Do people ever catch salmon after dark?

fishnguy

I've never had a hit on a downrigger after the sun goes down, but on nice nights, there are always dozens of boats still out in the bay when I come in. Do people actually catch salmon at night in the lake on a fairly regular basis? If so, what do people have luck using? I've never had a hit on spoons or j plugs.

Thanks

90% of the salmon I catch off the pier (from shore) are at night. Glow in the dark spoons like cleos are the most popular but most of the fish I've caught this fall so far have been on non-glow crankbaits and spoons. My biggest issue is finding suitable replacement hooks that withstand the abuse of a 30lb chrome chinny :D

90% of the salmon I catch off the pier (from shore) are at night. Glow in the dark spoons like cleos are the most popular but most of the fish I've caught this fall so far have been on non-glow crankbaits and spoons. My biggest issue is finding suitable replacement hooks that withstand the abuse of a 30lb chrome chinny :D

Interesting, thanks. I'm not too concerned about getting a 30 lber. High teens are a big fish in my neck of the woods.

When I seen this post,I thought to myself, if I post what happen 27 years ago,they would,nt believe me. Then again,it,s so true, some wont believe me. :Gonefishing:

BUT,Here it goes.

An old friend and I were canning beets. Well his wife was,we were helpers.Where this brain storm came from,I have no idea. After boiling a batch of beets, we drained some of the beet juice into a bowl of fresh roe we had. They turned so red. So red ,they looked like rubies. We split the bowl up. I tied some bags up the next night, as my brother and I had a fishing night planned at Port Credit.

Back then,it was, get there by 5pm for the night fish, We were there til 1-2 Am. We would find a spot and sit, Our favorite spot was the south/west part, under the Lake shore bridge.

This one night , the only night we had,there were a couple of guys there. We were bummed out. Usually there was a charter boat on the last dock,but for some reason,it was gone. This dock was worn and rickety. Not like they are today down there. We both set our ass,s down and start to fish. We chucked our rubie red tied bags out with 1 oz slip weights. A small piece of styro to help keep the bait afloat.

It was like, 15 minutes and my brother had one on. A short fight,and it was landed. I throw my bait back out as he,s getting his fish unhooked. It wasnt more then 2 minutes after, and i was hooked up. Got it in and released it. My brother had released his as well. Both throw on new sacs and were good to go. 5 minutes in,it,s him with a fish on again While he,s fighting,I get a hit. Fish on. Were both laughing it up having a great time.

We both land our fish. Both released. it wasnt about keeping for us, it was about just fishing together.

So to answer your question,YES,they do hit at night.

I did see that the whole shore of the credit north of the bridge has all grown in . What happen to the great park there? It was grass covered with parking for all to enjoy the fall run.

That was so sad to see. :(

I have great memories of times there.. :clapping::Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B

On the beach I have caught lots of salmon at night, and the odd one off the piers. Everyone once in a while we get into a run of rainbows at night too, but mostly in the fall. A few of the guys I fish with like to get there around 2am and fish until 9am or so. Lots of fun when you get spooled at night and never see what it was.

What really sucks is sitting there in the dark and hearing 100's of fishing jumping and not a bite for 5 or 6 hrs LOL.