Dipsy Divers for the first time.

davey buoy

Myself and two others are going to try this set up this Sat,weather permitting.Myself,using a #0 dipsy with my 7' ugly stick,and my ABU 6600 round reel. Two guest have line counters and #1 dipsy's.9' rods as well.

The charts that come with them give you a fairly good idea with line out and how deep.This is mostly based on 20lb mono.

However,I will be using braid,8/30 power pro to dipsy,12" snubber and 9' of 15lb fluro leader.

Would anyone know what the drop distance would be using 8/30 braid instead of 20lb mono?.The chart says 275'line out for 40' down.In your experience how much further down would I be using that scale as a guide with braid of course?.

Or do I use a lot less line out because of the no stretch issue?.Just a guide or your personal experience using braid or wire lines..I will upgrade my gear as needed,just a test so far,that's why I purchased the smaller #0 dipsy.

Thanks as always for your help.

Dave.

as far as i am aware the dispy chart does not account for line stretch...correct me if i am wrong people?

As an added tip, when letting the line out, do so by letting the tension off the line. If you open the bail sometimes your line will sink below the dipsy and cause you to have a huge mess.

Let the tension go and let the dipsy take your line out. Also this is handy

Dipsy_Diver.jpg

275'? Holy crap I wouldn't want to be the one reeling in that rig, lol! Dave which size Dipsy do you have? On a #3 setting this spring I was hitting bottom in 50ft of water running maybe 125ft-150ft out (40lb PP on my setups).

I also like letting the dipsys out on the clicker instead of free spool, they'll tangle if they just drop right to the bottom (Or so I've found)

Edited by BillM

there are lateral settings on the dypsy. 0-3. the more out to the side it goes, the less deep

275' seems way long for 40 ft. even at the 3 setting

That did not seem right to me as well. It does say 0 right down the middle will be the lowest it will get, Braid should get down a lot farther from what I have heard for the same line distance out?

275'? Holy crap I wouldn't want to be the one reeling in that rig, lol! Dave which size Dipsy do you have? On a #3 setting this spring I was hitting bottom in 50ft of water running maybe 125ft-150ft out (40lb PP on my setups).

I also like letting the dipsys out on the clicker instead of free spool, they'll tangle if they just drop right to the bottom (Or so I've found)

Bill it's a #0,maybe 3.5" diameter.Just trying it with my heaviest outfit.I did hear it could drop with braid to 75-80".Kinda looking for feet out as somewhat of a guide .

as far as i am aware the dispy chart does not account for line stretch...correct me if i am wrong people?

As an added tip, when letting the line out, do so by letting the tension off the line. If you open the bail sometimes your line will sink below the dipsy and cause you to have a huge mess.

Let the tension go and let the dipsy take your line out. Also this is handy

Dipsy_Diver.jpg

Like the chart,what is a dodger?

Yeah so that's a big one. You definitely want to run that on a #3 setting to get it away from the boat. I would start out in say 60ft of water and let line out until it ticks bottom..(Simcoe is mostly sand you won't hurt anything). That will be about the easiest way to really figure out how deep/how much line you'll wanna let out.

Davey, a dodger is just a flasher (Similar to a Spin Doctor). An attractant put a few feet up from your lure.

Edited by BillM

What others said about letting the line out slowly, under tension.

Also noticed that with snubber + flouro you are going to have 10 ft from dipsey to lure? You need to be on a big boat to land fish ;).

From dipsey to snubber to SD/flasher to lure, I run between 7 & 8 ft max. My boat is 21 ft.

Personally Dipsys have been more trouble than I want here on Erie. Takes 1 silver Bass to take an outside Dipsy and run straight across into the other lines. I lost an entire spool of leadcore and 3 colours on another. And had to cut a trip short and the Pics were on fire that day. We only had one rod left of 4 we could fish with. Peed me off.

For line types and depth go to the Luhr Jenson website, it has all the depths with different line.

Bring a screwdriver and a piece of sandpaper to tune the Dipsy for releasing it when you want. They are not set up out of the package. This should be done in the swimming pool, a waste of good fishing time on the water.

