Worm harness line question

misfish

lose the occasional tooth critter which i'm ok with, generally not targeting pike and musky with harnesses

regular wire kinks easily, titanium wire is pricey and both require additional knots/crimps...where as mono is much faster to rig up with a couple snells

If you making them for yourself... And that's if... You better off making a kit and bringing that instead of 20 spinners on a noodle...

I have a small box with all the different beads... Blades... Hooks...quick change Clevises I need and a spool of whatever line you decide on...

If I need a spinner it takes 5 minutes to make one... Then I don't worry about running out of "red and silver".... I can make as many as I want...

nice, no doubt they'll get bites

looks like the line is sitting funny off the snell on the front hook, but don't think that matters much, but maybe affect how it pulls?

I rig up a bunch ready to fish at home, in my favourite colour/blade/bead combinations, but I also keep a few bare hooks snelled so I can rig to conditions

only reason I like flat foam better to store the rigs, is because it sits nicer in my tackle bag...pool foam is a bit bulky

I see no reason why they won't catch a fish. :good:B) Get out there and give us a field tested report. ;)

Edit - I see what you're saying BFW. In this link the end of the line comes out the bottom and in the image it is cut, in Brian's case it would go to the second hook. It appears to come off the top of your hook B and may give it some weird action. :dunno: I've never made my own and certainly no expert.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/snell-knot-uni-version/

Edited by fishnsled

looks like the line is sitting funny off the snell on the front hook, but don't think that matters much, but maybe affect how it pulls?

Ya,I dont think I but enough wraps. Im sure I will get better at it.

I went with 25 lb test. Only cause were I/we troll them,there are toothy critters.

I,ll be trying different lb tests

Thanks

IMAG1360_zpsdf47b771.jpg

IMAG1361_zps42e25279.jpg

Plenty tied up. Most with quick change clevises. Spare blades, beads and weights inside the yellow tubes. I'll tie new ones on the water if I have to but I hate tying on the water. Too many fish to catch, a boat to control, too wavy and too cold to manipulate fingers for good knots. Compared to the space that all my lures take up a couple dozen harnesses and spare parts is negligible.

Nice Brian but there's another little thing you should look at.....if you're using two different size blades, always put the small blade at the front. The way yours are set up, the larger blade at the front will stop the rear smaller blade from turning. That's why spinnerbaits always have the small blade at the front. BTW, I make mine 3' to 4' long with a small swivel at the front.

Nice Brian but there's another little thing you should look at.....if you're using two different size blades, always put the small blade at the front. The way yours are set up, the larger blade at the front will stop the rear smaller blade from turning. That's why spinnerbaits always have the small blade at the front. BTW, I make mine 3' to 4' long with a small swivel at the front.

Now you tell me brudder. :D

Ya,I can see how that would not work.

I do have swivels for attaching the main line to.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the tips Roy.

Well,I made two.

What ya think?

:dunno::dunno:

003_zpsfaca3f2e.jpg

I found some trout beads in my tickle trunk. The seem to work ok.

Look good Misfish! :thumbsup_anim: Here is another link that might help with the 2nd hook orientation: http://www.thebeacon.net/local-news/item/3229

I might suggest adding some smaller beads around the blades on the first harness, those large beads might interfere with your blades.

Last year when I used pre-made harnesses, I lost a few nice fish close to the boat, but now that I can choose a higher quality (and slightly larger) hook(s), seems to have made a difference...not that I've set the walleye world on fire yet this season.

Edited by Spanky

I like single blades, and never make them longer than 2ft. No need for where I fish.

I honestly find the simpler the better. My all time fav is silver hammered colorado blade with red beads. Catches everything that swims.

S.

As for space Rob,my float a boat dosent have that much storge. :tease:

I will be using a slip bullet weight, to get it down. I dont think I can get the flippers moving me 1 mph :dunno::excl:

That's why you would use a single yellow tube. And if there isn't space for that then the only option would be small zip top bags that you could put individual harnesses.

I might suggest adding some smaller beads around the blades on the first harness, those large beads might interfere with your blades.

I thought that as well. I swung the harness and it seems to spin. Time will tell.

Thanks for the additional link.

I make mine 3' to 4' long

Well I reversed the blades Roy,and now have a 6 inch harness.

I sure hope size dosent matter here. :w00t::lol:

I like single blades, and never make them longer than 2ft. No need for where I fish.

Shane,they are both 12 inches long.. Wll they were before the correction. :)

the only option would be small zip top bags that you could put individual harnesses

Those I have lots of. One for the cell,one for the smokes and lighter,and so on.. :rolleyes:

Now back to tying. :good:

Yes, off a bottom bouncer, 4ft is standard. I only use a bouncer in 20ft or deeper, and its not very often I have to fish that deep. Generally in water less than 15ft, a 1/4 oz bullet weight 2ft from the spinner will get you down where the fish are, with about 100ft of line out, trolling 1.3-1.5 mph.

I like them 2ft because most times the weight will catch the weeds, and the spinner will still be clear. Its a lot easier to manage a 2ft lead than a 4 ft lead in that situation IMO. I also find a lot of times when I hook a weed, I give it a good rip, and right when the spinner frees from the weeds is when the fish will hit.....there is a short pause as it comes off the weeds, and whammo! ;)

S.

Agree I use 15 or 20 lb florouclear P-Line. Only real difference is the 20 lb is a little harder to snell b/c the diameter of the line is too thick for some hooks' eyelets as you try to double back to snell the hook. Both sizes acquitted themselves well recently after a week of pounding by both the rocks and walleyes of Georgian Bay. I was pleasantly surprised with their durability. Also, I have found that the easiest way to store is to slice a section of pool noodle about 3/4 to 1 in and thread the harness one per slice. The blade sits well inside the hole and you can stuff a bunch individually into a plastic tackle tray. This worked better for me than slicing a larger section and threading 5-6 per section.

Hey Brian, I used to hand tie my hooks, but found pre tie hooks on 14lb fluoro 48" long at bass pro. I can make a whack of rigs in no time and way easier on the hands. They also come with red hooks that make a big difference in my opinion.

Scooter