A recap of my recent travels...

Joeytier

Well the winter wonderland has been particularly unrelenting this year (thank god for block heaters and good rye) but February has been nice and mangeable thus far so I've been out and about a couple times in my neck of the woods getting caught up on what i've been missing.

The winter makes travel especially convenient for me, since I can hop on the snowmachine and be on about a dozen trout/wally/pike lakes within half an hour on mostly groomed trails. Me and the girlfriend spent an afternoon chasing 'bows on a fairly well-travelled lake during summer, but found the trail in was hardly even broken and enjoyed some deep powder cruising on the way in. Wish I had the gopro running. We didn't end up icing any rainbows (when they're 'off' during the winter forget it) but my girlfriend ended up icing a piggy laker much to my surprise as there is no account of them ever being in the lake. Very interesting catch and only makes me want to revisit the lake even more...

C5295863-84D3-4601-BB31-68A05A947E3C_zps

3FF997AF-9AC0-4AB0-8F59-05016BD7D451_zps

Next up, was a fair sized walleye/pike lake just down the road that has always peaked my interest. From what I had previously gathered, this is a quality over quantity lake, and this trip just reinforced. Only iced two fish for the day, one being a very chunky 20-21" eye (in the slot) and a 32" pike (perfect eating fish). The tanin-stained water makes for some beautiful dark fish.

779890E7-CBAC-4F96-8DCB-7DECB3C17502_zps

E66F0AF5-4269-4782-A314-7110CE5B7C3D_zps

49A766D5-2F64-40CE-A903-4A54472E5726_zps

Finally, I spent the weekend in a private cabin at Domaine Temikami in Ville Marie, Qc. No fishing involved, but we had an amazing time with private hot tub and sauna, as well as the incredible dining, all on top of the lac Temiskaming valley with an incredible view. Almost wasn't jealous of all the sleds and ice huts :)

3D05804D-DAD5-4671-BE3E-7C915214AB21_zps

FBC10D2C-056E-403A-BD43-0F8F04F77FFB_zps

March can't get here soon enough!!!

I didn't realize how close to shore you were fishing for pike/walleye. I should have tried that today but instead looked for open water drops/shoals on a lake further north.

Sounds like a great trip in Quebec, I'll ask you about it and maybe I'll take the wife up some day.

Good show Joe! Winter has been a real wonderland this year. With all the snow I've been finding the fishing quite good as the access is made tough for quads, and even some sledders must be staying safe to just the main trails. You're a lucky guy though to have that many good options so close to home.