Very Interesting News....

TJQ

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS MAGAZINE AND CANADIAN NATIONAL SPORTSMEN’S

SHOWS ANNOUNCE NEW STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIP

Canada’s best-read outdoor sportsmen’s magazine and the country’s largest producer of

outdoor consumer shows team-up to create a best-in-class experience for outdoor and

angling enthusiasts—for industry, for consumers and for readers

Toronto, May 23, 2007—Joining more than 100 years of combined experience in the

outdoor sportsmen’s category, Ontario OUT OF DOORS Magazine and the Canadian

National Sportsmen’s Shows will be starting the 2008 show season with a combined, not-tobe-

missed platform for sporting and angling enthusiasts. Ontario OUT OF DOORS is taking

its 15-year Spring Fishing Show tradition under the umbrella of Canada’s largest fishing,

hunting, and outdoor super show.

The passion and expertise of the largest, most influential all-fishing show in Canada—where

Ontario’s anglers flocked annually to shop for the latest equipment, newest boats and best

fishing travel adventures—will now be accessible by one of the largest show audiences in

Canada.

“We at Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows are very excited about forging a strategic

relationship with Ontario OUT OF DOORS,” says Walter Oster, Chairman and CEO,

Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows. “Associating with the industry’s leading publication,

we are confident that working together we will bring greater value to both our consumers

and exhibitors, while celebrating our great outdoors!"

“At Ontario OUT OF DOORS we are always looking to be affiliated with the leaders in the

outdoor community,” says Alison de Groot, Publisher, Ontario OUT OF DOORS. “That's

why we are thrilled to be working with the Canadian National Sportsmen's Shows, the

leading producer of consumer shows in the outdoor category. Together we will deliver the

very best in outdoor information and entertainment to Ontario's angling and hunting

community."

Ontario OUT OF DOORS looks forward to bringing even more expertise to the extremely

popular Sportsmen’s Show platform, giving industry participants a wider reach and

expanded audience to better leverage their products. A staggering 150,000 attendees are

expected at the Toronto and Ottawa Sportsmen’s shows.

The magazine will become the exclusive Canadian outdoor publication of the Toronto

Sportsmen’s Show, the Ottawa Boat, Sportsmen’s and Cottage Show, and the CNSS’ Great

Ontario Salmon Derby. The magazine’s March fishing Annual will be expanded to include

an extensive fishing and hunting gear guide to give consumers a sneek peek at what they can

expect to see at the Toronto Sportsmen’s Show. The February issue of the magazine will

include the official Ottawa Boat , Sportsmen’s and Cottage Show Fishing & Hunting show

program. Delivering even more information to its audience of passionate anglers, these

issues will become further entrenched as a fantastic method for advertisers to reach this

unique and highly engaged audience.

The 2008 Toronto Sportsmen’s Show will take place March 12 to 16 at the Direct Energy

Centre, Exhibition Place and the 2008 Ottawa Boat, Sportsmen’s and Cottage Show will take

place February 21-24 at Lansdowne Park. The Great Ontario Salmon Derby runs July 5 to

August 24, in the Canadian waters of Lake Ontario

About Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Ontario OUT OF DOORS Magazine is Ontario's largest and best-read outdoor sportsmen's

magazine. Part of the Rogers Publishing group, Ontario OUT OF DOORS will be celebrating

its 40th anniversary in 2008. With a circulation of more than 92,000 and a readership of

more than 640,000, our mission is to inspire, enable and inform Ontario's anglers and

hunters by providing the best how-to, where-to, and with-what information available to fuel

our readers' passion for the outdoors. For more information visit ontariooutofdoors.com.

About Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows

Established in 1948, Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows is Canada’s largest producer of

outdoor consumer shows, with offices located in Toronto, Calgary, Montreal and Vancouver.

Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows has a professional and dedicated staff, skilled in

bringing together exhibitors and consumers.

