Gun question for the hunting folk...

Fisherpete

Huge amount of work indeed! Nicely done though Pete, the pictures show the overall condition well. They also show that the guns were stored correctly to begin with, and that can only help enhance their value.

The Hungarian double shotgun was made by FEGARMY ARMS, which was established in 1891. FEG started out building rifles and pistols for the military, and at one point expanded to build large field guns for the Hungarian army.

300px-15_cm_t%C4%9B%C5%BEk%C3%BD_kan%C3%

While 15 cm field guns will definitely bring down ducks, they're just a little large for the average waterfowler :D

Following the second world war, with lucrative military contracts drying up, FEG branched into building sporting arms, including the boxlock shotgun you own. They're widely known as good quality field grade guns, very well built but lacking the delicate scroll engraving and fine-cut checkering you would find on a Browning Citori, for example (checkering on your gun is most likely stamped, rather than cut). Finish details aside, structurally and mechanically, are not much different than the much more expensive Brownings.

Unfortunately, a small domestic market and newer, stricter rules governing export put FEGARMY into bankruptcy in 2004.

So that's the story with your shotgun. Check the chokes and chamber depth. While there is a possibility it may be chambered for three inch shells, it is most likely chambered for two-and-three-quarter inch shells. A late model shotgun chambered for three-inch shells will have a higher value, mainly because it will be more useful for waterfowl hunting with steel shot (particularly if it is full choked). If it's set up as a pheasant gun (modified or improved cylinder chokes) then chamber length won't matter one bit.

Otherwise, everything looks nicely kept. There are a few love bites here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for guns that were actually used and loved. You should have no problem getting the high end of those Blue Book values.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

No, no hunters at all in my family. I do have to thank him though for my love of fishing - spring perching and summer pike on Simcoe... Hooked me for life. He passed in 1985 when I was only 10 so never had the chance to show me hunting.

I will most likely be selling the collection once I figure out exactly what they are worth, and educate myself on the legalities of selling them. I would assume that I couldn't just sell them to anyone? Anyone know all the requirements?

Craig - thanks again, great info. Much appreciated!

Pete

Buyers need a Pal for sure, technically I think you might even need one as the seller. You don't want to go carting them around in your trunk or anything.

I might also be also interested in one of the 22's.

assuming your grandfather was in legal possession, as the inheritor even if you do not have a PAL you have a "reasonable amount of time" to facilitate the sale...there's a few forms to fill out last time I was involved, but with the registry gone I would guess that only applies to restricted (not your guns)...but it is your responsibility to make sure the buyer has the PAL

if you ask the local police they will often insist they hold the guns, they have no right and don't let them, just sell them but ask to see a valid PAL, check the expiry date

4) Hungarian Made 12G Single trigger over/under shotgun with case, sling and recoil pad

DSC_0744_zpsb5d3a292.jpg

DSC_0745_zps2cf44144.jpg

DSC_0746_zpsc1508094.jpg

DSC_0747_zpsbed72b36.jpg

DSC_0748_zps9db33d92.jpg

DSC_0748_zps9db33d92.jpg

DSC_0751_zps178e9976.jpg

DSC_0752_zpsf0643e93.jpg

I owned the same gun now that you have posted.

Great gun IMO.

Nice collection there Pete.

Based on the serial number, can anyone tell me if the Browning A5 is chambered for a 2.75 or 3 inch shells or is that something I would have to measure? A few people are wondering that too about the Hungarian made shotgun. Would I just measure the opening where the shells go in or...?

thanks

Pete

A few people are wondering that too about the Hungarian made shotgun. Would I just measure the opening where the shells go in or...?

Pete,Im surprised theres not a stamped shell size on the barrels of the O/U.

Im thinking it,s 2 3/4.

The one I had was Modified. No screw in chokes.

Chamber depth information is normally stamped right on the barrel near the receiver. It usually looks like this:

ProofTested12Gauge.jpg

If you're unable to locate this marking, then the safest route is to take the gun to a gunshop and have them check with a chamber gauge. This is a cylindrical (or sometimes flat) brass instrument made for this specific purpose. It takes two seconds, and they'll most likely do it for free.

Simply sliding a shell into the chamber is NOT an accurate way to check chamber depth, as a three inch shell will fit very comfortably into a 2-3/4 inch chamber. The chamber has to be deeper than the shell it is intended to fire, in order to accommodate the crimp at the end of the shell. When you fire the gun, the crimp unfolds and has to have someplace to go. So the chamber is always longer than the shell to allow for this.

Of course, actually firing a three inch shell in a gun with a 2-3/4 inch chamber would be catastrophic, since there is no space to accommodate the crimp. With the chamber effectivey blocked, the most common result is the shooter's head being vaporized in the resulting explosion.

If you can't find any marks on the barrel, take them to a gunsmith to be sure. They're both most likely to be 2-3/4 inch, but best to be certain. Don't screw around with a measuring tape or a fired shell ... that is just not reliable.

Cheers

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thanks again guys - I will take a look to see if it is stamped. If not, I will take it to the experts.

On another note, I had the collection appraised today at Gagnon's and there were a few pleasant surprises. The Browning 30-06 turns out to be the crown jewel of the collection, as it is classed as a grade 2 - hard to find with the engravings and a few other details/features. It was appraised at $800-900 without the scope.

The Parker Hale .243 and the Mossberg .22 were also sought after items that had some distinguishing features. The A5 and FEG shotguns were valued pretty much as expected.

Several of the scopes also have some value, including the Leopold (not in pics), and the German made ones on the Browning 30-06 and on the Marlin. We ran out of time today, so I am going to bring them back so we can find out exactly what they are worth, but he strongly suggested selling them on their own as scopes tend to lose value when bundled. That being said, I will most likely keep them paired up just as my grandfather had them, unless someone does not really want them.

Here's the numbers (not including scope values):

1) Parker Hale .243 Win. Cal. Bolt action rifle with sling, swivels, bipod, case - $500-600

2) Browning BAR 30-06 Semi-Automatic with sling, swivels, case - $800-900

3) Parker-Hale (Midland) 30-06 Bolt action with sling, swivels, bipod, case - $400-600

4) FEG Hungarian single trigger OU 12G shotgun with sling, recoil pad, case - $550-650

5) Browning BAR A5 12G Semi-Automatic shotgun with sling, recoil pad, case - $550-650

6) Winchester-Cooey Model 750 .22 - $125

7) Marlin Model 89C Micro Groove .22 - $200

8) Mossberg 42M-B .22 - $250

I appreciate the mods leaving this post here for the ‘discovery’ phase lol… but if need be please feel free to move it to the classifieds section.

I will be considering all reasonable offers. All previous PM’s have been responded to. I would LOVE for somebody to just say they will take the whole collection… and a serious discount would be applied.

Thanks again for all the help with figuring these out – the wealth of knowledge by the members of this site is incredible.

All purchases will require a PAL, and shipping is an option.

Pete

You should take up hunting and pass those on to your kids. That is pretty much the perfect collection of quality firearms, and having been your grandfathers, they are essentially priceless. I just couldnt sell them.

The quotes seem pretty fair to me, but it wouldnt hurt to ask around. Someone looking for those models of firearms will pay more. They are hard to find in the condition you have.

Good luck with the sale/decisions.

S.

There is some sentimental hesitation on selling them, but I like fishing too much to take up another hobby...

The prices above are only a guideline guys - considering all offers. If someone has a St. Croix Legend Tournament 9' Big Nasty muskie rod, a really nice bass rod/reel, a mid to high end sonar unit, Lakewoods muskie box, trade offers are also welcome.