Boat Shipping Advice Needed

Tim Mills

I'm considering purchasing a boat in the upper mid-west and having it shipped from its current location to Port Huron Michigan. It would cost $500.00 to ship it.

I would drive to Port Huron Michigan and meet the shipper, bring it across the border.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any advice for a situation like this?

I'm considering purchasing a boat in the upper mid-west and having it shipped from its current location to Port Huron Michigan. It would cost $500.00 to ship it.

I would drive to Port Huron Michigan and meet the shipper, bring it across the border.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any advice for a situation like this?

I have done the very same thing, with the links that spincast has given you, it is a very easy process. I would suggest that you do the final transfer of funds on that side of the border after you have inspected it. I could not cross the border at the time so my wife received the boat and handed over the cash. I ended up with a boat that required a lot more work than I anticipated. So I would suggest that you give a small a deposit as possible so the sting will be less if you have to walk away.

Bringing it across is a snap. Make sure you have receipts and the title... 10 min process once you get to the border. After that you you need to get trailer safetied here and pay the tax at the MTO when you go to get it plated.

If you're smart, you'll get 3 separate receipts.. Boat, motor, trailer. It's the trailer you pay tax on , so price accordingly :)

Bought our Lund from Michigan, painless process once you know what is required.

Edited by BillM

I would buy the boat closer to the home province after going and checking it out.

I know there aappear to good deals in the Mid-west, but a personal review of a purchase is best.

There's an other caviet - Purchase a used boat in Penn. and there's NO tax.

Just my .05

David aka Superdad

PS Purchased my boat in Ohio at an auction - Great deal, pay 13% on boat at the border and 7% on Trailer registration.

I really wouldn't worry about getting scammed, most people out there are honest. Do a little homework, talk to him on the phone, no worries. Not everyone is out there to rip you off.

Sorry Bill I couldn't disagree more. I wish everything is like you say. The brutal truth it's not. Ask HTHM. I've heard his story first hand, not good. He was sold a bill if goods. I used to buy hi end cars in south Florida in the hey day when exotics were cheap in the late 80's there (drug dealers?). We never had a problem because I never bought without seeing them first hand and my partner was a mechanic, also clearing title in Florida was important. I don't know about now and how marine vessels may vary but in some border states taxes were higher than others. NY being the highest.

Like Superdad said you may have to pay sales taxes to the state purchases as well as the border state. That can get pricey. Something else that can be a pain is getting the Transport Canadian i.d. plate describing weight, capacity etc. A boat from the states won't have one.

Inspect the boat first, the shipper doesn't care what you get they just want your $500.00. If it's not as advertised your screwed. How can you be assured a clear title from the state you purchase it from. That state probably has a sales tax there if not paid it's not getting across to Sarnia most likely. It's easy once you know how to do it, it's the learning how that can cost you.

I would never, ever buy any vehicle without seeing it and inspecting it thoroughly.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I've imported a boat, the process is simple.... Why would you pax tax to the state or border state on a private sale? Also, why do you think a boat needs a Transport Canada ID plate on it? Boats from the US have the exact same manufacturer plates for weight/capacity we do up here (You realize most boats are manufacturered in the states right?) The only thing you need is a safety for the trailer in order to get it plated in Ontario, that's it.

Also, concerning the title, what exactly are you referring to? If you've got the title, it's your boat. If there was a lien on the boat, the title would be with the bank and not the owner.

Can't imagine going through life thinking everyone is out there to rip you off, lol.

I would never buy sight unseen. Ever.

I drove to Iowa and Michigan to buy used boats. I saved so much money it was worth the drive.

You only pay 13% at the border plus 200 trailer fees as bill mentioned.

Both times there were problems to be sorted out due to incompetent or inaccurate sellers. One was a leun issue that I sorted out in Michigan with the owner last minute, even though he told me it was all good. The other guy said it was mint, which it was not - but I chopped a lot off the price due to that. Glad I went before i paid.

Bill, I misspoke no additional taxes at the border state I was thinking brokerage fees as we occasionally brought a auto trailer across with 4 vehicles or more worth several thousands of dollars.

As far as trusting someone over the phone.? A seller says the vehicle has clear title. The vehicle gets to the border via shipping broker the title is a scrap of paper that is a receipt not a title. Or it's the previous owners not the current. The shipper wants his money, you don't want the vehicle, the seller has your money and you have a receipt, now you need to go to who knows where to get it straitened out. Drive to who knows where and the address is the court house, the phones disconnected. The vehicle is stolen and your an idiot.

Sorry to say the older one gets the more cynical one becomes. Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is knowing how to not make them again. I've had the opportunity to travel to every continent on earth except the Antarctic and not all of it is like on TV. Or the movies. Actually some of it is. Robbed in London, abducted in Morocco, assaulted by a Gypsy woman in Rome. Forgot where my hotel was in St. Petersburg Russia at 02:00 AM and needed to be at the plant at 07:00, paid $200.00 USD for 12 Heineken in Iran and risked prison for a cold beer. If you want to hear all about it you'll all need to buy the book. My cynicism is hard earned.

I'm with Bill...

I bought in NJ... Boat had no lien... Owner had title... Paid him cash... No issues...

Dad bought in Ohio... Had a lien... Dad paid the bank and got the title from them... No issues...

I was just clear with the seller that I needed him to be honest because I was driving really far to get the boat... He was 100% truthfull about everything on the rig... Told me about some minor issues not in the ad so I wouldn't have any surprises...

You can hire a service and have a boat surveyed for a fee. It will give you the condition of the boat and the status of all of the paperwork. This service can be found from a place called US BOAT which is a national magazine/insurance/surveyor and they are a sound company. They have been fighting for boaters rights and safety for many years and have the ear of congress. I use them for everything including towing insurance/loss insurance and support them for their lobbying efforts.

Art