ZEC Trip and other things

Rod Caster

Joey Tier and I and two other pals went into ZEC Restigo for a three day, two night, lightly-packed trip. We purchased our non-resident papers, got some of that deliciously well-priced Quebec beer and drove into the first of three lakes we'd hit that weekend. The weather was great the first day, horrible the next and good again the third. On the third morning I was chipping ice off of my gear when I started breakfast. Trucks got scratched, we got wet, tents had ice and we all caught fish.

Day one, we tried for lake trout and got about 20 between the group. We had a great fish dinner that night.

IMG_20140912_150715_zps200af2c9.jpg

IMG_20140912_150721_zps4e1c67b2.jpg

Day two we went a lake for bigger lakers and specs. We only lasted a few hours before we had enough of the cold, wind and rain. I got one small spec and that was it. We decided to travel to lake #3 in the dreary weather. By the evening it cleared up a bit and we nailed a good dozen pickeral, all small, but all blue!

IMG_20140913_172131_zps33ee7dd5.jpg

That night the weather relaxed and it was cold, super calm, super clear and bright with moonlight. It all made for great photos in the morning.

IMG_20140914_072115_zpsfdff5f0d.jpg

IMG_20140914_072141_zps7f009345.jpg

That day we got into some decent walleye numbers and fat pike; in particular, Joey got the nicest fish of the weekend with a 35+ inch pike

IMG_20140914_102219_zps20f14c9d.jpg

IMG_20140914_115443_zpsa4054919.jpg

Weather played a big role in the numbers of fish that were caught, but it was still a worthwhile expedition.

Speaking of weather, frost killed my garden so I'm sitting on 30+ pounds of green tomotoes. We are making salsa verde and chow chow right now. We got tons of beans, peas, spinnach, parsley and 6 large pumpkins, as well as a ridiculous amount of tomotoes. Not bad for our first gardening season.

Here is a pic from the garden I took one nice morning.

image_zps24b536b2.jpeg

Also got some geese for dinner. Marinating now and getting cooked tonight.

image2_zpsa62ad00d.jpeg

and....the little is cuuuute

photo18_zps28fd23fd.jpg

Laker huh? I see Joey with one ...... :tease:

actually, Joey seems to have all the fish,,, lol Joey - did Chad really break his laker skunk???

great report and terrific scenery - love those mornings with the fog clearing over the water.

I had a heart to heart talk with Joey prior to the trip. The jist of it was "PUT ME ON LAKE TROUT!!!"