The "ups" and "downs" of the 2013 Brook Trout season

Guidofisherman

This morning, it was -42c, with the windchill and time to reminisce about the 2013 fishing season. There were ups and downs but, “a bad day of fishing is still better than...”, well you know the rest.

On the “up” side, I finally got to go to Europe in the spring with my bride of 40 years. We toured Italy and took a Mediterranean cruise. It was our first time for both but during the planning stages, I said, “not during fishing season”. Well... we had a “once in a lifetime” trip but, on the “down” side, I missed the entire steelhead season.

However, we were back in time for the start of the Brook Trout season and that obviously is an “up”. The first few weeks were promising till the rain and flooding caused the rivers to become almost unfishable. It was a downer, but still managed to tag a good number of brook trout for the MNR study. I’ll post the results later.
 Summer had several “ups”. My youngest daughter eloped and got married in the Greek island of Santorini. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to go, but on the plus side of it, she married an avid fisherman. She gave a half-hearted smile when I presented her with an early Christmas tree ornament that said, “We interrupt this marriage to bring you fishing season”.

The ups and downs continued into the fall fishing. I got to share the lake with Drew (Moosebunk) for a few days and that is always a plus. Also, I purchased a newer trailer to make the fishing trips more comfortable but on the down side, I didn’t get to use it much as I got sick with a severe inner ear infection and nerve damage that resulted in a dozen trips to emergency, numerous antibiotics, including IVs and only a few days of fall fishing for brookies. I even lost my hearing for a month. There is a difference of opinion between my wife and I if that is considered an “up” or a “down”.
 Overall, if the “pluses” outweigh the “minuses”, you had a good year. Here are a few photos and a short video trailer to highlight the 2013 season. Enjoy.

08ddbf57-c897-4973-8e27-e4ceeafbf3e4_zps

4110b476-fd3a-43b5-be3c-40fe686e7157_zps

There are a good few who appreciate that brook trout fishery, but likely only a small few who appreciate it to your level Alan.

Here's to hoping your 2014 season is a healthier one. Not sure I'll be seeing you out there this year, but one day we'll hopefully share a boat.

Great pics... and quite enjoyed the video. Happy New Year.

Wayne......... :P

Great recap man... You could describe ours the same way 'Up' all the big fish we caught 'Down' the fact that my oldman caught 95% of them, lol!

Sounds a lot like my year Bill. I caught a few decent fish but my partners kicked my butt in that department. I gotta get out with Moosebunk and Wayne again one of these years. It's easy to catch all the big ones with those two in the boat with you.... hiding_zps29d8b3d1.gif

All this brook trout talk has got me itching to go, the 16 hour drive WILL be happening this summer. Was talking to the Uncle-in-law via skype (he lives in the Netherlands) today about our trip this summer and just firming up dates, looking like we will be leaving on Aug 02 and making the drive to the north end of Nipigon for the dog days of summer trout tour.... 2 years ago we went cod fishing in Iceland, his favorite type of fishing, and now it's my turn to host a trip. Figure on a day or 2 of Brook trout, a day of lakers maybe a day of pike. Hope the weather works out for us enough to spend all our days up there on the big lake.

Might be picking the brains of some of you guys who know whats going on up that way, on here between now and then. LOL

jjcanoe