For Costa - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Review

Rod Caster

Costa asked me to put up a review of my Cherokee Trailhawk after I put some miles on it. I'm now at 11,000kms with a good mix of backroads, city, highway and ice. By no means am I 'easy' on vehicles and feel that running them hard early (after the short break-in) is a good lemon-test.

At this point, its the best vehicle I've ever driven. I don't have a huge scope of comparisons, but I've driven quite a few SUV's, cars and trucks throughout my out-of-town travels with rentals. Also, I like cars/trucks, so I pay close attention to the market. The mix of off-road and on-road capability is second only to a 4Runner and the sticker price is a fair bit lower. This thing just feels solid.

Mileage over a measured 8,000kms is 11.3L/100kms. That includes many hours of idling and at least 30kms of lake driving.

I've had no mechanical failures and the vehicle is extremely sound. Slamming the doors give a good solid thump and rattles are completely non-present. It feels like a luxury SUV on the highway and takes on deep snow and ice like a pro. Even the interior options make it feel like an upmarket vehicle with things like an 8.4" touchscreen, heated seats/steering wheel, lots of storage compartments, a Nav system that has a trail option (break crumb and GPS) and it's all easy to use and ergonomic.

Issues: a slightly flashing odometer screen (dealer will fix next visit), headlights collect crud worse than most vehicles (headlights are the middle lights), tailgate is sluggish to open (the hydraulics are a bit weak), some fogging in headlights in some conditions.

The V6 is strong with 271hp. Passing is easy and exciting. I wouldn't get the I4 as this is a heavy vehicle for it's size.

The 9 speed transmission is super smooth. Lots of people have reported issues with it (some major some minor) but most of the problems are fixed with a transmission flash at the dealership. Mine has been fine. Only the 2-3 upshift is noticeable. Otherwise it's unintrusive and feels right. I thought it would feel 'shifty' but it's not really noticeable. 9th gear is a ghost. I've never seen it, nor do I expect to see it unless I drive down hill on a 110km highway.

The leather seats are very comfy.

Interior materials are fantastic for this price class. From what I can see, no other vehicle compares in interior finish.

I did not get the tow package...I hope to get a old truck for that type of work.

I would not have bought an SUV if this thing wasn't available. I was convinced on another truck, but I didn't feel like spending 60,000 for the options I want in a vehicle. I'm really happy with this purchase, although I'm still a bit nervous about owning a Chrysler; especially one with this much 'new' technology. Time will tell I guess.

Here's a video of driving on Nipissing.

Thanks for the report.

I am looking to buy a SUV in the near future for lifestyle purposes and would also like for it to be able to tow a small to mid weighted boat (yet to be purchased). Would you recommend this vehicle for that function, I won't be off-roading much. Do you have any idea what the towing capacity is

Ryan

Thanks for the report.

I am looking to buy a SUV in the near future for lifestyle purposes and would also like for it to be able to tow a small to mid weighted boat (yet to be purchased). Would you recommend this vehicle for that function, I won't be off-roading much. Do you have any idea what the towing capacity is

Ryan

I think you want to go with V6, don't you? 4 cyl won't be enough - i am towing with v6 tucson with 190 hp engine and it's ok, but would like a little bit more power. My boat package is aroung 1100 lb and v6 tucson is rated for 2000 lb. If you want to have new vechile for long time go with v6 only.

Chad your is V6 270 hp engine, isn't? Towing capasity is 3500 lb?

Thanks for the report.

Ryan

With the factory tow package and V6, on any model, you get 4,500lbs of towing. Pretty good for it's class. That'll pull a modest boat with eaaaase. Maybe look into a V6 Truck with 4 doors as well? That's what I would get if I needed to tow/move stuff/work. I like/need the Jeep for the off/on road mix. My Mazda Truck was great for work and offroad, but travelling sucked.

Chad your is V6 270 hp engine, isn't? Towing capasity is 3500 lb?

Correct hp. I didn't get the tow package (not too happy with myself tbh), so if I install a hitch/receiver aftermarket, I have 2,500lbs capacity. The tow package is basically just a lower gear ratio. Other than that, the trans and parts are the same.

Great report. Love Jeep, my 1995 Grand went 377,000 and sold and still running. Not happy with the Compass, too small :(

What is the price tag on one of these?

Mine was around 38,500 including tax. The non-Trailhawks are quite a bit cheaper (except the luxury version).

Not if you can get a diesel :)

No Cherokee diesel anticipated in N.A. anytime soon!

Picked up a brochure today.

Specifications on page 22:

Towing capacity without trailer tow package: 2000 lb - only with packages it is 4500 lb

I'm not shure if those numbers are for trailer with brakes or trailer without brakes???

Since I used to tow a sailboat with 3000 lb with a trailer with brakes, I think trailer brakes are a must for such a suv.

Btw, trailer package contains: lower gear ratio, heavy-duty engine cooling, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, 180 amp alternator, hitch receiver and wiring harness, full size spare tire...

Good point with the brakes. If I were towing near it's capacity, I'd want the trailer brakes too.

As for the package vs. the non-tow package, the TH already has the heavy-duty engine cooling, trans cooling and full-sized spare. Really the only difference is the lower gear ratio and the actual towing parts.

There are a few other angles captured of that vehicle and it has the euro-spec marker-light colors (i believe orange). Someone on Jeepcherokeeclub.com noticed that. With the price of diesel and the assumption that towing lbs wouldn't go up much (given general vehicle restrictions), I don't see a huge advantage in having a diesel...unless I'm missing other attributes.

Fuel mileage, reliability, resale. Lots of advantages of a diesel over a gasser... But I think the package they've put together with that ZF tranny is pretty killer as it sits. Price point is attractive to.

Edited by BillM