Help please, Simcoe or Erie

FLEX ROD

Hi Folks,

I have a great friend that wants to go ice fishing so Perch is the logical choice.

Now, my dilemma is, do we go to Simcoe or Erie?

I have never fished on Erie but it is a much longer drive for us as he is in Bolton and I am in Woodbridge, but the drive does not bother me if I can put him on some fish.

Size is "almost" secondary, to action as I do not want to turn him off of fishing.

What would be your suggestion for location, as in lake not looking for GPS coordinates, and which outfitter?

We do not need tackle all that I need is a good outfitter to get us to the spot, hut and some bait, and even the bait is optional as I can always bring some.

Almost forgot, looking at going out on Saturday January 25th.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FLEX

I can't speak for an outfitter, as I haven't used one for many years. Years ago, I used to go out for lakers with Floyd Hales out of Beaverton. They where an excellent outfitt, but I don't know if they run huts on the perch grounds. As for location, to me its a no brainer for where you live, I would hit Simcoe every time.

For numbers and size, I would agree with Cooch... however if you are wanting a meal, Cooch would not be my choice. Sure they tend to be bigger on Cooch, but they are also wormy as all get go in Cooch.

If it's just action and no regard to size, Cook's Bay would be my choice.

HH

When I bring friends out who have never been ice fishing before I take em to Terry Goy in Cooks bay.

One of my closest buddies has a girlfriend who never had any interest in fishing, never wanted to go never wanted to hear about it. I have no idea how he convinced her but we were able to get her to come out once.

I set her up with my St. Croix Legend rod (the one with the spring bobber on the tip) and my Flasher and set her up in one of Mr. Goy's huts, I also mentioned the last time we went out, the record number of perch in a day was 50 set by my ex-girlfriend.

Within minutes she was pulling up perch (only 4-6 inches) by the bucketful and having a blast. She brought her laptop and sketchpad and never used them once.

A few days after the excursion she asked if we could go back there next week....... never expected to hear that before.

In summary, Cooks, Terry Goy, small bait and minnows and your friend will be hooked for life on ice fishing.

If you want good eating Perch, Erie at St. Williams or Old Cut would be my choice, but Simcoe is a little closer to you.

Lots of wormy Perch in Cooch and Cooks, lots of dicks and a very few keeps.

I went today Dave... fishing was a bit slow but the guys that fished yesterday said the fish showed up in the afternoon. Another local said the fish maybe having trouble entering the bay due to an ice wall near the channel over by turkey point??... I went out of old cut. There is clear water near Jimmy's huts but further out towards st willys it gets murky...st Williams is said to be clear water