Is this the correct way of using a baitmaker?

redpearl99

No need to lift the aluminum "holder" to twist.

Open aluminum "holder", lay square of mesh over it, add eggs over mesh to depression in plastic base, grasp edges of mesh tighten up as you close the aluminum "holder". Burn off excess with soldering iron (such as http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/WeldingSoldering/Soldering/PRD~0586305P/Mastercraft+25W+Soldering+Iron.jsp?locale=en). Open and pull out completed spawn sac.

Thats the easiest way to do it.

Burt :)

I use the baitmaker however I threw away the metal thing and just use the orange plastic base.

Lay mesh material over depression on orange base. Put eggs on mesh over the depression. Take finger and push eggs into depression (doing so folds the edges of the mesh upwards for easy grabbing). Grab the folded edges of the mesh with one hand and grab the other half (bottom end with eggs) with the other hand. Twist till you reach proper roe bag firmness and pinch so it doesn't unravel. Take spider-thread and wrap a few times (either snap or cut the spider-thread). Cut excess mesh material. Roe bag done. It's easier done than said.LOL

The guys at Tightlines do something similar except instead of using a baitmaker, they use a wooden board with about 30 depressions. They can do 30 roe bags at a time

I bought my baitmaker from Barclays in Oshawa when I was 8 after seeing a demo. The guy doing the demo used a soldering iron to cut away the excess mesh material. I just found it more time consuming to do it that way.

Cheapest 4lb mono you can find and a pair of scissors. No need to use a lighter to 'melt' the remaining mesh...

Yep.

It's all I have ever used.

I don't use the Melnak unit though.

I use the Spawnee tying rig as it allows me to tighten up my bag better and I tie under the rig not on top like you have to with the Melnak.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Spawnee-Bait-Sac-Tying-Machine

200-0.jpg

I used to have the baitmaker but when u think about it I don't see how any of these machines could make you any faster.

My way is similar to the way MJL talked about in his post minus the piece of wood. I lay some paper towel down (in case you break any of the eggs). Lay 10,20,30 etc.. cut squares of netting down. Place the appropriate amount of eggs in the middle of each piece and then hand wrap each sac with spiderthread (10-12 times) and cut the excess netting. I found this way to be way faster then using the baitmaker.

I used to have the baitmaker but when u think about it I don't see how any of these machines could make you any faster.

My way is similar to the way MJL talked about in his post minus the piece of wood. I lay some paper towel down (in case you break any of the eggs). Lay 10,20,30 etc.. cut squares of netting down. Place the appropriate amount of eggs in the middle of each piece and then hand wrap each sac with spiderthread (10-12 times) and cut the excess netting. I found this way to be way faster then using the baitmaker.

This is the only way to do it. I guarantee I can tie at least twice as many this way as any bait "machine". Those things do nothing but slow me down!

S.

Yep.

It's all I have ever used.

I don't use the Melnak unit though.

I use the Spawnee tying rig as it allows me to tighten up my bag better and I tie under the rig not on top like you have to with the Melnak.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Spawnee-Bait-Sac-Tying-Machine

200-0.jpg

Have anyone ever seen the lady at Angling Outfitters (Concord) use this? She averages 1 bag a second! Super fast!!