Any boating forums out there you can recommend? Thoughts of going big?

Old Ironmaker

I'm thinking about selling my fishing rig and getting into something much larger and gently used, probably something with all the bells and whistles maybe even an aft cabin. 28' plus. I was thinking seriously about a nice cuddy but for a few bucks more you can get into something much larger. It looks like it's the first 25' that costs you. There sure are many deals out there compared to 8 years ago. Many, many reasons I may make this move.

I know many here have boats and was wondering if there is a good boating forum that I will learn from before I spend some hard earned money and make a lifestyle change. I will have to sell our waterfront property to do so probably unless I spend less than 30K. We've been thinking about moving inland as these winters on the water are getting to me, big time. We've been lucky these past few winters but normally we never know if we can get out after a storm. We have a place south I rent out for the year as the wife still works full time, if it's something she can do were looking at staying the summers and fall on the boat then going south when she decides to retire in no less than 8 years. No sense going from one waterfront deck to go to a different one for the day or weekend.

I have friends over the years that got into it and lasted 2 seasons, some after 30 years are still there.

Anyone done the same thing? Thoughts?

Thanks

Johnny D

I get a magazine called Boat US it has lots of info. on what it takes to find and maintain the boat that will fit your lifestyle. The downside is the destination and area write up are in the US so they would do you little good. You can check them out on line at http://www.boatus.com/magazine/.

Art

I can say I spent the last two years trying it fit my self into the ideal boat that suited me for my like of boating and also for on the days I want to fish. After buying and trying several boats since ranging in sizes from 12’ to 20’ this pass spring I bought “Fretless” . It’s a slightly older boat in the 10 to 15 gran range, 28 footer with zero hours on its complete inside and out side make over. My reasoning for wanting to own a boat this size was so that once I was on the water I and any one with me could be comfortable. What mattered to me most more then any thing was it had to have the full size washroom , a roof of some sort over my head to keep me out of the sun or rain, lots of open flat floor space on the main deck and good fuel economy, all to which I now have with this boat . Fuel economy in big boats is every one’s first concern but do I have it with this one. I’ll start with saying it has a fuel tank that holds 850.00 dollars worth and perhaps lucky for me when I picked it up the tank was full . It has what’s called a displacement hull, some will know what that means and others may not. What it means is with a displacement hull the boat is unable to get up on top and plain out , rather it cuts thru the water more like an ocean liner dose making it very stable in rough water . The down side to a displacement hulls is their top speed is not great, for my particular boat’s top speed is 15 knots and if I’ am right one knot = 1.5 mph. Its engine is the 4 cylinder Volvo Penta and Penta out drive. This combination of a small motor with a displacement hull and over all boat length have proven to me that I can afford to own and run a boat this size. Its big enough that it suites my needs but small enough that I trailer it back and fourth to the lakes ,plus I like the fact I can keep it at home and don’t have to put out upwards of 3500 out for a slip each season . The first day I spent on the water in this boat I drove my self nuts believing the fuel gage wasn’t working, opening up the hatch and banging on the fuel tank didn’t help me either, it was not till I boated all day and got home then took the sending unit out of the fuel tank ad measured its content with a stick that I finally agreed that is was working properly. I’ve been just about five times around Lake Simcoe with it this summer as well as a few short days on the water and its now showing at half a tank left in it. That’s running it mine you at 7 & 8 knots most of the time to which I enjoy for a speed to my favourite fishing spots. Good luck , shop wisely and I believe you’ll be happy in the end . $(KGrHqF,!mEFBObsRmv2BReo9))+D!~~48_20.jpg

Nice boat Lew, I'm happy for you. Looked at a few over the weekend, I'm having a flash back to when I was looking for the boat I have now, it took months. I'll find it.

Unlike you Lew, I don't want to trailer it. I have found the marina I would dock it in and it's not cheap, it is cheaper than most of the trailer parks around here.

Thanks all......

top speed is 15 knots and if I’ am right one knot = 1.5 mph.

The first day I spent on the water in this boat I drove my self nuts believing the fuel gage wasn’t working, opening up the hatch and banging on the fuel tank didn’t help me either, it was not till I boated all day and got home then took the sending unit out of the fuel tank ad measured its content with a stick that I finally agreed that is was working properly.

I believe that it more like 1 knot = 1.15 mph... but it has been close to 30 years since I took my navigation course in college. :)

I had the same issue with my gas gauge, but with a smaller boat. I thought it was broken because it always showed full even after trolling for several hours. Fishing 12 miles off shore or taking the kids tubing for a couple of hours will drop the gauge below the full level.