As a non-profit corporation, Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows is committed to

conserving Canada’s outdoors and instilling Canadian youth with an appreciation for nature

and outdoor activity. Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows use the proceeds from these

shows to support and promote outdoor campaigns and programs. Since the first show in

1948, more than $28,000,000 has been committed to these projects and campaigns. Over

the years, grants have been made to organizations such as the Fraser River Sturgeon Society,

the Pacific Salmon Foundation, the Alberta Hunter’s Instruction Association, the Credit River

Anglers Association, the Toronto Sportsmen's Association, Project C.A.N.O.E., the Ontario

Snow Resorts Association, and the Quebec Outfitter’s Federation. For more information go

to www.sportshows.ca

So will the free parking of the Spring Fishing Show carry over with this new merger? :rolleyes:

Walter is a very smart business man, this is all about $$$

Still, at least people can get the best of both worlds, and the worst, at one big venue.

Tony

Guest lundboy

I stopped going to the Sportsman Show because it became so expensive that even vendors stopped going. I remember a couple of years when LeBaron didn't even go. It has gotten smaller and smaller every year. So watered down it's not worth it, more and more junk sellers, less and less sporting goods. Parking $15, entry $15 or $18 dollars/head.

The Spring Fishing Show last year was $8 (if I remember right), this year it was $12! But at least the parking was free.

Not to mention renting vendor space at the show. 2-3 times more than at the Spring Fishing Show venue (I know, because I looked at pricing of both). If they think vendors will switch from the SFS venue to the SS venue I think they are wrong. Some did both if they had the money!

I think it's the beginning of the end for SFS & OOoD.

Well like all things it used to be free parking and lower attendance prices at the spring show...say goodbye to that. Just a sign of the times.....well at least I used to go to the spring show, but doubt I'll be going to the new one unless I hear lots of good things.

Maybe I'm comprehension challenged or maybe sleep deprivation is getting to me. What exactly does the above mean? No more SFS? Or that the Spring Fishing Show is moving downtown? Or merging into 1 big-arse show in March with the Toronto Show? Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.

I believe it means the show will be everything all together Charles. No spring fishing show. Now Im sure there are some that are surprised at that,but go back some threads and see how disappointed some where. If the show was doing thier homework,I would think they would be following the fishing net sites and reading reports about how thier shows are. That being said,Im thinking they figured putting them all together,would draw more crowds and alot more venders.

I know we all got to make a buck,but when they have these shows,they have to have attracking prices for the consumer,both at the entrance and the booths.

AND FREE PARKING. STOP MONEY GRABBING.

Also.my last thing on this,if yer going to call it a SPORTSMANSHOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Get rid of all the other unrelated crap. Breeder dog shows and all that. They have dog shows all the time. Nothing to do with the sport. IMO.

MAKE IT FOR THE SPORTSMANS OUT THERE

How ya been bud?

Edited by misfish

It means this is the end of an era. If you wish to go to a fishing show then it will cost you an arm and a leg from now on. I should say it "Will cost 2 arms and 2 legs!" Maybe this will help the more regional local fishing shows such as the one in Fort Erie? No doubt it will also bring more people to BPS for their own spring fishing sale.

Interesting read indeed, and the writing was on the wall for the Sportsman Show. Everyone is right in their reviews thus far and I did state this in the past that something was going to tumble in the future.

I can give you an insight from a vendors point of view. The Fishing Show is sort of profitable if we carry the right products at the show that are discontinued at reduced rates etc. It was also a place where new products could be unvailed for the consumer. After paying for the booth, and the many expenses that go with it staff, lodging, food, hydro, advertising, moving products with trucks etc. the end result would be awareness for the consumer that there is a business that carries a product that they much crave.

As for the Sportsman Show it was going downhill for years and when they refused to have Bass Pro at the show that was their nail in the coffin. All this was because LeBaron's did not want to see Bass Pro at the Sportsman Show. I believe that Sylvia from LeBaron's on the the Sportsman Show committee or has very power influence and prevented that from happening.

