Shallow creek tip?

Locnar

So I went for a hike along a new-to-me local creek. Saw lots of big rainbows, one of them was holding behind a rock right along the shoreline... so i snuck up on it and was able petting a wild trout for a moment. It was pretty cool. But as I hiked around, I couldn't find any real pool or anything... just lots of shallow moving water. Was wondering if there was any technique for fishing such shallow water. Most of it was barely deep enough for the trout... whenever they moved you could see their ripples. Other times their back and dorsal fin were breaking the surface. Come this Saturday I hope the fish are still there.

So I went for a hike along a new-to-me local creek. Saw lots of big rainbows, one of them was holding behind a rock right along the shoreline... so i snuck up on it and was able petting a wild trout for a moment. It was pretty cool. But as I hiked around, I couldn't find any real pool or anything... just lots of shallow moving water. Was wondering if there was any technique for fishing such shallow water. Most of it was barely deep enough for the trout... whenever they moved you could see their ripples. Other times their back and dorsal fin were breaking the surface. Come this Saturday I hope the fish are still there.

Not sure if you're joking or not but......

Those are spawning fish and it's best to leave those fish alone. There isnt an ethical way whatsoever to target these fish, so please leave them be. You would be harming the steelhead population if you took one or more fish off of their redds.

After steelhead spawn they begin to drop back down stream from pool to pool to the lake, these are the places you should try and target steelhead. If you see fish in shallow runs, just walk on by and leave them alone. I will warn you though, that most ethical anglers will not be too impressed if they see anyone targeting spawning fish of their redds so be careful and protect your fishery.

Have fun on opener!

I agree with VXP 100%.

Look around carefully and you will find undercut banks and deep spots around fallen logs and debris. These will hold active fish that have already spawned. These spots are harder to fish but produce almost all the time.

Enjoy the fish that are spawning by watching nature in action. This will be the fish stock in the following years.

muddler

I will warn you though, that most ethical anglers will not be too impressed if they see anyone targeting spawning fish of their redds so be careful and protect your fishery.

Have fun on opener!

I will add a caveat to your warning. A lot of "ethical" anglers will jump to their own conclusions and, rather than teach, will jump down a guys throat for doing something that he may not know is wrong.

Give people the benefit of the doubt before you get too crazy.

Off topic, bring some garbage bags. Nothing gives anglers a worse badge than the mess left behind on trout opener.

I decided to opt out of that location and drove north. On the Ganny up by Kendal, I lost a couple nice bows... I'm still a rookie at fly fishing. I think I put the brakes on a little too hard and they broke me off. Then I left and hit up a smaller creek, lost a brookie... and caught a couple.

WjV89I9.jpg

Xe0vVjS.jpg