Xbox one vs Xbox 360

Big Cliff

Not being much of a tech type of guy when it comes to this sort of stuff I figured this would be a good place to start.

I have just spent the last two days reading reviews and trying to decide if the new Xbox one is a worth while investment Vs just buying an Xbox 360. (I'm probably more confused now than I was when I started).

Seems like the Xbox one is pretty advanced and if I understand what I am reading, it would replace the WD TV box that I use to stream movies from my computer through my router.

Act as a DVD/Blueray player (not that I really need a DVD player)

Allow me to play games on line with my son (although there is some mention of needing some sort of an Xbox account to do that)

It seams that it can also be used as a PVR to record TV shows or movies and can actually be used in place of the Bell Expressview box that we currently use. (perhaps one of you smart young fellows can confirm this for me)

I guess my biggest concern is that I am not tech savey enough to be able to use all the bells and whistles this thing has but would I just be buying an outdated piece of equipment if I go with the 360?

We have 2 PS3 and 2 X360 , my son uses his x360 to stream Netflix and whatever video he chooses , same with my daughter , we pay for their XBox Live acct , my sons friend recently got a X1 for his birthday , my son prefers his X360.. I have a PS3 in my cave and one in my room , I use it to stream Netflix , YouTube , Facebook , OFC and also use it as a DVD player , I play a few fishing games and a racing games , our WBTV box has been in a drawer for almost a year now ... I suggest either console , pick it up at a pawn shop , save the bucks for fishing gear :) we also have a Wii behind the bar that we use for YouTube and Netflix , an inferior product , but works well .

No special accounts needed for the PS3 or Wii .

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I am also an owner of a PS3 and will be picking up a PS4 as soon as they restock. I have no complaints when it comes to the PS3 I use it for watching blu

ray movies searching the internet, streaming Netflix and playing with my buddies on line. If its about playing online with your son then you will have to

get an xbox so they are compatible, some guys are xbox fans and some are playstation fans. Both I believe are great products.

PS4 for the win! More powerful than Xbox One (slightly better graphics, faster performance) and it is free to play online, unlike the Xbox. Cheaper too.

It's too bad DLNA was removed from the PS4. One reason why I'll never upgrade my PS3.

If your son has plans to upgrade, go with an Xbox One, if not, pick up a pre-owned 360 from EB Game or somewhere like that (they warranty it for a short while so you know it's not a dud) - you're unlikely to find many games that are produced for both platforms and you both need the same version of the same game to play online.

I'm an Xbox guy myself, I would make a point for both systems, with respect to the Playstation line of consoles. But first to answer your question about the Xbox account, because xbox if a Microsoft product all you need is a Microsoft account. For the 360 I have to renew my online account every year other then that the account is simple to set up.

Xbox 360

• Already have a vast variety of games
  • Bugs are rarely mentioned anymore
  • You don't need kentex to use the system

Xbox One

• Newer games will eventually only come out for Xbox One
  • The system come with the kentex because the System updates itself daily, and when updating itself it also turns the kentex (camera) on
  • It's the first model of the console, so I'm sure there will be tones of bugs. once again its a Microsoft product

I would personally suggest getting the new Xbox One, or as CH312 said the PS4, so those are the systems you should be comparing.

Hey Cliff. If you go into Lindsay to shop for one let me know. I'll help and even come over and help you set it up. Physically, not the online account stuff. I need to find my wireless for my X360 as mine is an older unit and it was an option at the time. If I don't find it I'll just run a network cable from my router to it. It's that easy to do Cliff. Me, I have NO need to upgrade to an X1 because I can add the kentex option if needed.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and Geoff, I just might take you up on that offer, it would be a big help. I went to Staples, The Source, EB Games and Target today asking questions and trying to learn. (Target was a total waste of time) According to The Source, the 360 will only be supported for about two more years. PlayStation either is or will soon be charging you for an account if you want to play on line, which doesn't really surprise me.

No one has any of the Xbox ones in stock, according to EB Games, there were only 10 units alloted to Lindsay and they were all sold out within minutes. The fact that the Xbox one will allow me to replace my WD TV unit is a big plus and the $60.00 or so a year to give me total on line access is kind of interesting. I was also told that there is an IP blocker available for the Xbox one which will allow me access to even the US Netfliks was kind of interesting too.

I guess the other big deciding factor for me will be if my son is going to upgrade to the Xbox one or stick with his 360. So much for an old man to learn LOL.

Keep the opinions coming please, information is power!

I went to Staples, The Source, EB Games and Target

PlayStation either is or will soon be charging you for an account if you want to play on line, which doesn't really surprise me.

Of all the stores that you listed; I would recommend EB Games. The staff there are gamers who will have knowledge about the products they sell.

Of all the stores that you listed; I would recommend EB Games. The staff there are gamers who will have knowledge about the products they sell.

Yes, they were by far the most knowledgeable and helpful. They even put my name on a waiting list for the new Xbox but they don't expect any in before the new year. really nice people in there.

Cliff, you can watch US Netflicks on any unit... google can help you with that... ;)

As for those stores, EB Games is going to be the best for help.

If you need a Xbox 1 ASAP, I might be able to track one down. Key word is MIGHT.

If it were my money I'd be putting it into sony's pocket, I and so many others I know bought a ps3 on release and never had an issue, never looked back.

now with 360 and the red ring of death, a widespread occurrence with the 360 where many of the people I knew had issues with their units and were without them for weeks.

Also being a play station owner first I've had free online courtesy of play station since PS2 playing socom online 10 years ago so the $50 a year I'm giving to play station for online now I have no qualms with. also I'm able to watch netflix US an Canada with no issues.

Please do tell how? Everywhere I look there is software that does it but its another 5 to10 bucks a month..

Do a little YouTube research, you have to change the DNS numbers in the internet settings, I'll see if I can track down the video and post it here in an edit

watch this and it's easy as 123 to change it back and forth, I'll send you some DNS numbers via pm if you would like but sometimes I have to remove my American ones to get better connection while playing online with these ones, I'm not at home now but I've found better ones I can pm you later on when I get home if you have any issues with the first set

Edited by leaf4

Do a little YouTube research, you have to change the DNS numbers in the internet settings, I'll see if I can track down the video and post it here in an edit

I have been there dome that..It only lasts maybe 1 movie if your lucky.. I gave up on that

vpn is overkill if all you want to do is get around geoblocking

there are dns services that cost from 1.99 / month to 4.99 / month which 'alter' your ip address to appear as though you are in another country.

i use unblock.us which is 4.99, and there are cheaper options now. it lets me watch us, uk, australian netflix, get around all regional blackouts on nhl gamecenter, listen to pandora radio, watch hulu & hulu plus etc.. if you are a cord cutter like us, it's a gift from the gods and easy to justify the extra $5 when you have no cable bill.

Edited by Raf