The spinnerbait debate, again

Dave Bailey

I know the question of 'open or closed' has already been done, and it seems to be personal preference. Obviously the open eye type can be a pain when using snap-swivels instead of tying directly on, but for some of us who travel with minimal equipment snap-swivels are just so much easier and quicker.

So, how about this: Take a short section of line, tie it directly to the spinnerbait, and at the other end put a normal swivel. Then you can easily hook it to a snap-swivel. Has anyone else done this? Can't see it affecting the action, and can't see why it wouldn't work. I'll probably try it this weekend up at Silent Lake PP.

I carry a bunch of really cheap o-rings I use around the nose or clip on area. I always use a clasp,and the oring keeps it from sliding down.One of the best inventions ever lol.

Hmmm, I've got a bunch of small O-rings, never thought of that. Wouldn't be as quick as my idea, but worth a shot.

Dave are you not concerned about the swivel kickin your bait off being true?

If a snap-swivel doesn't affect it (and it doesn't) why would an extra swivel mess it up? From what I've seen a spinnerbait is self-righting, no matter which way it hits the water it always retrieves with the blade on top.

You can also slide a small piece of plastic tubing over the eye.

BINGO

Although I dont use it a lot Lew,it does work.

I tie direct with a palomar knot. Sometimes it slides around,but I can live with it.

All my spinner baits are open not loop eyes.

You can also slide a small piece of plastic tubing over the eye.

BINGO

Although I dont use it a lot Lew,it does work.

I tie direct with a palomar knot. Sometimes it slides around,but I can live with it.

All my spinner baits are open not loop eyes.

Sometimes I use the plastic tubing or snap swivel but this year I started doing the same as Misfish

I like a good spinnerbait, Nichols Pulsators. R style bend, with the 16lb and 20lb Fluoro I use I've had the knot slide down 1 or 2 times over the last 2 seasons. It stays in it's spot, I do a aggressive "snap" of the rod when the blade hits the water so it runs straight. Here is a picture of one, I've had Strike King and Booyas rust out, blades turn bad, have had the wire pop from the lead on them. Spend the extra 2 coffees on one and give them a go. The glitter on the blades is awesome, love the detail, the blades spin great, there is a spring also on them.

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 6.08.27 PM.png

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Booyas rust out

NAY NAY NAY I SAY

I have used the same 12 I have over the last threes years,and I fish them a lot.

Thats why I say,BOOYA BABY, when I get those fish on. :P:D .

Edited by Misfish

One better than another... Bass guys... LOL. When I do use spinnerbaits I find both smallmouth and largemouth will eat the cheapest 3 for $10 spinnerbaits no problem! Further, I prefer the closed loop style so my line doesn't slide. I take needle nose pliers ( the horrors) and give the open loop style a twist and presto, closed loop! Not pretty, but the spinnerbait is just as effective as before! Keep it simple!

mikethebassfisher, you stole my spinnerbait :)

the nichols pulsator is the best spinnerbait on the market in my opinion....but just that ... my opinion....once we find the "right" spinnerbait, no matter the brand, then we are happy.

but if your an angler who is still "looking", have a look the pulsator.

Nichols just was purchased by a young fella in the southern USA. He's a good guy and is working hard. The old owners were a sweet old couple ... when you placed an order the older lady would talk your ear off about fishing pickwick. I love it!!

edit: you can tell the difference between the original pulsator and the new pulsator from the new owners by the "eye" on the head of the spinnerbait. No eye on the original.

Edited by Steve

garnet, the nichols, due to their style of blaids, also make for the best burning spinnerbait on the market....

that technique is generally used for largies.

yes, it can be slow rolled as well, and due to the blades, can go deeper, (which is why your thinking smallies).

but those blaids are also perfect for burning....

Didn't have to say it myself, smallies love them that's for sure…Had several boat side smashes over 20ft of water last september they were on fire, the blade spins better than any I've seen, a cheap spinnerbait catches fish than wares out…these don't, look at the big hook, the blades, wire, spring, glitter type designs they work…and I should of kept that pic a secret :P Can't wait to get back, I didn't fish them much kind of forgot about the trailer hook thing. I have since added 2 packs of them onto my dozen blades I own.

7am, big wind cold september day do they ever crush blades!

DSCN1003_zps3b753760.jpg

MTBF

I generally burn blades for smallies with a few wrinkles thrown in. Burning blades for largies is a dink fest. No interest for me.

|Mike theirs a few more important quality's for blades. Nichols are the best looking forward to see new owners product hope he doesn't mess it up.

Edited by Garnet

I generally burn blades for smallies with a few wrinkles thrown in. Burning blades for largies is a dink fest. No interest for me.

|Mike theirs a few more important quality's for blades. Nichols are the best looking forward to see new owners product hope he doesn't mess it up.

The ones I have are all "older" ones. I will fish some of these new model's with the eye ball and see if the quality has changed.