Asian carp/Silver carp?

dhickey

I just watched a show on WFN and it was all about how to make money$$$ off of the carp invasion?

My line of thought was to use these fish to feed people that need food?

Like the pig hunt in the southern States.(It goes to the food bank)

The USA government does not want to subsidize fishermen or processing plants in order to fund commercial harvest of an invasive fish that is good to eat??

Send it to the food bank.!!

The USA is currently spending 22 mill every year on electric fences across inlets (rivers) into the Great lakes.

What do you think?

I just watched a show on WFN and it was all about how to make money$$$ off of the carp invasion?

My line of thought was to use these fish to feed people that need food?

Like the pig hunt in the southern States.(It goes to the food bank)

The USA government does not want to subsidize fishermen or processing plants in order to fund commercial harvest of an invasive fish that is good to eat??

Send it to the food bank.!!

The USA is currently spending 22 mill every year on electric fences across inlets (rivers) into the Great lakes.

What do you think?

Round up the person(s) responsible for this mess and.......maybe, oh,,,,,,I don't know......like dunk them in water and give them a nudge into one of these fences?

The food idea is a great thought but didn't they try or want to try that with the Geese but some group for the ethical treatment of something or other point their fingers while stomp their feet and send that idea to the dumpster?

9 out of 10 people said they would rather eat dogfood than "carp" so first off we change the name to Asian Steaks.

No really the issue is not just at the boarder it is all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico so setting up a plant is not feasible. The demand for the fish is very low brings a price that is at best break even because to catch them using nets is the most expensive way to harvest fish in a river basin. Your nets are catching not only the fish but get quickly torn from the bottom and debris the current bring about. It would be as foolish as harvesting Gobies as a food source for the needy in Canada. Just because someone needs help with getting food doesn't mean they want to eat the "trash fish" of seafood.

Now the hunting for the homeless programs where you can donate any game animals all season to local butcher shops is a winner for sure. The butcher will take the animal record the tag and check it in legally and then process it for a set fee usually $50-70 for a deer which pays for the supplies and time plus a meager profit of 10-20 dollars. While not a good way to make money since the shop is already cutting regular customers meat at 100 + a deer things go pretty smoothly for most of the good butchers.

Art

9 out of 10 people said they would rather eat dogfood than "carp" so first off we change the name to Asian Steaks.

Hey Art, I recall reading a report where there was an effort to start marketing them as "Kentucky Tuna." Seriously!

Edited by Mike Pike

As most know I am Australian, we had an invasion of European carp in the Murray River system(Largest river system in Australia), They have not solved the issue but have made a huge inroad in the murrumbidgee River (A trib large river) they sold the zones to fertilizer companies, they created fertilizer and have made a huge business and in lieu of Potash for instance this is a supliment, Seems like this should be explored.

The final part the MNR of Australia then created hatcheries with Native bands (Aboriginals) and they now are stocking Murray Cod and other natives. Its a win win and has created great employment for the people - we should look at something similar. This would also make sure native can fish and harvest and we make it sustainable. It has worked and is expanding.

As most know I am Australian, we had an invasion of European carp in the Murray River system(Largest river system in Australia), They have not solved the issue but have made a huge inroad in the murrumbidgee River (A trib large river) they sold the zones to fertilizer companies, they created fertilizer and have made a huge business and in lieu of Potash for instance this is a supliment, Seems like this should be explored.

The final part the MNR of Australia then created hatcheries with Native bands (Aboriginals) and they now are stocking Murray Cod and other natives. Its a win win and has created great employment for the people - we should look at something similar. This would also make sure native can fish and harvest and we make it sustainable. It has worked and is expanding.

That just makes too much sense. Canada would never consider that. Especially Ontario.

S.

There are a lot of grass roots things being done such as carp rodeos where the winner is by the LB's . Those fish are sold to a fertilizer company that hand out prizes and cash for the people who participate. We also have a lot of people who have contests for most fish best costume most creative way to catch the fish. It is the people that do this not the government which I am fine with I have yet to see a project run better in the control of the government than in the hands of the people. Either way they are here to stay such as the other invasive species in our lives such as Small Mouthbass, Snakeheads and yes even the carp we so enjoy to catch down here.

Art

The original idea behind introducing carp to North America was to provide an alternate and cheap food source for a rapidly expanding population back in the mid-1800's. That experiment failed miserably then, just as it would fail miserably now. The fertilizer plant concept has possibilities. How viable would it be after 5 years of aggressive carp harvest. How about commercial harvest for the purpose of shipping to Asia, where they are regular fare.

Good concept but the stopping point is the cost. Labor rates to harvest, process and ship from the US would make them more expensive than the local product. We ship Iron ore from the US to have it processed and returned as a final product cheaper than we can process it ourselves in China.

Art