Canada approves production of GM salmon eggs on commercial scale

tb4me

Control the worlds food you control the worlds population.. It has started and is well underway..with patents for soy corn wheat and rice seeds, the average farmer cant even replant his own seed in Canada..Or anywhere else in the world for that matter..Heritage seed banks are our only hope at this point..

Control the worlds food you control the worlds population.. It has started and is well underway..with patents for soy corn wheat and rice seeds, the average farmer cant even replant his own seed in Canada..Or anywhere else in the world for that matter..Heritage seed banks are our only hope at this point..

yep, and who owns the heritage seeds???

A genetically enhanced cow verses a chemically enhanced cow you are already eating one of them if you buy meat at the retail level. A cow that can not get mad cow disease either by a shot or selective breeding which is better? A chicken that grows faster genetically or a chicken that is fed phosphorus to put on the pounds. We all want the best for the least amount of money yet we feel someone else should pay the difference. Would you pay $2.00 lb more for chicken if it was free range ? Would you own a company that raised free range chickens that lost money? So now we have you buying a better product that is costing you more you now need to make more money so you ask for a raise. There is a ladder that we all climb that as we ask for more labor intense products the price goes up to cover the expense.

Art

Food is very intertwined with health. Ill gladly pay extra for quality food, and do. Its becoming more and more available to get quality foods, and i hope it continues to grow. You see, one of many issues i have with genetically modifying food is that we have little data on safety at this point, the whole world is just kinda winging it and "hey, lets see what happens". Ive seen this in other areas of our life and unless your privy to "real" double blind placebo trials that are NOT funded by those that profit from a favourable outcome, you really have no idea, nor do i. When i studied to be a nutritional consultant practitioner, and organic chemistry etc, my eyes were opened to some really strange outcomes of science, that the general public would have no idea was even happening. A quick example would be vitamin e. ask ten people what they think of vitamin e, and all ten will probably say "yeah, that a healthy vitamin". A few might say " oh yeah thats an anti oxidant, good to combat illness and disease". But i guarantee not one of them says " vitamin e is a great anti oxidant for general health and well being, but it must be natural tocopherol and not synthetic, because the synthetic version is mirrored, and thus backwords. The body doesnt recognize "backwards vitamin e" and it might actually stimulate an immune response not favourable to human health"

Edited by manitoubass2

As soon as i hear the term "GMO", I automatically think it means generically misguided outcomes. Once science is used as a means to profit, its no longer legitimate imo. Do you think some of these conglomerate corporations perform "real science" for the benefit of mankind? Its nothing more then profit at any means necessary, not really the type of "pseudo scientist" i trust. Art, would you buy a loaf of bread from a asbestos company? I wouldnt. These arent "food" companies, they specialize in making poisonous and toxic chemicals. What a great place to get your chickens from! Half of them should be shut down for previous crimes against humanity, real talk.

Funny you should ask about bread and asbestos. Many of the big food companies have there hands in a lot more than food now a days.lol. My line of thought is you will not stop profit no matter what you do it is the driving factor for both the consumer and the producer. If the company can produce a chicken that is cost per pound cheaper by chemical or by genetically modifying they will do it and you (meaning all consumers) are forcing them to do it. Few people would pay for a better product if they felt like they could not get someone else to pay for it. In other words take on an additional expense without knowing how it is going to be paid for. It is when a person can ignore the past statement when they become willingly debted to either a person or credit company. Now we have to look at the production side we as investors are the driving force behind less expenses with better profits to the stockholders. Without advances in production we do not have the land or capacity to feed people the old fashion way where it takes 3/4 acres to bring 1 sheep to market. Chickens raised here at our farm (faux Farm) are here for the eggs and are also free range cost.... wait for it 3 times as much per egg and 300% more room. it takes 20 chickens to keep 6 adults in casual egg use with this method. For there to be a profit to support a company of art's eggs is $11.25 per dozen.... the best I can get with this method is $5.00 a dozen from the public. The data just does not support a business model that supports mass produced organic produce.

