Sister got an odd phone call

Entropy

Turns out my sister, who lives near Millbrook, got a recorded phone call with the message saying to stay home, stay off the roads, if you call 911 the wait time for EMS will be significant, and also not to got to Port Hope as it is a disaster area. (I'm not sure if disaster area was the exact wording or not).

Anyone know who makes these calls?

Anyone else get a call like this?

Entropy

How's this for weird? I'm at work a couple days ago and my direct office line rings. Bear in mind this number is unlisted.

Person asks for Mike, and I say your speaking to him, how can I help?

He pauses then says he's very sorry, but that your mother just passed away.

I panic and say I think you've got the wrong person! Exactly who is it you are trying to reach?

He says "Mike Porter", and spells out the last name to me.

I say that's close but not me. How did you get this number?

At that point he apologizes and hangs up.

Call display showed only that it was a private number.

None of it made any sense and until I actually confirmed my mother was actually alive I was freaking out..

Someone's idea of a sick prank?

I wouldn't worry I assume it was a legit call...As of Sunday morn Port Hope was in ruff shape. The only place with power was the service centre on 28 north of 401. Once our power was restored we received multiple updates via recorded phone calls to keep us updated on status of our area.

Franky has a few hundred hits on youtube.com. I understand they don't pay out until after several million hits? Pass on Franky's video to as many as you can for this great kid with autism so he can make some money.

He has been on a couple of radio shows that I know of, I assume he was paid for his time.

206 -> Do you know who was making the calls? Local government? OPP?

Entropy

I'm in Port Hope so the municipality of Port Hope sends out the ones i get, Almost daily updates on the hydro situations in Ward 1 and 2

Nice touch if you have power to use your phone lol or are like my step dad and still have a rotary phone

A good time to remind people.. that everyone should have an old plug in phone around for when the power goes out. I've only ever had one cordless phone in the past 25 years that worked when the power was out. We have two cheap dollar store hard wire phones in the house for when the power goes out. Unplug the cordless and plug in the cheap phone so people can call you and more importantly you can call out in an emergency. With power outages you can't depend on your cordless... your cell phone or Rogers.. but generally the Bell lines keep working.

Edited by irishfield