Adding a jackplate to a Lund Pike 16 with 115 Optimax.

tizfun

Had a discussion tonight as to whether adding a jackplate to my buddy's 2001 Lund Pike 16.. He just put on a 2006 115hp Optimax and was thinking of adding a jackplate for better performance. he's currently running a 4 blade SST 21 pitch and want more out of it.

Can this be done ? I've never seen a jackplate on an aluminum boat and will it perform better ? I personally don't think it will but then again, we don't know of many friends that have done this...

Any advice and tips appreciated..

Tiz

Power tilt and trim would be a better option it sets the motor back into clean water and controls the angle of thrust as well as allowing raising the motor in the shallows. Jack plates once set for the load in the boat rarely needs to be moved.

Art

Boat is rated for 100hp.... Very wide boat thinking the beam is 84" (or more) .. It's not you average 16 footer.. He had a Merc 90 4 stroke..(junk) and traded it in for the 115 Optimax. The boat/motor has tilt/trim (thought this was a given now a days) and moves out at 45 mph on GPS..

It just doesn't seem right seeing a jackplate on an aluminum... Do people actually do this, can it be done and still have the boat perform the way it should without getting it crazy... I wouldn't, not an aluminum anyway...

Tiz

If he already has tilt trim then he has the advantage of being set back into clean water. The jack plate is not needed if the motor is set up correctly meaning the depth of the motor at full throttle is correct. If he is thinking to be able to trim it up to the edge of performance then he will be a slave to watching the cooling and cavatation of the motor. Backing plates and stiffeners can easily be added to aluminum boats if he decides to put one on. The gain will be minimum and the headache will start. I removed a jackplate from my 18ft aluminum jetdrive and put a tilt trim on with no loss of performance but gained in the ability to run shallows and clear the intake of the pump.

Art

Yep, jack plates are useless on aluminum boats!!! sarcasm.gif

P6070125_zps61feef5a.jpg

P6060120_zps9445ad7a.jpg

Stay with the 4 blade prop, make sure to have a water pressure gauge on the motor and play around with motor height while running. You will find the sweet spot where the boat is at it's best while still having proper cooling.

They are great for idling through skinny water as well. :D