Art

Funny you should ask about bread and asbestos. Many of the big food companies have there hands in a lot more than food now a days.lol. My line of thought is you will not stop profit no matter what you do it is the driving factor for both the consumer and the producer. If the company can produce a chicken that is cost per pound cheaper by chemical or by genetically modifying they will do it and you (meaning all consumers) are forcing them to do it. Few people would pay for a better product if they felt like they could not get someone else to pay for it. In other words take on an additional expense without knowing how it is going to be paid for. It is when a person can ignore the past statement when they become willingly debted to either a person or credit company. Now we have to look at the production side we as investors are the driving force behind less expenses with better profits to the stockholders. Without advances in production we do not have the land or capacity to feed people the old fashion way where it takes 3/4 acres to bring 1 sheep to market. Chickens raised here at our farm (faux Farm) are here for the eggs and are also free range cost.... wait for it 3 times as much per egg and 300% more room. it takes 20 chickens to keep 6 adults in casual egg use with this method. For there to be a profit to support a company of art's eggs is $11.25 per dozen.... the best I can get with this method is $5.00 a dozen from the public. The data just does not support a business model that supports mass produced organic produce.

Art

you just perfectly described how capitalism and the free market is a MASSIVE human error and exploits humanity for the sake of profit. A** backwards imo. You know art, if a person is knowledgable in "their product/practise" and does a lil leg work, consumers will come for quality. Read any of the comments in the Lund thread? Seems to me consumers are more than willing to pay extra for a superior product that performs well and exceeds safety recommendations. What makes you think producing food in a similar manner wont succeed or be profitable provided you do your best to educate, provide exceptional service and product? I get it, its more convenient to follow the new status quo of company disservice to an ignorant consumer fueled by nothing other then profit. Its no wonder our world is a complete and utter mess

There IS viable alternatives on the shelf... For now. The option is there.

If more people would drop the higher price on the stuff that won't give them cancer, those prices would go down. Supply and demand. Buy organic or at very least "antibiotic and hormone free" . PC has it's 'Free From' line which is quite legit and pretty reasonable priced when you compare it to the cornfed alternative at regular price. The prices on these hormone free and free range products have dropped rapidly in recent years as there is now a competitive market.

Pillers for instance has gone specifically to all hormone free/antibiotic free grass fed meats.

Schneiders has an entire line of all their products mirrored in a hormone/preservative free version called Country Naturals. And their sister Maple Leaf has "natural selections" the same thing.

The people never understand that the power is in THEIR hands. The winds of change are upon us.

Would you pay $2.00 lb more for chicken if it was free range ? Would you own a company that raised free range chickens that lost money? So now we have you buying a better product that is costing you more you now need to make more money so you ask for a raise. There is a ladder that we all climb that as we ask for more labor intense products the price goes up to cover the expense.

Art

Art makes a good point. We produce pesticide free, non- modified produce. We are pretty good at it too. A lot of folks want it, but will not pay the premium that some organic growers wish to charge. It requires a lot of specialization, and a lot more expense to go that route. Did you know that the wholesale price for tomatoes is the same as it was 20 years back? Fuel prices alone are 200% higher since then. You can't blame producers for trying to grab any slight advantage to increase their margins.

When I see veggies that look like they should be in a floral arangment and chicken and turkey that look like they are jacked up on steriods,Im thinking what the hell happen to the orange carrots and red tomatoes we once knew to be true.

Believe it or not, the odd coloured veggies are often some of the oldest true seed varieties around. Purple and yellow carrots, "black" tomatoes, orange, green, white plum tomatoes, white and purple peppers, black radish, blue potatoes, are all heirloom strain as old as dirt itself.

That perfect red tomato is the hybrid.

All this stuff is exactly why I grow a garden, fish, hunt, and gather. This crap is gonna kill ya's!!

I keep telling my kids we're soon going to pack up our gear, get to the middle of nowhere, build our log cabin, and live off the land with what nature will provide us with.

