A big missed opportunity.

Bernie

Incredible.... Yup lets keep these liberal clowns in office for another term. I bet Wynne would have done differently?

I'm seriously and utterly done with the squandering of deals by the liberals like this which would have brought in a ton of jobs and residual business to Ontario.

Who the heck in their right mind would vote these numbskulls in again, for anything else???

Relax everyone. Cliffs is not a friendly company. They are playing war games right now. It's their way or the highway and they are folding their arms and pretending to quit the game.

I was a shareholder in the company that sold the deposits (Thor, Big Daddy) and Cliffs bought the resource at a very low cost relative to the value of the metal in the ground.

When they purchased the claims, they took the lead on developing the area and made all kinds of promises and projections... and the media reported on it. Now that things are not going their way they are blaming everyone they can. KWG resource, hydro prices, Ont Gov.

Cliffs is angry at the province because the province WON"T FORCE another company to allow Cliffs to have a shipping right of way on their claim (KWG Resources). If you were a competing company and CLiffs had screwed you in the past, would you want Cliffs to have special treatment, and force you to give them access to your land? Cliffs is simply leveraging the threat of a 'lost opportunity' upon Ontario.

The ring of fire is still progressing. There are MANY more companies still developing mines and deposits. Cliffs is a big powerful company that has a history of making its presence felt.

don't ever let a single company have any power over a government, no matter how incompetent you think that governement is. That is the stupidest thing we could ever wish for as a population.

EDIT: and one more thing, You won't see Cliffs selling this deposit anytime soon.

Edited by Rod Caster

Cliffs was the one who tried to force their native employees to work for $140 a day. That's for a 12 hour+ shift.. they walked off the job. We don't hear about this stuff on southern ont. Its an amazing fishing area and it would be a shame for them to destroy it...

It's not ok for anyone in this country to work for minimum wage when you are working in conditions such as theirs.... flown in for up to 4 weeks at a time with 14 hour days.... the job was to haul 200 tons of samples and load them into airplanes by hand... they had no way of getting them out in a timely manner in case of injuries, there was no isolation pay, and the camp conditions were deplorable... we don't live in a third world country here....

12 bucks an hour isn't minimum.

it is a standard general labour pay. (again, non union)

which now you have confirmed the work was. (hauling goods by hand)

i have no sympathy for folks who walk off paying jobs, who are unskilled, and getting 12 bucks an hour.

Relax guys. The minerals aren't going anywhere. Everyone thinks that there's a big rush to get this thing going. There isn't.

thats what i mean….one day…someone will dig it/frack it/drill it off of or out of the ground if its there, Cliffs will be back when it starts if there is money to be made.