24V Charging Question.

Moosebunk

Upgraded the trolling motor.

Running two deep cycle 12 volts in series for 24 volts. Everything working mint, batteries separately charge to 13.1 equally and are about the same age and use.

I haven't run a 24V set-up before. I have an Eliminator Intelligent 12V Charger so when needing to charge these batteries do I disconnect all, some, or no connections, and charge each battery alone or in some other way?

Guessing the 12V's will need to be charged separately?

It is a one bank Terry.

Two sorta different answers here, but regardless for now I'll be charging each separately by the sounds of it. Easy to get at these batteries. Will likely go with an onboard eventually, for now just want to get out there and play.

55PD up to 80Terrova should be fun on the Rebel.

Thanks doods.

Even when you get a 2 bank charger (which is 2 chargers in 1 box) 1 set of leads to 1 battery the other set to other battery.

No need to separate battery's. I never unplugged my trolling motor and I never operated the trolling motor when charging. That might be issue.

Even when you get a 2 bank charger (which is 2 chargers in 1 box) 1 set of leads to 1 battery the other set to other battery.

Of course, because he'll be using a 24V charger :) Same setup I use, 1 bank to bat #1, 2nd bank to bat #2, works great.

The only time I left anything connected with two batteries was when I was charging 2 12V in parallel in a 12V system. But hey, whatever works to get those batteries charged.

Drew, you'll love the Terrova, it's a great motor.

Ballllllls... and anchor... and sonar... and remote... and those really big gar shouldn't get away.

Remembered at home here I have a second one bank 12V charger same as the other. Should help speed the process if need be.

You got it wrong Bill. A 2 bank charger is 2-12 volt chargers in 1 box.

A 24 volt charge whole different animal.

My Guest will charge two 12V in series (Two leads, one to each battery), or a 24V system (One lead to each battery + and -), either or it doesn't matter. It's a 24V charger just like the box says.

Edited by BillM

i must say I have never seen one call itself a 24v charger , when it's a 2 bank charger @ 12v per bank

nor 36v for a 12v 3 bank charger

My Guest listed 12v/24V right on the box. There's really no point in charging the entire circuit at one time with a single lead., it would take way longer. One lead to each battery is definitely the way to do it.

Edited by BillM

The confusion is in the terminology. Bill's right in saying he has a 24V charger because that what the marine industry adopted when you have two batteries connected...thus the 24V electric motor. But, at the battery level it's still only 12V each. Bill's charger cannot charge a true 24V battery. It can charge two 12V batteries connected in series for 24V total OR two 12V batteries not connected for 12V EACH.

I have a 4 bank charger...36V TOTAL for the trolling motor batteries and 12V for the cranking battery. It is NOT a 48V charger in reality.

Oh so Moosebunk...you can absolutely charge your batteries without disconnecting them from each other. You will have to hook up the positive and negative to only ONE battery at a time though. If you put the positive to one battery and the negative to the other you will in essence be only charging 6.5V to each.

Also, I have a Motorguide digital motor and was told to always unplug it when charging. So just out of curiosity I called Minn Kota and got told the same thing. The new motors have circuit boards whereas the old motors were simple 12V wired systems. When charging, you batteries will be brought up to as high as 14.5V. This can damage the boards as the 30 or 40 amp circuit breaker is in no way going to protect against a voltage spike. In addition, it does the motor no good to have the circuit board energized full time.

Edited by grimsbylander

Oh so Moosebunk...you can absolutely charge your batteries without disconnecting them from each other. You will have to hook up the positive and negative to only ONE battery at a time though. If you put the positive to one battery and the negative to the other you will in essence be only charging 6.5V to each.

Cool.

That's what I'll do for now. With two chargers kicking around too, if it's gotta get done quick it will.

grimsbylander,

I disagree with you definition

it is a 2 bank 12v charger

not a 24v charger in anyway or one would tend to assure it would charge a 24v battery

its sole purpose is to charge 12v batteries and they do not gave to be in series you can hook one up to your deepcycle and one up to you starter battery.......

I think I'll just listen to grimsbylander on this subject, lol! 24V in series, definitely isn't the same as a true 24V battery, which is what Garnet was most likely talking about (and which my charger wouldn't be able to charge)

Drew, keep everything connected, uunplug the motor, and charge one battery at a time until you get an onboard 2 bank charger.

If you have two chargers, put one on each battery. Still no need to dissconnect them.

Simple.

Enjoy the new setup! Im jealous!!

S.

grimsbylander,

I disagree with you definition

it is a 2 bank 12v charger

not a 24v charger in anyway or one would tend to assure it would charge a 24v battery

its sole purpose is to charge 12v batteries and they do not gave to be in series you can hook one up to your deepcycle and one up to you starter battery.......

You should re-read my post. I'm not saying it's a 24V charger, it's the companies that make them that advertise them as 12V/24V chargers. My 4 bank is advertised as 12-48 volts. THATS what causes the confusion.

The confusion is in the terminology. Bill's right in saying he has a 24V charger because that what the marine industry adopted when you have two batteries connected...thus the 24V electric motor. But, at the battery level it's still only 12V each. Bill's charger cannot charge a true 24V battery. It can charge two 12V batteries connected in series for 24V total OR two 12V batteries not connected for 12V EACH.

I have a 4 bank charger...36V TOTAL for the trolling motor batteries and 12V for the cranking battery. It is NOT a 48V charger in reality.

Also, I have a Motorguide digital motor and was told to always unplug it when charging. So just out of curiosity I called Minn Kota and got told the same thing. The new motors have circuit boards whereas the old motors were simple 12V wired systems. When charging, you batteries will be brought up to as high as 14.5V. This can damage the boards as the 30 or 40 amp circuit breaker is in no way going to protect against a voltage spike. In addition, it does the motor no good to have the circuit board energized full time.

You should re-read my post. I'm not saying it's a 24V charger, it's the companies that make them that advertise them as 12V/24V chargers. My 4 bank is advertised as 12-48 volts. THATS what causes the confusion.

your mistake was stating "Bill's right in saying he has a 24V charger"

had you said 12/24 I could except that,

but one has to know it means 12v x2 for a 24v system