Live Minnows Questions

skdds

Does anyone keep leftover live minnows bought from tackle shops for future outings?

If so, what is the best way to keep them alive and well for a future outing?..In the summer I keep the minnow bucket (closed tightly of course) in the lake when I'll be there a few days, but how about during the spring or winter or when you live in the cities and the next trip may be in a week or so?

-skdds

In the winter, I leave them in the cool basement (about 5 degrees) at the cottage, in a 5 gallon pail with an aerator

Other guys I know leave them in a minnow bucket, under the ice, below their hut. They use a chainsaw to cut out a big block instead of an auger.

If you live in Toronto you may want to think about using clean water from a river or lake if you cant get that then you may want to use tap water but you must use something to neutralise chloramine along with lots of air and the colder the water the better.

Do Not Use bottled water the Ph is to low.!!

Good luck.

During the winter I keep them in the garage. I add snow to replenishing the water. I also fill a water bottle half full of the water and shake it and pour it back in to aerate the water. I usually only keep them a week like this; sometimes a little longer.

Try to keep the water it came in (don't use tap water). I've kept 20+ dace in a 5 L bucket for upwards of 2 weeks without any of them dying. Shiners are another story but if you're talking summertime I'm assuming you're talking chubs and dace...

I've never kept shiners, just noting that they're more finnicky than dace

Yeah, emeralds are picky but I find the biggest thing is keep it cold and make sure you're not using untreated tap water if you've gotta top up the tank. I use a wee bit of bread crumbs every few weeks for food.

My grandfather has been keeping minnows year round in an old freezer for ages. He usually has about 4 or 5 dozen.The freezer is slightly larger than an apartment size one. Doesn't work, all you need is the insulated tank. Keep it out of the sun. Always have an aerator on. In the winter put an incandescent light in there and the heat of the light will keep it from freezing over. You can use bread crumbs but aquarium fish food works great , they will stay alive longer. If you want to go hardcore you can put in a powerhead from an aquarium store to circulate the water and give some current. As others have said, always treat your tap water, if that is what you are using, with something to remove the chlorine and chloramine. Get that stuff at Big Al's or your local pet store.

Big garbage day is right around the corner. Do some street shopping and you too can be the proud new owner of a minnow tank for free! Paint it to blend in with the house and you are set! lol

In the winter & spring I've been able to keep minnows for several weeks. I use a large plastic tote placed in the garage. Cool air temps is necessary. I have a small air circulating pump from an ornamental turtle from my fish pond to provide the bubbles. Works very well. Summer is too hot - I have never had much success keeping minnows alive.

My grandfather has been keeping minnows year round in an old freezer for ages. He usually has about 4 or 5 dozen.The freezer is slightly larger than an apartment size one. Doesn't work, all you need is the insulated tank. Keep it out of the sun. Always have an aerator on. In the winter put an incandescent light in there and the heat of the light will keep it from freezing over. You can use bread crumbs but aquarium fish food works great , they will stay alive longer. If you want to go hardcore you can put in a powerhead from an aquarium store to circulate the water and give some current. As others have said, always treat your tap water, if that is what you are using, with something to remove the chlorine and chloramine. Get that stuff at Big Al's or your local pet store.

Big garbage day is right around the corner. Do some street shopping and you too can be the proud new owner of a minnow tank for free! Paint it to blend in with the house and you are set! lol

YEP - when I was a teenager I used to trap minnows for myself/dad/uncles and I had an old deep freeze that I got off Kijiji for like $35. Kept it so that the water was as cold as I could get it without freezing it and had an aquarium pump/filter... they would easily last all summer and I always had minnows on demand... shiners, big suckers you name it.

Something you or others may want to consider if you plan on having a minnow tank for extended periods of time is to do regular water changes 25% every week this is very important.

Some tips to keep the minnows healthy and strong.

Use tap water conditioner (this is a must) You cant use to much 10 mll per 20 litres

Try to keep your water temp lower than 60

Aerate. You cant overdo that the more the better.

VERY IMPORTANT...

The Ph level should be within the 7.4 - 8.4 (this is easy to do with regular water changes)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT...

Ammonia (that's the killer)

when the level rises it will kill the minnows.

Its caused from decaying food/fish waste as well as dead decaying fish.

If you don't plan on monitoring the tank every day then you should get a filter and that will help regulate ammonia levels.

Regular water changes along with keeping the tank clean as well as not over feeding will go a long way for keeping them strong.

There are other factors as well but its just bait its not like were trying to breed them or grow champion suckers or shiners.

Don.

Edited by saltydawg

I have two drywall mud buckets (2 1/2 gallons) When I come in, the minnows go in the first one. I fill the second half full with tap water and let it sit. When I need to change the water, I just switch the minnows to the second bucket, dump the first one and refill with tap water and let that sit. Repeat as long as necessary. Sitting allows the chlorine in the water to evaporate without the need for tapwater conditioner.

I do the same with my aquarium water changes. A few days before a water change, I fill a bucket with tap water and let it sit.

Yep letting the water sit will remove the chorine. Another tip is instead of just changing the water, freeze some blocks of ice and add ice instead of water. Keeps them cooler. The colder they are, the less oxygen they require.

Cold is the key. Especially with emeralds. Dace could live anywhere if the water is cold enough.

S.