start. If you are worried about losing 4LO, like I said, I had the updated software done July 29th and it's been fine so far.. time will tell but I think the issue is resolved, at the very least, by issuing a 'fix for the fix', Chrysler sees they messed things up with the original recall. If it fails, I know I can still get it back with either the fuse pull trick or a junkyard FDCM. In my mind, it's really a non-issue just something to be aware of.

Edited by Raf

hopefully it involves a vehicle with the quadra drive II system. it's a very slick/impressive 4wd system with electronically locking front and rear diffs, though even with the quadra trac ii (non-locking), it's a jeep and will take you places most other vehicles won't. good luck in your search.

Edited by Raf

Have you considered a good ol fashion pickup?

A three to five year old Chevy 1500 with the big extended cab is a darn nice vehicle. It's sturdy and will handle all those miles without any trouble. Perfect for towing what you have. And can get 20+ mpg on the highway if you are careful.

It will also have more room inside than the GC.

Have you considered a good ol fashion pickup?

A three to five year old Chevy 1500 with the big extended cab is a darn nice vehicle. It's sturdy and will handle all those miles without any trouble. Perfect for towing what you have. And can get 20+ mpg on the highway if you are careful.

It will also have more room inside than the GC.

I have, but the mileage just is not there. I get reimbursed for kilometers driven, and the GC is right at the cutoff for profitability. And, to be honest, I like them.

I recently picked up a 2008 Jeep GC diesel.

I've been using it as my daily driver, atleast 80kms a day. If I'm light on the foot, at about 110km/hr I can hit under 10 L/100km.

Right now on the computer with mixed highway and city, mind you the highway is alot of rush hour traffic. I am getting 11.5 L/100km with a pretty heavy foot.

I have driven to London a few times and I got just under 11L/100km on smooth highway with minimal traffic. However we did have a canoe on top and traveling north of 110km/hr

Towing my boat (approx 2000-2500lb) I get between 12 to 15L/100km, depending if I go on local highways or the 401. On the 401 I would be going between 110-120km/hr and that would decrease my fuel mileage.

I agree the optimum speed is between 80-100km/hr.

So far I like it, my previous vehicle was a 2002 Acura MDX. But the MDX had way more interior space, more storage space and compartments, not sure if its a fair comparison.

However the Jeep has more power and way better fuel economy.

Some issues I've had with the Jeep GC and seems to be a common problem are:

-N23 recall 4x4 lo lock, I've only done the temporary fix of unplugging the fuse. This is a huge issue that jeep haven't been able to adequately fix. I don't need this feature so much but it is very annoying to know that isn't there.

-Sunroof. There are problems of the sunroof not being to stay flush with the roof. I have read issues and experienced issues of the sunroof caving in when going through a high pressure water car wash. NOT fun.

-Windshield washer fluid hose/nozzle. My tubing has cracked and broke. I need to fix this asap. I believe it is from the high heat temperatures of the engine bay area that has caused the tubing to be fragile and brittle. I have read online that others have had to replace this part several times.

-Lack of storage compartments

-Creaking sound when opening and closing the doors, not really a biggie but I have sprayed it with grease multiple times

Some things that I've really enjoyed about this vehicle:

-High clearance

-Fuel economy

-Towing power - really hauls butt, I can barely notice a boat behind the truck when accelerating on the ramp onto the highway

-Torque

Overall, would I get it again? Yes.

10646623_10152670794597200_6603146313158

Edited by kevin

If you like it go for it. The gc alright vehicle other than rattles from sunroof and 4WD module issues squeaky doors (rust check spray on roller usually takes care of it) some people luv the mb diesels some dont overall engine ok little electrical things that get to you, my own preferance is stick to gas power the higher cost to obtain a diesel with marginal mileage improvements and larger maintenance costs dont really do it for me unless always towing

The search is over, I have found one. 2007, quadra trac II 4wd, with 48,400 km's (no I did not forget a zero). It was literally driven by a little old lady. To say I am pleased would be an understatement.

If anyone is looking, I have some leads for you.