2013 muskie video by Sébastien Langlois

Roy

These Quebec guys put out a yearly muskie video. This is an original alternative format. Those of you who are getting your muskie stuff together for the upcoming season, this video should get the old blood circulating. :) Enjoy!

Thanks for that Roy, great video and even better fish and made for a nice break from moving snow.

Hafta admit though, I could only handle the music for about 12 seconds before the mute button came into play :lol:

interesting trolling they were doing with half the rod in the water lol

The rod in the water catches any floating weeds and stops them from going down the line and fouling the baits.

Also gets the short line lures a little bit deeper.

I almost never have my rod out of the water (as it were :) ) while muskie fishing. When trolling, the rod is always a down rod (in the water) cause I don't see the use of injuring or possibly killing a muskie by fighting it an extra 100 or more feet in the water. Casting of course is the exception but even then, the last several feet approaching the boat, the rod is always in the water for the customary figure 8, L or what have you.

Good video I did not mind the toons but I'm not as OLD as some around here :whistling:

I cant wait to get back on the soft water for slime come on June 7th

The Down rod can be deadly with just a inch or two of line out from the tip of your rod and its a rush when the bait is 1' under the water and they slam it, some times before the drag goes off they are air born that gets the blood running

Good video I did not mind the toons but I'm not as OLD as some around here :whistling:

I cant wait to get back on the soft water for slime come on June 7th

The Down rod can be deadly with just a inch or two of line out from the tip of your rod and its a rush when the bait is 1' under the water and they slam it, some times before the drag goes off they are air born that gets the blood running

Hey Mike, you're not serious about "an inch or 2" are you?

How far back do you run your lures?

I will run a down rod with 1-2" out then my leader but also as far back as 100' it all depends what the fish want and how many rods are out.

If I'm running 6 rods I will have 4 out on the boards two on each side. Then I will have two down rods one 15-25' the other usually starts at 5' then goes shorter or longer from there.

What usually happens with a down rod is they get the fish that are looking for baitfish that have been hit by the boat/prop or just stunned by the boat passing over. These musky are usually hungry and very active that is why a very short line will get eaten.

The other part is 15-25' your looking for the fish that are not as aggressive but still looking for a easy meal that was shocked by the boat passing over they will hang out in the back if the prop wash.

It's a rush to have them fish eat.

I will run a down rod with 1-2" out then my leader but also as far back as 100' it all depends what the fish want and how many rods are out.

If I'm running 6 rods I will have 4 out on the boards two on each side. Then I will have two down rods one 15-25' the other usually starts at 5' then goes shorter or longer from there.

What usually happens with a down rod is they get the fish that are looking for baitfish that have been hit by the boat/prop or just stunned by the boat passing over. These musky are usually hungry and very active that is why a very short line will get eaten.

The other part is 15-25' your looking for the fish that are not as aggressive but still looking for a easy meal that was shocked by the boat passing over they will hang out in the back if the prop wash.

It's a rush to have them fish eat.

Thanks for that.

Ya, I think the muskies have learned that the boat spooks baitfish and makes them easier to find

But didn't think they'd take a lure that short.....good to know

You will be surprised what they will do. My first 50" hit a TEP bucktail right beside my kicker motor in 7' of water. The bait was no more the 2' beside the prop and a few inches under the water. These are awesome fish to target as they will keep you guessing. Your a hero one day and a zero the next.