Donèt even bother to bring a #1 out on the water. Try reeling in that baby that is out 200 feet. A workout. I have 2 you can have.

There is a difference ring on or off. I super glue the rings on, they have a tendency to come off that will screw the lure action up. I donèt know how many times I reeled in a line to find the ring spinning around. Glue them on.

Make a copy of the chart and enlarge it. I tape mine on the inside of my clear box of plugs so I can read it easily. No way you can remember all the depths and settings.

Why is it every time I use the shift key I get an e with the French highlight show up like this one ÉÉÉ. Itès something to do with the blue items on the keysÉÉÉ. Oh man.

Personally Dipsys have been more trouble than I want here on Erie. Takes 1 silver Bass to take an outside Dipsy and run straight across into the other lines. I lost an entire spool of leadcore and 3 colours on another. And had to cut a trip short and the Pics were on fire that day. We only had one rod left of 4 we could fish with. Peed me off.

For line types and depth go to the Luhr Jenson website, it has all the depths with different line.

Bring a screwdriver and a piece of sandpaper to tune the Dipsy for releasing it when you want. They are not set up out of the package. This should be done in the swimming pool, a waste of good fishing time on the water.

Donèt even bother to bring a #1 out on the water. Try reeling in that baby that is out 200 feet. A workout. I have 2 you can have.

There is a difference ring on or off. I super glue the rings on, they have a tendency to come off that will screw the lure action up. I donèt know how many times I reeled in a line to find the ring spinning around. Glue them on.

Make a copy of the chart and enlarge it. I tape mine on the inside of my clear box of plugs so I can read it easily. No way you can remember all the depths and settings.

Why is it every time I use the shift key I get an e with the French highlight show up like this one ÉÉÉ. Itès something to do with the blue items on the keysÉÉÉ. Oh man.

Thanks sir,will check out the website.

Line Out:

25'

50'

75'

100'

125'

Side Setting on Base Plate Small Size Dipsy(3/0) N/A

N/A

N/A

20' 25' 0 setting (no side planing) Med. Size Dipsy (0) 13'

21'

27' 31' 34' 0 setting (no side planing) Med. Size Dipsy (0) 7'

14'

19'

23' 28' 3 setting (Furthest side planing setting) Large Size Dipsy (1) 18'

32'

44'

53' 60' 0 setting (no side planing) Large Size Dipsy (1) 14'

24'

32'

40' 45' 3 setting (Furthest side planing setting)

This shows a lot less line out with a # 0 dipsy,unless I'm reading this wrong?

Line Out:

25'

50'

75'

100'

125'

Side Setting on Base Plate Small Size Dipsy(3/0) N/A

N/A

N/A

20' 25' 0 setting (no side planing) Med. Size Dipsy (0) 13'

21'

27' 31' 34' 0 setting (no side planing) Med. Size Dipsy (0) 7'

14'

19'

23' 28' 3 setting (Furthest side planing setting) Large Size Dipsy (1) 18'

32'

44'

53' 60' 0 setting (no side planing) Large Size Dipsy (1) 14'

24'

32'

40' 45' 3 setting (Furthest side planing setting)

This shows a lot less line out with a # 0 dipsy,unless I'm reading this wrong?

This chart did not transfer well.

You must have hit the Shift key and the CTRL key at the same time to activate the second set of special keys. Simply push the SHIFT Key and the CTRL key again and it will go back to normal. Sometimes it takes a second try. I find it works better using the keys on the left sie of the board. Not kidding. You must push them together, not one and then the other. Or just reboot. LOL

Edited by Walleye72

Don't forget to adjust your release pin on the dipsey. I find that out of the package they are set a bit tight and won't release on smaller fish. Too loose and they will release under load while deploying or an increase in speed our outside turns.

I used to use an 8lb cannon ball to calibrate release tension, but now I go on 'feel'.

Edited by pikeslayer

Don't forget to adjust your relapse pin on the dipsey. I find that out of the package they are set a boot tight and won't release on smaller fish. Too loose and they will release under load while deploying or an increase in speed our outside turns.

I used to use an 8lb cannon ball to calibrate release tension, but now I go on 'feel'.

Didn't see a adjutment on the release pin,but will check again,thanks.