Looking for PAR 20 Halogen bulbs (bulk pack)

John

Have a lot of pot lights inside and out that take PAR 20 bulbs. Used to be able to buy 10 packs at Costco or Rona but was told they had been discontinued (bulk packs). I probably have to replace one a month (most fixtures have been in place 2-3 years). I can buy singles at grossly over inflated prices. Does anyone know of a reasonable source or do I have to convert them?

Unless your a vendor/contractor,there prices are terrible.The mark up is unbelievable.Even with my jobber discount,it is far cheaper to buy what I need at Home Depot.You will pay a premium,but it looks like your stuck.Good luck in your search!

Edited by davey buoy

Another vote for Torbram electric - I used to run a restaurant that had many different kinds of lighting and they had all the different bulbs. You can even buy by the case if I remember correctly. I used the Scarborough location, not sure if they have others. Their prices were very good.

My brother is a contractor and had an account there - I used his account - probably why the prices were good for me.

Edited by Fisherpete

Hey John. I just checked this morning. Those bulbs are what I use in a 6 bulb light over the kitchen table so I have a few left 'til It I swap it out for a led lamp. I happened to be in Costco this morning and saw a skid of them, sold in bulk packs of 10 for 11.99 + tax. If you want me to pick you up a few bulk packs, let me know and I'll be more than happy to send them to you. Let me know soon though in case there's a run on them.

Hey John. I just checked this morning. Those bulbs are what I use in a 6 bulb light over the kitchen table so I have a few left 'til It I swap it out for a led lamp. I happened to be in Costco this morning and saw a skid of them, sold in bulk packs of 10 for 11.99 + tax. If you want me to pick you up a few bulk packs, let me know and I'll be more than happy to send them to you. Let me know soon though in case there's a run on them.

Those are the ones Roy..the company that supplied them to Costco was sold to a Chinese conglomerate. They are anywhere from $4.99 to $6.99 a piece in single packs. That would be most helpful as I have at least 40 fixtures in and out that use these bulbs. They usually last about 12 months. Let me know the details by PM and I will get you the funds any way that works for you. 3 boxes would be ideal.

Why don't you go with PAR 20 LED, they rarely burn out. For the money you're blowing on the halogen ones that don't last, it may come out a lot cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Non-Dimmable-PAR20-E27-3-3W-9W-LED-Spotlight-lamp-WARM-White-bulb-/111249176545

Thanks Fisherman but I have been paying less than $2.00 a bulb for the PAR 20 Halogen and they last 12 months on average. LED ones are 10-20 times that cost depending on where you buy them and I am not crazy on the light beam that they cast.

Thanks Fisherman but I have been paying less than $2.00 a bulb for the PAR 20 Halogen and they last 12 months on average. LED ones are 10-20 times that cost depending on where you buy them and I am not crazy on the light beam that they cast.

if you have lots in your house you should consider the hydro bill too ;) as everybody knows LEDs r way lower wattage

if you have lots in your house you should consider the hydro bill too ;) as everybody knows LEDs r way lower wattage

Since we had the reno's done and the pot lights installed our hydro bill is essentially the same as it was. If I was to replace all of the halogen with LED I would have a bill of approx. $2,000 + HST.....I figure if I saved 10% off my total hydro bill (doubtful) I would save about $180 a year....

If you're interested im a lighting supplier i have access to cmmercial grade leds. I can get par 20's in 25degree or 40 degree in either warm white ot cool white for $19 a lamp (rated for 30,000hrs). 5watt 350 lumens... last lamps you'll probably ever need keep in mind led lifespan is not when they fail but when the lumens depreciate to 70% of its original lumens.. For a fellow ofner $19 no tax....

If you're interested im a lighting supplier i have access to cmmercial grade leds. I can get par 20's in 25degree or 40 degree in either warm white ot cool white for $19 a lamp (rated for 30,000hrs). 5watt 350 lumens... last lamps you'll probably ever need keep in mind led lifespan is not when they fail but when the lumens depreciate to 70% of its original lumens.. For a fellow ofner $19 no tax....

Thank you I will keep it in mind

Bassassin has it right; buy commercial grade bulbs and you won't be changing them anywhere near as often. When I used to use incandescent trouble lights here at the garage; I couldn't use a standard household bulb in them. One slightest tap on the side of the trouble light's cage and out went the bulb. With the commercial bulb, you could damn near drop kick the trouble light across the shop and it would still be lit.

Dan.

Bassassin has it right; buy commercial grade bulbs and you won't be changing them anywhere near as often. When I used to use incandescent trouble lights here at the garage; I couldn't use a standard household bulb in them. One slightest tap on the side of the trouble light's cage and out went the bulb. With the commercial bulb, you could damn near drop kick the trouble light across the shop and it would still be lit.

Dan.

I understand Dan and I appreciate all of the help, sincerely, but, at $1.47 each taxes in vs $19.00 taxes in wholesale, (more than 12 x) x close to 50 fixtures...........the math still doesn't make sense. I get roughly 12 months out of each bulb in each potlight, some I haven't changed in close to 3 years when they were installed.

I understand Dan and I appreciate all of the help, sincerely, but, at $1.47 each taxes in vs $19.00 taxes in wholesale, (more than 12 x) x close to 50 fixtures...........the math still doesn't make sense. I get roughly 12 months out of each bulb in each potlight, some I haven't changed in close to 3 years when they were installed.

Halogen (6-8000hrs till failure)-(LED 30,000hrs till it reaches 70% original light output) 5 watts vs 50 watts, once you consider the cost of electricity going up 20-30% over the next 2-3 years LED's really start to make sense. Not to mention comercial grade leds only use the best components ie. Cree and Samsung chips. I can see where you are coming from with the price point you mentioned for the halogens! dont forget the cooling load you save in summer also, that many halogens give off a ton of heat!

Halogen (6-8000hrs till failure)-(LED 30,000hrs till it reaches 70% original light output) 5 watts vs 50 watts, once you consider the cost of electricity going up 20-30% over the next 2-3 years LED's really start to make sense. Not to mention comercial grade leds only use the best components ie. Cree and Samsung chips. I can see where you are coming from with the price point you mentioned for the halogens! dont forget the cooling load you save in summer also, that many halogens give off a ton of heat!

Yep the only issue I really have with them is the heat generated. Having said that they are on much less in the summer than the winter. I am considering converting the outside pot's to warm LED as they are on every night for 6 or 7 hours in the winter and 3 or 4 in the summer.

alot of people like the crisp white/blueish tinge of the col white for soffit applications but to each his own! I just put 35 par 20 leds in my brother in laws soffits and he wanted warm white and to tell the truth i thought it looks better than thecool white!

Yep it's like the blue cool white outside LED Christmas lights I think they look cold and unwelcoming. Much prefer warm white.