New Hunter - tons of start up questions

icefisherman

Well, after procrastinating for ever I've finally decided to take the jump and become a hunter. Did the courses, sent for PAL, bought the ON hunting card, small game license and deer tag. Waiting on the Turkey DVD to arrive so I can do that exam as well....will start bow hunting while waiting for the PAL to arrive.

Need advice on what equipment to buy and where I can get good deals. Doing a lot of reading and talking to friends who know more about the hunting sport but I am sure many of you can add their own views on the subject...camo clothes...guns...bow...gun cabinet and I am sure many other things I'll need to buy....I hear it is a more expensive hobby than fishing so better be careful to make sure I don't regret buying the wrong equipment.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Camo - Try to match the pattern to the surroundings you'll hunt most often. Keep in mind birds see color and a waterproof jacket and pants are great. In either case be sure the fabric is quiet.

Guns - The Remington 870 is an excellent starter shotgun with tons of accessories and will cover every animal from squirrel to moose. A .22 rifle would be excellent for plinking and taking small game as well as being the cheapest option for learning trigger squeeze, controlling your breathing, and eventually teaching the kids about firearms. Savage and Marlin make very accurate and inexpensive bolt actions.

Bow - Do you want to shoot traditional, compound, or crossbow?

Gun cabinet - Anything that is somewhat sturdy and lockable will suffice and will eliminate the need for trigger locks while storing your firearms. Many guys go with the el cheapo stackon cabinets.

Most important, what do you plan on hunting?

If your going for moose and deer.. a good gun for both imho.. is a decent bolt action 30-06. The cartridge is a good flat shot and there are lots of bullet sizes... with a good scope and some practice... no second shot necessary.

If you choose a compound bow, there is a lot you need to do before you can just get one and go hunting!

You would be best to (if you choose compound) not to hunt big game this year, too much practice is needed to make a clean kill.

Enter some 3-d shoots and get used to getting your yardage down. Practice is the key and a good mentor if you can find one.

Please don't rush into it, it all takes time, practice and knowledge.

know your wind

don't get caught up in all the marketing hype, camo, scent blockers, etc...know your wind and learn how to stalk quietly

don't take shots (yardage) that you've never taken at the range, whether bow or rifle, if you haven't practiced that distance at the range, don't take the 'hero' shot at game....what they don't show on tv, in the long range hunting shows, is how much practice and technique is required to make those long shots

magnums are all the rage nowadays, but are not good for a new shooter, end up shooting dinner plate sized groups....IMO the 270 is a fine calibre for anything in ON, savage is affordable and among the most accurate out of the box

don't measure success by dead animals, every day hunting is a great day!

joining a club would likely help the learning curve, and possibly try to make friends with a farmer

what and where do you plan to hunt?

cheers and good luck, your buddies were right, hunting hurts the wallet more than fishing LOL

don't measure success by dead animals, every day hunting is a great day!

:clapping:

cheers and good luck, your buddies were right, hunting hurts the wallet more than fishing LOL

:wallbash:

If your going for moose and deer.. a good gun for both imho.. is a decent bolt action 30-06. The cartridge is a good flat shot and there are lots of bullet sizes... with a good scope and some practice... no second shot necessary.

:good:

Please don't rush into it, it all takes time, practice and knowledge.

AMEN :)

What kind of land do you have access to hunt? private? public? is rifle permitted? shotgun only?

Bows = Excaclibur - DOne!

CLothing = Buy quality - some will disagree but ive been huting for 17 years and love being comfortable and warm! Buy 1 pair of Rubber insulated boots/1 pair of waterproof hunting boots

You will then then tree stands, extra guns, decoys, trail cams, etc etc hehe just kidding but eventaully if you go hardcore it will get $$$.

Well, after procrastinating for ever I've finally decided to take the jump and become a hunter. Did the courses, sent for PAL, bought the ON hunting card, small game license and deer tag. Waiting on the Turkey DVD to arrive so I can do that exam as well....will start bow hunting while waiting for the PAL to arrive.

Need advice on what equipment to buy and where I can get good deals. Doing a lot of reading and talking to friends who know more about the hunting sport but I am sure many of you can add their own views on the subject...camo clothes...guns...bow...gun cabinet and I am sure many other things I'll need to buy....I hear it is a more expensive hobby than fishing so better be careful to make sure I don't regret buying the wrong equipment.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I knew I can count on good input guys...appreciate it and keep it coming....few clarifications...

I'll probably start with a crossbow...no need to wait for the PAL and no time for extensive practice with compound...

A friend (a very kind one) has invited me to go with him. I think he is using private land he's been granted access to...He'll lend me a crossbow I can use until I decide what to buy...He already got 2 deer so I know I have a very good coach ;-)

At the start I'll be mostly fishing Southern ON...I hear you cannot use rifles here so as soon as the PAL arrives will probably be buying 12 gauge shot gun...after advice by few people I narrowed it down to:

- Mossberg 530 or 535 ...both the triple combo versions or

- Remington 870 Express triple combo version (what I really like is the 870 Wingmaster in triple combo version but I understand it doesn't come in such a package)

Opinions on one vs. the other?

0n the Bows....was told Excalibur is good and local Canadian with good warranty....but hear that Ten Point bows are even better though a bit more expensive....that is why I was asking where can I find good heavily discounted deals on this stuff.

Do I use my own/existing winter cloths and just buy not very tick camo jacket and pants to cover?

Due to the short timeline I have there will not be much time for practicing.

I hope to find good deals on what I need during upcoming gun/sports shows in the winter and will be borrowing most of what my immediate needs are so I can get a chance of getting my first deer...

What to hunt - deer to start...turkey...ducks...rabbits...grouse and am trying to start the ball rolling on taking part in a camp for next year moose season....I know quite ambitious program but with good friends anything can be done...they've been bugging me to become a hunter for the past 4-5 years and my main reason for procrastinating for so long was where/with whom will I be hunting to start....so I do count on them a lot...fishing has been great in building friendships with like minded people...can't thank them enough.

Where to hunt....in addition to going with friends in their territories I am trying to talk to local farmers close to the our family or to our friends families...hope some agree to let me hunt their properties...

So this is kind of the "big plan" ...have to start putting it in motion as the season is almost here ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Geezzz..... i forgot the best advice of all.. when hunting in the morning with your buddys, learn how to shoot with a massive pounding headache.... above all that will serve you well.. OH and the other most important lesson I ever learned .. if you don't go hunting, you'll never shoot... taught to me by the man who went to my watch, cause i was too "tired" to go... lol.. came back to camp... picked me up and made me go back and field dress it as a lesson... LESSON LEARNED.... LOL

"0n the Bows....was told Excalibur is good and local Canadian with good warranty....but hear that Ten Point bows are even better though a bit more expensive....that is why I was asking where can I find good heavily discounted deals on this stuff."

I had an opportunity to shoot both the ten point and an older excalibur this summer. I won't say that the ten point is crap. Probably work for what you want but I did find this;

Ten point was louder, heavier and slower (shot through the chronograph at 28 fps slower than the excalibur).

Excalibur is great with less working parts.