S.

Believe it or not, the odd coloured veggies are often some of the oldest true seed varieties around. Purple and yellow carrots, "black" tomatoes, orange, green, white plum tomatoes, white and purple peppers, black radish, blue potatoes, are all heirloom strain as old as dirt itself.

That perfect red tomato is the hybrid.

Ya got that right..We grow just about everything on your list excet the peppers all from heritage seed banks. Also we grow a tomato called Sicilian saucer it is red and as old as the hills..Tomato seeds are one of the easiest to harvest..

yep, and who owns the heritage seeds???

We the people do..Thats the point..Its run on a co-op basis you can buy sell or trade. There are a TON of seed banks run by average joes all over the planet.

Start here and go from there..

http://www.seeds.ca/en.php

Edited by tb4me

Yes, but he also fails to mention that producing a lower cost higher yield does not necessarily mean you(the company/corporation) need to lower quality to provide profit. When pseudo science is used at the expense of ones health to provide these lower cost higher yield products, your demonstrating an enormous lack of morals in spite of your fellow man. Enter this into numerous facets of human needs or wants, and the result is a culling of sorts. Intentionally or unintentionally you are harming nature in inhumane ways. Really, its a flaw in thinking rationally in what benefits from these practises. Unfortunately in todays modernized world knowledge and intelligence are in an awkward "beneficial" debate. To use it as a means solely for profit? Or use it as a means to provide health and satiety? When money rules us, guess which route gets chosen more times then not.

We the people do..Thats the point..Its run on a co-op basis you can buy sell or trade. There are a TON of seed banks run by average joes all over the planet.

Start here and go from there..

http://www.seeds.ca/en.php

true, but my point was geared more towards the legality of there use now, and in the near future. Many people are already being sued bankrupt by laws that inhibit the use of seeds for medium sized and large scale open farming. In other words we live in a system within corporate society that is slowly, but blatantly obviously taking away our rights to bare fruit so to speak. Thus my concern for GMO anything. Patents pending and patents awarded are allowing huge corporations to control our food supply and thats just flat out dangerous. Illegal to use a seed you want to use? Seriously think about the implications of that. That in itself should be a crime, and never should happen to begin with. We dont trust the government with our tax dollars, why would we trust them with our food????

true, but my point was geared more towards the legality of there use now, and in the near future. Many people are already being sued bankrupt by laws that inhibit the use of seeds for medium sized and large scale open farming. In other words we live in a system within corporate society that is slowly, but blatantly obviously taking away our rights to bare fruit so to speak. Thus my concern for GMO anything. Patents pending and patents awarded are allowing huge corporations to control our food supply and thats just flat out dangerous. Illegal to use a seed you want to use? Seriously think about the implications of that. That in itself should be a crime, and never should happen to begin with. We dont trust the government with our tax dollars, why would we trust them with our food????

You hit the nail right on the head..This why its important to keep these seed banks running and why its also important to keep growing them, even if its only for our personal use..Like I said earlier once they control the food they control us. People are to lazy or asleep to figure out whats happening right under our noses. Weather GMO are good or bad is honestly irrelevant right now we should be more worried that our farmers cant grow whats left in the silo come spring due to patent laws..Now look further down the road when these companies start patenting genes perfected in labs for humans..Those genes go into our bodies, when we reproduce does that mean we have to pay someone to have kids? Its a slippery slope is all im saying..

Ya got that right..We grow just about everything on your list excet the peppers all from heritage seed banks. Also we grow a tomato called Sicilian saucer it is red and as old as the hills..Tomato seeds are one of the easiest to harvest..

Sicilian saucer is one of the ugliest, yet tastiest tomatoes around. For a totally different flavour try some of the old Siberian variants. Black Krim for slicing or black plum as a salad or sauce tomato. On the peppers, try a company known as West Coast Seed. Pretty reliable firm specializing in organic and heirloom seed strains