Just wondering,why there are no Salmon and Steelhead in Simcoe

davey buoy

there use to be steelhead in simcoe, till 1800s I think they built a gristmill that blocked a river and they had nowhere to spawn

you still hear the odd one caught and the odd brown, but icefishing steelhead would be a blast on simcoe

Thanks for the info,also thinking The trent water system connects,Lake O,Georgian Bay, and Simcoe.You might think a few more would make there way here. Maybe a good river is the problem as you mentioned.

Residents as in, they most likely came from one of the many streams that flow into Simcoe. It would be cool to think they spawn in those tiny creeks but spend their time out in Simcoe chowing down on smelt, lol.

I keep forgetting the meaning of resident. LOL

There is a lot of restoration going on out the Oro way for bringing back the numbers of specks /browns and bows. Lets hope we see the out come in our life time.

Edited by Brian B

There's nowhere for them to spawn. They aren't shoal spawners like the lake trout are. They need to go upriver, that's why the Great Lakes were a perfect place for them.

Now, ya see, that's what this place is all about. Thanks Bill - you just answered a question G asked me last week I didn't have an answer for ":Dad - How come the lakers don't run the rivers?" Now I know and Dave knows why he has to drive an hour before he can hook a chinny

Now, ya see, that's what this place is all about. Thanks Bill - you just answered a question G asked me last week I didn't have an answer for ":Dad - How come the lakers don't run the rivers?" Now I know and Dave knows why he has to drive an hour before he can hook a chinny

It's all coming together now, thanks as well Bill. Rick,agreed,this place is the best!!!!

there are cases of landlocked salmon, but they are different than the monster chinnies, chinnooks would overrun simcoe pretty easily, they swim laps around lake ontario until spawn time.

but simcoe could definitely support a resident trout population, would be pretty cool to have a still water trout fishery there, i know there are other still water trout lakes in ontario

Keep in mind that the only salmon and trout/char native to Ontario are landlocked Atlantics, lakers and brookies. Steelhead and pacific salmon (chinooks, coho, pinks) are only native to the rivers west of the rockies and wouldn't have naturally occurred in lakes/rivers here prior to the 1800s.

Could a naturally self-sustaining population of steelhead or salmon exist in Lake Simcoe today? TBH I'm not sure but a whole lot of habitat restoration would likely need to occur to improve water quality, temperature and remove dams so that fish could access the coldwater stretches of the tributaries to spawn. Then there's the MNR's stance on introducing non-native fish to new bodies of water...

trout lake in northbay, landlocked atlantics that are actually self sustaining

According to this article, the landlocked salmon were first introduced to the lake in 1935 through stocking. Unfortunately a chemical spill in 1967 in their primary spawning creek pretty much wiped out that population until further re-stocking in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994 and 1995. It is pretty cool that we have a self-sustaining population of Ouananiche here in Ontario.

http://www.afs-oc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Fitchko1996.pdf

You got it MJL. It's the only inland, non-great lake in Ontario with a self-sustaining Atlantic Salmon population. The main spawing creek (Four Mile Creek) is a fish sanctuary year-round (and actually enforced during the smelt run now) and the fishing season is only one week per year. Even the lake trout are closed except for one week per year to ensure that the Salmon are not by-caught. There are tons of healthy lakers in that lake.

To me it's actually a shame that they don't continue stocking the lake with Atlantics to actually create a fishery, or just give up on the program, because the bi-product has been the waste of a fantastic lake trout fishery.

Anyway, back on topic, not sure if anyone has actually mentioned it here, but other than Atlantics, lakers and specks, all the other char/trout/salmon species are non-native to Ontario. So, if there are no connecting waterways to the great lakes, and Simcoe is no longer stocked, that is your reason why it has no Rainbows/Salmon.