Trolling Plates

glenner

Hello, It's been years since I've posted but I have remained a loyal lurker, checking the board almost daily and getting lots of valuable info.

Now I have a question that I hope I can get some help with.

I fish almost exclusievley on Sturgeon Lake, where I have a trailer, and I generally troll worm harnesses for walleyes.

I have a 16 foot aluminum side console (older) with a 35hp Merc (also older). The motor runs great but I can't get it to troll down slow enough. I have tried drift socks and 5 gallon pails, but they don't help enough. A friend suggested a trolling plate like this one

http://www.basspro.com/Happy-Troller/product/16089/

Has anyone had any experience with one of these that they could share with me? Is it worth the money? How about ease of installation and reliability?

Appreciate any feedback I could get.

Thanks,

Mike Rousseau - Thanks, I'm sure if it slows down that monster, it would do the same for my motor.

BillM - Both the sock and the bucket have slowed me down, but not as much as I'd like, so I was looking for another solution. Never thought about back trolling, that's something I've never done but might give that a try before spending the money on the trolling plate.

Thanks

I might spend the money getting the idle set lower before dropping $100.00 plus on a trolling plate. They do work well, I like the auto up plates, it comes up and drops depending on speed. On a smaller boat the plate you are looking at are fine. Back trolling is great also depending on the height of the transom and chop on the water.

Thanks O.I., I hadnt wanted to mess with the motor because it's always run so well, but that is probably worth trying first. The more I think of it, the more it seems to me that it may be idling a bit too high. Up until this year, I didn't have this problem and I could get the boat slow enough with a sock, it's just this season that I've had problems so maybe it is the idle.

glenner, idle screws or what ever mechanical adjustments for the carb are notorious for moving on it's own considering the vibrations and banging around that motor sees, especially on an older model. Like Bill said it only takes a few seconds on most ourboards to adjust. The mechanical float on buddies Mercruiser is another thing but that 35 you have should be simple, go for it.

edit, we have my 115 Mariner 2 stroke tuned so I can get 1.8 mph to pull harnesses. Took all of 5 minutes.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Sounds like your idle is set too high. I'd turn it down until it starts to chug and then go about another half turn up from there. Depending on what prop you have and what gear ratio your motor is that should net you between 1.5-2mph.

This is what the idle adjustment screw looks like on my 20hp, should look the same on just about any carb'd motor.

BDDBDC20-4DAE-41B8-9D9F-7DBE35A1A490.jpg

Make sure you play around with it when the engine is at proper operating temps.

Edited by Wagoneer

Do you have an electric motor?

If you do, just turn it so its pushing the opposite direction of your main. I can slow my troll down to almost stopped doing this.

My electric will troll me up to about 2.5mph, and my main will only go down to 2.5, but there are days when trollign with the electric is tough (windy), so I troll with the main, and use the bowmount to slow me down. Works like a charm.

S.

6ED3C8CE-4714-471D-B638-797AB2543CE4.jpg 4263CB93-9636-413B-A799-9C2C36D4080C.jpg06FA519A-F52B-4C20-903F-29530720B464.jpg this is a happy troller and I had a buddy modify it by putting another notch in it for more precise trolling speed and it turns easily and does the job perfectly I have had this plate for years and it's been on 2 motors now and it will pretty much last forever and works awesome !!!! It was on a 40hp before and is now on a 50hp they have 2 sizes of these 50hp & over and 50hp under mine is the smaller size !!!! Hope this helps

6ED3C8CE-4714-471D-B638-797AB2543CE4.jpg 4263CB93-9636-413B-A799-9C2C36D4080C.jpg06FA519A-F52B-4C20-903F-29530720B464.jpg this is a happy troller and I had a buddy modify it by putting another notch in it for more precise trolling speed and it turns easily and does the job perfectly I have had this plate for years and it's been on 2 motors now and it will pretty much last forever and works awesome !!!! It was on a 40hp before and is now on a 50hp they have 2 sizes of these 50hp & over and 50hp under mine is the smaller size !!!! Hope this helps

I like the mod idea.... Really cool...

Luckily on the Larry I don't need a troll plate... Most of my spots I can hold us still with my 50hp yammy... A lot I actually have to throttle up quite a bit to achieve my desired speed...

Took the suggestion to check my idle adjustment and sure enough it worked. Turned it down a bit, motor still ran fine and I got the trolling speed down to about 1.2 mph with a 5 gallon pail out. As a result, nailed a couple of nice Walters for the dinner table.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. Just goes to show, try the simple solution rather than jump for the most complicated or expensive right away!

Thanks again