Centerpin rookie - please help!

shaker

I just bought my first centerpin, an Okuma Aventa. I've been fishing for steelhead with my spinning rod for 3 years and am feeling very comfortable reading the water and have been catching my share of fish, so I finally decided to try a pin.

I'm a bit nervous about trying it, but hope I'll catch on without too many problems.

I have a lot of questions and have been reading the forums which are helping immensely.

My first question is about line. The guy at the store said I should use backing, but I've read mixed things about this. Is it necessary? If so, what kind and how much should I put on? Also, how full should the spool be?

Also, hopefully this question isn't too stupid, is there any advantage to reeling with your left hand vs. right hand? I've always used my right, but it seems I'm in the minority.

And if you have any advice for my first time out, please let me know. Thanks.

Backing saves you money, at the end of the day. I prefer dacron, since it is lighter than old mono, and does not absorb water like mono. It saves money because you put as much dacron on the spool as you need, then only add 200 yds/meters of mono to take it within 1/8" of the lip of the spool. EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE LINE.

If you usually reel with your right, it means that you are a left handed person to me. Why change? you probably will cast more accurately and further than you would with your right arm. Ergonomics.

Welcome to the fold!

Edited by floatman55

I can say from experience that practice will make it a lot more fun when you hit a river with it. I went out with mine when I first purchased it a couple times and couldn't cast for crap with it. I was in a river with everybody else catching fish because they were able to place the float where it needed to be. I was determined not to have to go back to the car which was only 50ft away and revert to using a spinning reel setup because I had spent good money on a float reel. So after 2 trips where I wasn't getting fish when I should have been I went out in the field beside my apartment and practiced. It was great I saw about 10 friends who I fish with drive by and wave honk their horns and have a good laugh at my expense. I also managed to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Next trip out I was able to cast with a bit more precision and I caught fish, just as easily as I had with my spinning reel.

Thanks guys. How important is it to fill the spool right up to the 1/8" from the lip?

Not super duper important unless you're making long bomber casts where your distance will be affected.

As for line, stick to something simple like 8-12lb Trilene and utilize the side cast. You'll get some line twist, but it's the easiest to learn..

My 2 cents worth, putting backing on will save you in the long run but is more expensive to start with. But just learning I would suggest just filling the reel with mono. A spool of Raven is only $13. Put backing on the next time you go to change the line. JMO

Dan

My first outing with the new reel wasn't a total disaster but I have a lot of practicing to do.

Good news, no birds nests!

The bad news, I couldn't control where my float was going at all. After a few years of figuring out how to read the water, I could not hit my spot or even come close. More than half the time it landed less than 10 feet away from me. Needless to say, no fish.

Also, my wrist got really tired so I must be holding the rod incorrectly or something.

Thanks Dan on your line filling suggestion, that is what I had done so I don't feel like I'm doing anything majorly wrong on that, but I will go to backing eventually since that's what most of you are saying.

I'll keep at it and maybe post and update in case anyone cares :)

When you spend the time to learn any skill, (doesn't matter if its casting a CP, or a spinning reel or tying a new knot) repetition and paying attention to the small details, all help.

I don't know one person that learned how to cast a Centerpin in a single outing.

So enjoy the journey.

as for casting and float control...practice, practice, practice...summer time carp will get you ready for fall in no time

with the wrist thing...how/where is the reel mounted? sliding rings or fixed seat? if sliding, try adjusting where the reel sits

when I first started out it seemed like everybody mounted the reel closer to the butt, which does not work for me...so eventually I just did what felt most comfortable for me, and mounted my reel slightly forward of the center point on the handle....I've since had a few custom rods built with a balancing weight system in the butt, I had right hand issues and having a rod that was overall heavier, but balanced made a huge difference

Dont be afraid to ask while your out there on the banks. When I started I was horrible. BillM made a trip with me and got me started on the casting. Then I hooked up with a fella on the river which showed me the ins and outs. Im a side caster. To help prevent line twists, I run a micro 3 barrel swivel. It helps

^ Very valid points made by bfd!

