PB Chinny on the pin Big sow

misfish

Theres been alot of questions about big fish on the pin,salmon fishing with the pin.

Today I was able to answer my own question.

Could I finally handle a big fish with the pin.I mean,one that will make crazy runs,dive down to the bottom and able to turn it.When to let it play his game,then snatch that head around and make it mine.

Well,my answer is yes.

I don,t have the years of experince like some here with the pin,(3rd full season for me)but it,s coming to me ,and I really enjoy the advantages it gives.

So,here,s how I handled my personal best today.

Was fishing a long deep pool (50 yards or so) Made about 8 or 10 drifts. You can really pick the pool apart and make your float go down many parts of it. Adjusting the float to hook length, for each part of it. First couple were down the fast side,then down the outside of the fast side,then the middle of the steady/slack side.

The steady/slack side was the the ticket.

Float disappears,lift the rod,fish on and I was in for the battle of my short pin life. A good run from side to side of the lower part of pool,keeping pressure on,it started to swim up to me. Once it got to the main part of the pool,that,s when the game really got intense.. I guess the fish realized it was hooked and tried to make his get away. Up it screamed. When I say scream,I could hear the line cutting the water.I kept a small amount of pressure on the pin. With my dry finger burning. LOL

I reach down to wet my hand so I could palm the reel,it runs back down the pool. Reel,reel reel. Ok got ya still.whew.. When this fish wanted to run or dive,I let it,but kept total focus on my drag control.(I have lost big fish using to much drag)

This went on for about 10 minutes. Up/down/dive. At one point I was getting anxious. But just relaxed and waited the fish out.Once I felt it was time,I lifted the rod,and pulled,turning it,s head,and it started to glide to the sandy shore.. Just as thought the battle was over,it twisted,turned and made,what turned out to be it,s last run. Another lift,turn,walk back,and I had it beached with the help of my buddy Terry..

it was an amazing feeling. This was a personal best,. Big sow of a chinny. 20+

A couple of quick pictures,and I let her go to make baby,s..

001_zps404c2f43.jpg

005_zps0771421a.jpg

004_zpsac2cdbe4.jpg

Hope this helps those with questions about big fish,and pinning for salmon..

I wont say I,ll land them all,cuz Im sure I wont,but learning will improve my landings and yours.

I need to correct my set up. I respooled and realized my main was 8 pd Raven,not 10 pd. This even makes my PB that more exciting for me.

Another great outing buddy. Next time,keep yer fingers out of the pictures.LOL

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Misfish

congrats - nice fish. They sure are an adrenaline rush. Pics taken with your Fuji? I get the same finger shots.

Thanks bud.

Ya the Fugi. I got a laugh when you said that,as I remember you saying that when you were up here.LOL

Been a great 4 days so far. Weather is warmer then I like,but it,s been awesome. 2 more to go,then back to the grind. :wallbash:

Congrats on the beast and thanks for the post Brian! Much appreciated on my end. Basically just take it easy on the fish is the name of the game or so it seems. Hope to get my first big pin fish this season!

As god is my witness Rich,and Terry will back me up on this. Once I had this big fish on and fighting it,your thread came to me right off the bat.

Glad I was able share my experince and help.

Good luck brother.

Thanks guys.

Funny thing this morning. I was just getting rigged up and a passer by said ,hey Brian,nice fish yesterday. Oh thanks,who are you. Oh Im not a board member,I just seen your post. LOL

Says he knows Terry. :whistling:

if he knew where we were, it's from this thread

cause I told no one I was going and spoken to no one about being there...so we are saying too much in our posts

cause I told no one I was going and spoken to no one about being there...so we are saying too much in our posts

LOL

Everyone knows Terry. LOL

I guess the other 12 guys seen this thread too. Thats a wrap on posting now.

Great fish Brian!!!!!,I also agree,love the shots but a little to much background scenery :whistling: JMO. lol.

Edited by davey buoy