Going into one show would be less of an expense for a vendor as there is only one show to worry about and with that is also one less incoming revenue resources. The result of this Sportsman Show amalgamating with the Fishing Show means that Bass Pro Shop will now see an increase in their revenues. This news is a huge win for Bass Pro Shop. Remember the marketing strategy is excellent they advertise that they do not charge admission and parking is free. Hard to beat and they also have agreements to have the big names in fishing there as well, so why would you want to pay huge money to go to the Sportsman Show and see what credit card companies, oil companies, cell phone companies etc have to do with the great outdoors. You already know what the oil companies do to you on a long weekend or during the summer when you have to gas up your boats.

The cost of the booth at the Sportsman Show is huge and will not attract any more business than it has in the past few years. What the Sportsman Show has done is killed the Spring Fishing Show and for that I am sad to see.

I would now recommend going to Bass Pro Shop for the March Break where I am positive they will further increase their presence in the market place as well increase their advertising.

I can honestly say that I will not be attending the Sportsman Show as a vendor or a consumer. I have learned this year that some of my customers that did attend got the necessay information on the products that they wanted and ordered here or waited until my shipment arrived to purchase it at the same price that was at the shows.

Again this is only my opinion and I hope I have not offended anyone with my remarks.

Best regards,

Sam

ps Walleye are biting good in the Bay and the winner bait is spinner baits with worms

Sam,dont worry about offending anyone.LOL

I believe what I had said has to happen to make these shows exciting like they once were. Lower costs. It,s got to start from the top down. Right from the manufacture to the guy that put,s that final buck in his till.

Im thinking a road trip once or twice a year to Carbelas is alot more enjoyable then heading to the shows here.

Really, and I hate to say this because I do give a lot of business to the local guys, the best deals are found on-line. So regardless of any 'deals' at a Basspro spring fishing sale or Sportsmens show, there are still better deals all year round outside of this country.

With the Can $ so high right now you can save tons of money by ordering from places like Cabelas.

To put it into perspective, here is a real example with current prices and exchange rates:

2 x Shimano 4500 Baitrunner reels at Cabelas works out to be $235.95 U.S./$254.89 Canadian INCLUDING shipping - Reels @ 109.99 ea shipping is $14.95 for both reels.

At a local shop you are paying $179.99 EACH REEL!

Factor in taxes and you are up to $413.98 for 2 Shimano Baitrunner 4500 reels (+ gas and time to drive to the store)

So lets take a look at savings...

$413.98

-$254.89

----------

=$159.09 Total SAVINGS!!!!

AND, it gets delivered to your doorstep!

Sorry to say, there is no competitive pricing happening here in Canada.

I don't understand it to be honest, it has to be the Canadian dsstributors that are taking their piece of the pie when selling to vendors that is driving the prices up.

:dunno:

We all work hard for our money, it has to be put towards the best deals.

Tony

Well, this is interesting for sure. Personally and strictly from a consumers point of view I think it isn't all bad.That is if they really do go BIG. I won't have to attend both shows and if their seminars etc. are great and I have a good time then IMO it will be worth it. I liked the idea of the earlier show, because by the springtime you really can't wait for anything fishing related to happen. I guess as far as the smaller vendors you'll have to look at the booth as strictly a promotional tool to draw people to your store. Hand out sale flyers/catalogues etc. For lodges/charters etc. it should make their job easier. More volume in the same timeframe should mean filling the openings up quicker and an extra week to get back to business. The first year of the show may not meet attendance expectations, but if it's done right it could be a good thing for the industry. For each business/vendor you now have a bigger stage to try to compete with the big box stores. This is an opportunity that some will take advantage of (and not just the hotdog vendors). Make the best of it guys. Now,would I, if I could remove all of the Walmart type big box stores off the face of the planet and bring back all of the mom and pop type stores ..... absolutely ..... but .... since that's not likely to happen everyone needs to find their niche. Part of that may be locating FAR from a BPS or Cabelas etc. Here's rooting for the little guy and hoping the big show may level the playing ground a little.

basically with how advanced this world has become (internt, big box stores, ect...) & todays ecconomics, many of the shows (I didnt say ALL) can no longer be what they used to be... it is unfortunate though...... I sure would like to go to a show or tow in the states someday, just for comparison's sake