Eskimo Pop Up Ice Huts...

Mike Pike

My cousin was looking at purchasing a portable shelter for this winter.

He was looking at some pop up huts by 'Eskimo' but I couldn't offer him any details or advice on 'em, other than their website and some youtube vids.

Does anybody have one? Any pros and cons you could pass along?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mike Pike

If you are referring to the hub style pop out Eskimo huts, I have one of the older green ones. It is perfect for my needs, stows on the rack of my atv, or fits inside a small sled when I'm on foot. Very comfortable and convenient to fish out of, and having owned both a fish trap pro, and currently also own a fish trap guide, I generally take the Eskimo hub style hut every time. I really don't find it takes a lot more effort to set it up once I've found fish. As for the Eskimo flip overs, yes I owned one of the first generation ones, and I wasn't a big fan of it, but I think they've gotten a lot better. Perhaps someone has more info on them!

A lot of my friends in Alaska are using them and seem to like them.

I use a hub early in the year but when there is safe ice for the snowmobile I use a flip over as it is easier to change spots.

Have heard of issues with the windows cracking in the older Eskimo popups but I believe that has been fixed. Ardisam was good to replace any broken parts though so I would not worry.

Tell him to go ahead and grab one. ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I'm seriously thinking about a pop up to keep inside my flip hut. The flip over is great for mobility, but the pop ups are soooooo much bigger once they're up.

My plan was use the flip hut until I'm on fish, then set up the pop up and get comfy.

Also great when taking kids.

S.

Frabill, clam, Eskimo, or even the Costco brand are good options.... They're all pretty much the same... But yeah the ice screws on the Eskimo are the largest, but having said that, I've never had a problem with the normal standard ice screws on the other models.

Also remember to use the foam interlocking floor squares for your feet.... Does wonders!

I think the eskimo pop up's are the best out there, the new models this year are insulated...the new clam insulated popup looks to be similar quality, but I still prefer the eskimo

and I will say that ardisam is good at honouring the warranty....broke the cast alum handle on my ice auger and with in 4 days it had arrived, very fast shipping on a warranty claim in my experiences

I think the eskimo pop up's are the best out there,

Thats why I went with one. You see so many of them out there. If they were crap,well,you wouldnt.

I like the fact,you put the screws inside the hut,not outside. Set it up,put the heat on,then anchor it down in comfort. But,if it,s blown that bad,I like the comforts of walking the bush with a shot gun or fishing the river.

ive been looking at popups too. the shappell looks like the best bang for the buck. im sure the eskimo is good, but the shappell is bigger, cheaper and thicker fabric. 600D

the wide doors and windows are nice too

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/shappell-wide-house-6500-shelt.aspx?a=1028398

That's pretty nice!!,even less than what my clam is worth.Pays to look around!!