Micro Burst - Uptergrove

cheaptackle

About 6:45 pm an unconfirmed micro burst hit the Uptergrove area - took out BOTH of the shelters I was using for the yard sale. We've got one back up and tossed everything inside tonight. Garage & house roof have shingles peeled off, fire & hydro were both down Plum Point road for downed trees, lotsa green branches on Highway 12 east of Rama rd. My friends said they watched both shelters inflate then flip over. Party tent is destroyed but the portable garage just flipped over end for end (one ground stake set out of four held) so we could get it back up again. Hope no one in the area was hurt - I was at home at the time (Lake St. John) and saw nothing up here but sure sped down there when I got the call! Guess I got a full days work ahead of me salvaging what I can - might be opening a little later tomorrow (wanna say LOL but ain't got it in me right now).

Really hope everyone else came thru ok in the area.

Michael

That's brutal cheaptackle. I was waiting for a storm tonight but it passed over us. I love a good storm, but I guess i should be careful what I wish for. Hope everything alright now and everyone is safe.

Thanks Joey & Cliff. Brutal just barely describes the devastation last night. Several thousand dollars worth of product got exposed to heavy rains when the party tent was totally destroyed. I'll find out in a bit just how much was lost - probably all the tackle is still good (it is tackle after all!) but all the packaging will have been soaked. It's gonna be interesting and heart breaking at the same time - I spent over 2 weeks setting this up and it was wiped out in just a few minutes. More rain in the forecast too - just what I need right now. We will push on though - have to!

Michael

I could spend a day helping clean things up, I can't do a lot of heavy lifting but I could help repackage stuff or things like that. I also have a generator and a chainsaw that I could bring with me if you need. Just let me know, I could probably be there in 2 hours or less! House is 705-328-0577 cell 705-928-8899

Wow!! It's amazing how much damage can occur in a few short seconds isn't it? I hope the clean up goes well!

I was on an overpass in Pickering years ago. I was stopped at a red light with the 401 beside me. All of the sudden the clouds turned green and I said "uh oh!". The micro burst hit...my car was hit broad side by it and actually started to lean it towards the guard rail. I peered over the rail at the 401 below and for a split second I thought I was going over! A few road signs were ripped from the pavement and flew by my car...narrowly missing me but hitting the guy in front of me. After it was all over, people got out of their cars....palms up and shoulders shrugging. No one was hurt thankfully, but it was incredible the power of the wind. I found out later on the news that it was a microburst.

Thanks to all of you! Damage and loss seems to be limited to the party tent itself and maye 1-2% product loss but 100% did get wet. Many items actually dried out overnight in the portable garage and I still managed a decent days sales. Big Cliff - a special thanks for your offer pal - just read it now and it's all good, I'll be packing it all up Wednesday if there's anything left to pack after tomorrow.

Found out that the carport door got ripped off too, couple damaged trees & fence. More downed trees visible in the area (wasn't really looking last night) and all day I could hear several chainsaws running in the distance. Couple of forestry trucks stopped in to the sale and advised they and several others were working in the immediate area cleaning up what Hydro had tossed off the roads & lines along with other damage. Never hear a word on the radio about it though, so it must have been a small burst. Just hope we can get thru the next two days - forecast ain't the best at all but I'm due for a little good luck (I hope!).

Michael

Just notice this thread Michael. There seems to be a lot of unsettled weather this year. It can happen anywhere it seems.

Hope your all set up again with little loss. (I see when posting,you had already posted)

Again for those that can get out to his sale,you will get great deals and a happy welcome.

Stay safe.

Appreciated Brian. Hope you're getting lotsa use & enjoyment from the new toys!

I was further amazed and moved beyond words sunday night when my friends Bert & Liz, their son Billy & daughter in law Ellen, and Skipper D from this board along with his wife Bev all turned to and bore down till we had secured things enough for the overnight. Even with the skies still threatening and the amount of work involved with deconstructing then reassembling an overturned garage shelter, standing up 16 foot long displays and getting things somewhat under a roof (along with the thick swarm of skeeters that decided to come feast on us) not one complaint was made and in fact there was lotsa kidding around as 7 people just pulled together as a team. You'd swear we'd done this before but it was the first (and last I hope!) time we had all come together at the same time let alone for the task at hand. Once this is all behind me I guarantee there will be an evening soiree with steaks for all that were there - I had never felt so helpless EVER as when I pulled in that driveway after getting the call and saw the apparent damage - for a few minutes I was lost and man that didn't feel good at all. These good people brought me back and helped to restore order from chaos - saved me from a total loss and helped to put things together. I can't say enough to show how much I appreciate them, so I'll stop now before I end up sitting here typing all night!

Michael

Nope - I was on highway 12 with the "fishing gear sale" signs - right across from Knox Church & Leska's deli. Today was the last day- sale was a HUGE success, cleared out a lot of inventory at great deals for those who got there. Thanks to all who came - I had an absolute BLAST doing it!

Michael