Strange ice fishing

Locnar

The leaps of logic are truly astounding.

So you think it all just happened by chance? That they pulled up to a square piece of thick ice surrounded by barely any ice and had a double header of nice rainbows on, which they already were fighting when the camera started filming?

Staged or not it just goes to show if you can fish under ice near open water for trout it can be great fishing!!!

Three years ago I got the idea to head up to my favourite Huron trib and fish under the ice at the end of the pier. The only drawback was I didn't get the idea until about 8:30 AM. When I got there after 9 AM there was a line up on the end of the pier waiting to fish off the end. So I fished in the river which was open. After seeing about 40 trout hooked and about 15 landed off the end. I decided to wait until it was my turn. Nothing was happening in the river no matter what I tried.... Finally about 3:45 it was my turn to toss it off the end to just under the shore ice. By 4:15 I had hooked 5 bows, with 3 clean knock offs as the got the line to hit the edge of the ice and 2 landed fish...

The next day I had off I got there earlier and lather rinse repeat same basic results...

I am almost convinced trout like to hide under ice and strike baits that are close by. I hope to have the same conditions this spring to test the theory though LOL.

Staged?

Not all all. On Lake Michigan there are a number of harbours with commercial piers and in particular Wisconsin. Public access to the best piers are not allowed. The winter harbour fishing down there is awesome and very similar to our niagara river fishery but without the current. Typically anchor and dunk big roe bags along the break wall and piers produces big winter steelhead and browns. As a twist some of the guys have you tube videos where they cut large chunks of ice and tow them out to the break wall or piers. Cut some holes and ice fish for something different to tape. Saw several shows like this with in fisherman staff over the years.

You can see the boat middle of the video. There is one video on you tube where the host starts swearing about having to tape all over as they should be wearing life jackets on the ice. Not new to those that follow or fish steelhead a lot.

100% staged. The caught those fish elsewhere, brought them to that location in their livewells, hooked them again and slid them back down the hole. Henry Wazchuk anyone?

lol no. You don't think people catch steelhead/salmon through the ice?

Lots of places in Haliburton you can be 50-100 ft away from open water and test be on 20inches of ice lake trout fishing !!!! One guy parks his hut within casting distance of open water and he has been doing it for years !!!!! In the same spot !!!! Ottawa river as well places you can almost stand on the edge of thick ice and cast into open water And as for harbor fishing I have ice fished in Whitby harbor as well as Oshawa harbor in years past and done well and yes you can feel the ice moving with the rolling motion from the swells Comming in off the lake and yet be on 5-8 inches of good ice !!!!!