Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

For the ability to stop rebounds? I don't think that's got anything to do with starting vs not starting.

being a goalie myself it certainly does, playing target in practice is a whole different ball game than having big bodies and traffic in front of you, as you have in a game situation, so if you can stop that puck even if it gives a rebound you get whatever you can muster in front of it

Reimer has had his confidence robbed by Carlyle this year. It was Reimer that took the Leafs to the playoffs last year. Along comes Bernier, with barely any NHL stats to speak of, and Carlyle basically hands him the starting role. I agree that Bernier is the man now but I don't think that Reimer got a fair shake this year. I hope he gets traded because he deserves better than what he's getting now. Bernier has looked like a pee wee player plenty of times himself this year. In fact I blame him for two of the Leafs first 3 losses after the olympics. The time when he basically scored on himself and also when he smothered the puck inside the circle for a penalty that cost the Leafs the game.

Reimer has had his confidence robbed by Carlyle this year. It was Reimer that took the Leafs to the playoffs last year. Along comes Bernier, with barely any NHL stats to speak of, and Carlyle basically hands him the starting role. I agree that Bernier is the man now but I don't think that Reimer got a fair shake this year. I hope he gets traded because he deserves better than what he's getting now. Bernier has looked like a pee wee player plenty of times himself this year. In fact I blame him for two of the Leafs first 3 losses after the olympics. The time when he basically scored on himself and also when he smothered the puck inside the circle for a penalty that cost the Leafs the game.

I get your comment but if Reimer started more games truth is that we'd have a worse record. He is not as good as Bernier and Bernier earned the starting role. Reimer has trouble with confidence, high glove shots, and rebound control, he is not nearly as good at tracking the puck and when it hits him he rarely knows where it ends up (awareness). At this point I do not believe Reimer will ever be a legitimate starting goalie in the NHL until he improves these faults. don't get me wrong i like the kid but Reimer did this to himself by under-performing, it had nothing to do with Carlyle. When your a coach you play the goalie that gives you the best chance of winning and that's what he did. Just my 2 cents

Why does he always fall forward and flop on the ice leaving the whole net open. The leafs as a whole played terrible. But the goals were pretty soft. It's obvious bernier is the better tender

Edited by danbob

the leafs haven't been playing very well since the Olympics really, even people were saying great game against Anaheim. maybe great first period. if it wasn't for bernier they would have lost by 3 goals, they were out shot for the billionth time this year 44-23. They have allowed the second most goals in the third period out of all NHL teams. If it wasn't for Phil being on a tear, Bernier playing unbelievable and most of our players having an unsustainable inflated shooting percentage we wouldn't even be near the playoff picture. I hope they add some defensive talent in the off season, another stay home shot blocker like Gleason is needed. Also, I like Carlyle but he preaches defense first systems and there is nothing defensive about it. All im asking for is to avoid an embarrassment in the playoffs. Lets get in and anything can happen!

2nd place in the Atlantic, how many games left in the season? They must be doing something right. If it was October I might agree with you, but they've proved even with being out shot (Which really means bunk when those shots are coming from the boards) that they've got a handle on things...

Edited by BillM

I agree with 15 games remaining and in second place its time to give credit where credit is due. They allow alot of shots, and the defense isn't all that consistent. The forwards aren't great at playing team defense. However, the goal tending has made up for this and that goaltending has primarily been Bernier. This isn't a knock against Riemer. This isn't ignorance of the weknesses, but the team makeup and play has a whole has kept this team in games and winning more games than they have not. How many of you at the begining of the year would have said no to leafs in third in the east with 15 games left even if they allow alot of shots and reimer is number 2.

When the goal tending is weak they get bombed like lastnight. When its strong they win and we are left wondering how. haha. I am very happy as a leafs fan right now.

2nd place in the Atlantic, how many games left in the season? They must be doing something right. If it was October I might agree with you, but they've proved even with being out shot (Which really means bunk when those shots are coming from the boards) that they've got a handle on things...

this is a very good point, i suppose im looking into the playoffs and feeling that this type of gameplay is not sustainable there. i also feel that after this month the will be closer to fifth place as oppossed to second. pretty tough month ahead.

I agree with 15 games remaining and in second place its time to give credit where credit is due. They allow alot of shots, and the defense isn't all that consistent. The forwards aren't great at playing team defense. However, the goal tending has made up for this and that goaltending has primarily been Bernier. This isn't a knock against Riemer. This isn't ignorance of the weknesses, but the team makeup and play has a whole has kept this team in games and winning more games than they have not. How many of you at the begining of the year would have said no to leafs in third in the east with 15 games left even if they allow alot of shots and reimer is number 2.

When the goal tending is weak they get bombed like lastnight. When its strong they win and we are left wondering how. haha. I am very happy as a leafs fan right now.

I am also extremely happy I think the roller coaster of great games to terrible games is giving me heart problems lol. i remember thinking two years ago that we were cursed lol so im happy to be where we are, they really need to tighten up defensively for a playoff run though.

this is a very good point, i suppose im looking into the playoffs and feeling that this type of gameplay is not sustainable there. i also feel that after this month the will be closer to fifth place as oppossed to second. pretty tough month ahead.

Playoffs are going to be interesting. As a Leafs fan I'd like to see them make it consistently every year, getting past the first round for me is just a bonus. I hope Ranger keeps on playing like he is, Gleason stays healthy, maybe one more addition to the D core and they'll be pretty well rounded.

I agree the Leafs are moving in the right direction but... I think we've set the bar too low given their previous years performances. Plus the fact they play in the east which is weaker this year than the west. Last nights game was a good indicator of what degree of improvement needs to happen before we're a serious contender for a trip to the big party. I'm not trying to be a party pooper, I'm thrilled with this years results, but if we BEAT the Sharks last night 6-2 we'd all be looking at this year's playoffs a little differently.

Edited by grimsbylander

I'm ok with last nights performance, I know that's odd to say after a 6-2 loss but after a great game in Anaheim and then playing the sharks the night after I did not expect much. It'll be good to see how they play against LA and then use that guide to see how they stack up against the other top teams in the league.

What I'm concerned about is the leafs consistency to give up leads in the third period. I am worried that we may be set for another heartbreak in the playoffs if this trend continues.

Another tough one tonight, but I think that the Leafs can pull this one off if they're firing on all cylinders. They've had a day off and should be used to the time zone change by now. The first line has to pile up some points tonight and Bernier, playing against his old team mates, has to be solid. Looking forward to this one boys.