What's the craziest bait you've ever used to fish with?

Old Ironmaker

Top water bass style for browns on lake O when they shy away from other baits was pretty cool.

I'd love to hear more about this? I've caught browns in very shallow water, with plugs that dive only inches below the surface, but never on a top water?!

Like a popper? Were you sight fishing?

Sounds awesome!

I once caught a bull head on a Jitterbug... that is a strange bait for the species, although I was targeting large mouth.

I used to dive for lures a lot. Once I found what looked like a couple of pieces of an old shoe glued to a fish hook to fashion some sore of home made spoon like bait. Somebody was fishing with a strange bait.

I'd love to hear more about this? I've caught browns in very shallow water, with plugs that dive only inches below the surface, but never on a top water?!

Sounds awesome!

I have caught inland browns on mini buzzbaits in really frothy water..

Sounds awesome!

Yeah, topwaters like spooks, they would probably eat a popper too. When they follow/bump cranks, plastics etc., but stop fully committing we brought a few top waters down one night and they started showing interest. Hooking percentage is way low however... think it took over 15 blowups over a few nights to land one. Browns showed the most interest in bigger topwaters but the smaller baits were easier to hook up on. Not the most effective technique for hooking up but super fun and worked in certain conditions. Should mention it was strictly night fishing. But like Bill says those angry browns eat anything sometimes!

• 2 months later...

Years back on the lower French I ran into Babe Winkelman. He was there in a Ranger bass boat filming a musky show and stopped to chat with us.

While talking this old fiberglass bowrider comes blasting around the point near us towing a highly intoxicated local of Francophone persuasion in an innertube. He had what appeared to be a bottle of rye in each hand. As they zoomed past the guy in the tube yelled out "Hey Babe look at me I'm a lure!! I'm a *#@*ing Wiggle Wart!!"