Balance is one of the keys to comfort.

I might add that how you hold the rod also makes a huge difference as well. If your wrist is sore, you need to let the portion of the rod behind the reel rest under and against your forearm. Trying to hold all that weight with your wrist will result in severe tendonitis/ carpal tunnel issues. I might add that when it comes time to be setting hooks, or lifting the rod for retrieval of line after every drift, sore shoulders and elbows can be a result. I'm speaking from experience here. (I've had several cortisone shots over the years)

Golfers and Tennis players have similar issues when they try and overcome technique or equipment issues with their bodies. I'd recommend that you talk to, and observe CP anglers while fishing.

I once sat back and watched a guy so long on the stream that he became concerned for his well being! lol.

I then divulged my reasons for watching him, and he was very helpful; thanks!

When I was learning a fellow close to me took the time and showed me how to side cast.Took 5 mins max.Not saying you don't have to fine tune your skills,but I was way out in left field.His 5 mins of time was all I needed and able to throw a line out.IMO,you need to meet up with a fellow like that,and you'll never look back.

If anyone's interested...my Day 2 update:

My casting has really improved thanks to some of your tips (see below). I've been trying the side cast and Wallis cast and am hitting my spot maybe 75% of the time. I know that means I still have lots of practicing to do, but compared to yesterday I'm pretty happy. Still no fish though, but that may be a blessing in disguise, as I can focus on practicing my casts.

I moved the reel away from the butt and that made such a huge difference, I can't thank you guys (bare foot wader and floatman especially) enough for that advice.

While I'm at it I might as well add another stupid question. When I use backing (which I'm not now, but will eventually), how do I connect it to the main line?

glad to hear it, if you're not comfortable you're not going to fish as focused or as long

many different knots to connect to mainline, somewhat depends on the type of backing you use...for myself I have most confidence with an improved Albright, easy to tie and goes through guides easily

I like to use 20 lb Dacron, but mono and cheap fly line are also popular...I probably fill up more Dacron than most, I do a good 2/3 to 3/4 of the spool with Dacron to take up space, and I only run about 100 yds of mainline...I like to fish fresh mainline, fresh handles better, plus it's more expensive than Dacron and don't really need a half spool of it...when a fish runs into my backing, I have complete trust in my Albright knot, and on most ON rivers it's highly unlikely to let a fish get more than 100 yds out on you

how you hold the rod/reel was also very solid advice, my butt is usually tucked under my arm pit/against ribs, kind of acts as an anchor point when I set the hook....and under the forearm when you're extending your arm for more reach, little things to reduce the strain on your hand and wrist....try different hand positions until you find what you like

Lots of different ways to utilize the backing.
I tape the end of the backing to the bare spool with masking tape. Then wind on the Dacron till there is a little less than 1/4" of room on the spool. Then I tape down the end again. No need to tie the backing to the mono, since you will never get to it while fishing. This eliminates trying to cover knots, and it keeps the bed of the spool smooth. Then you just tie on the mono with an arbor knot, and wind on 250-300 yds of mono. I've been doing it this way for a few years. Works well for me and others I've mentioned it to.
I should add that I use 50lb kite string as backing. I bought a 3000 ft spool for $20 a few years ago. I've done many reels, and still have enough left for a few more. The 50 lb fills up the spool faster, and is easy to keep level when winding on.
Price is up from three years ago.
Try here;
https://goodwinds.com/line-winders/braided-dacron.html

Edited by floatman55

Hi again guys. Before this thread inevitably dies I just want to ask one more question. Soon I'm hoping to land some fish with my new setup (I guess that goes without saying). I landed my share with my spinning setup and it was relatively easy with the drag etc. but I'm sure it's going to be a whole different animal with the centerpin.

Can you please give me any advice about playing and landing steelhead for a novice pinner? I have no idea what to expect, let alone what to do.