Road Trip day 5

Big Cliff

Left Myrtle Beach this morning at about 5am the temperature was -2C when we left and they looked like they were ready to kill Canadians LOL. (Just kidding, the staff at the motel were fantastic, even offered to open up the breakfast room early so we could have something to eat before we left).

It is a really nice drive over to Clearwater, It was still dark when we left but we saw 2 beautiful deer on the side of the highway as we were leaving Myrtle Beach. The roads were good, and once the sun came up the scenery was fantastic, the moss hanging from the trees and the sun shining off it (wish Joey had been here, she'd have taken some pictures that would have made calanders or magazine covers. I was driving and Sue isn't much for taking pictures.

It's a long drive, GPS and trip planner both said about 10 hours, traffic on US 19 South had a different idea, it took us almost two hours to do the last 50 km and even then the GPS took us to the wrong spot. Turns out there are a few variations of US 19. Once I punched in the zip code it got us sorted out though and we arrived at our motel safely but very tired.

It was +10 C when we got here (really cold for this time of the year) but it will be warming up in the next few days. I can't believe the deals you can get on rooms down here. Our motel has a heated pool, free wifi, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and free breakfast all for under $50.00 a night. It isn't fancy but it is clean, quiet, and comfortable.

Tomorrow, Sue and I are going to look into renting a condo down here for next season, there are a few factors that we have to check into; health insurance for two old folks probably being the most important one but I am thinking we might be able to buy private health insurance from a US based company, we'll check into it (anyone have any experience with it).

Anyway, still no pictures for you guys, I have been on the go for about 17 hours now so it is bed time for this old man. Thinking of all of you and wish you could all be here with us!

Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

BC

Edited by Big Cliff

glad it's getting warmer Cliff. It's deadly cold here. Have a great time in Clearwater.

Ok yesterday was day 4 and today is day 4, what did we miss?

We'll keep the photography comment about Sue to ourselves :)

Keep safe.

LOL, said I was tired! OK, it is corrected so things are back on track :whistling:

Edited by Big Cliff

Tomorrow, Sue and I are going to look into renting a condo down here for next season, there are a few factors that we have to check into; health insurance for two old folks probably being the most important one but I am thinking we might be able to buy private health insurance from a US based company, we'll check into it (anyone have any experience with it).

Anyway, still no pictures for you guys, I have been on the go for about 17 hours now so it is bed time for this old man. Thinking of all of you and wish you could all be here with us!

Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

BC

Funny you mentioned this...I was doing some fantasy shopping for condos near Clearwater and there were two or three in the Honeymoon Island area for $109,000 to $129,000 but no mention of what the condo fees were...

I just googled Florida real estate and checked the mls listings for the Clearwater area (expensive) but I looked further north above Dunedin...(reasonable)

Do you think I am getting sick of winter ?

I forgot to mention (it's me age ...don't ya know...as Jack used to say) if you have the time, have lunch at Louis Pappas Restaurant in Tarpon Springs...Split a Greek salad with Sue (too much for one person if you also have an entree...They're famous for their Greek Salad and fish dishes...The boats unload right at the pier behind the restaurant...After lunch take a walk down the road beside the canal/river and take in the old sponge museums...very interesting... :clapping:

Edited by Beans

Cliff

I get my travel insurance through Medipac.

After a lot of research they were the cheapest.

I paid under $100 for coverage for my upcoming 6 week trip to Florida.

Mind you I'm under 55 and was able to use the top up option as I have PSCAC health coverage through work.

Check them out.

http://www.medipac.com/