Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

I've seen Stoty here for some years and as far as Recall he's been a consistent wings fan---even though they stole R Cap'n :wallbash:

I was thrilled to see that signing. I was actually in Detroit at the time and everyone was talking about it.

Stats are great but most people use them too conveniently. For instance, the 48 year Leaf stat, the 23 year playoff Red Wing stat...all true. How about the Red Wings 41 year Stanley cup drought? Or the 11 Stanley Cup wins for both the Wings AND the Leafs since the 1927 absorption of the WHL?

The Leaf stats are what they are...and they're NOT good, but if you're going to look back in time, look at everything. Detroit's been a winning organization in your generation for sure.

Yes and no for me. I like watching the older games 60's through the 80's for nostalgia but the quality of players, from 1st line to 4th, is higher now. The water ski era mid/late 90's through early 00's was, and is, painful to watch.

Kids in junior hockey have puck skills that even the best nhl players from a short while ago just marvel at. Remember when most NHL teams had one big shooter? Now most junior players shoot like only a handful of pros could only 20-30 years ago. (Yes, the sticks play a role but there is more to it as well).

I also miss the days when goalies had to make saves. Now it's: move into position, drop to knees, shrug shoulders, repeat.

Off to the Colt's game...

Have to admit, the Leafs in the early 90's were one entertaining team to watch!

There were def some great series back then.

The Detroit/Toronto rivalry was insane.. I still hate Bettman for moving them to the west. Glad they are back!

Looks like yesterdays rumors may be true.

This was just posted on TSN's FB feed.

Maple Leafs to name Shanahan as new President.

Bob McKenzie is reporting - while a contract has not been finalized and signed, the Leafs and Shanahan are expected to reach a deal making him the President of the hockey club.

Well, it's official.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/brendan-shanahan-officially-hired-as-maple-leafs-president-1.2606707

The Toronto Maple Leafs on Friday morning officially announced the hiring of Brendan Shanahan as the team's president and alternate governor.

Shanahan, 45, will be introduced by the Maple Leafs at a press conference Monday at 11 a.m. ET.

Shanahan will oversee all operations for the Maple Leafs, from both the hockey and business perspectives.

He follows the likes of Steve Yzerman (Tampa Bay), CamNeely (Boston) and the recently hired Trevor Linden (Vancouver) as former NHL stars who've assumed positions of front-office authority despite a relative lack of business experience.

The Etobicoke, Ont., native played 1,524 NHL games with New Jersey, St. Louis, Hartford, Detroit and the New York Rangers, earning entry into the Hall of Fame last November with 656 goals and 698 assists in his regular-season career.

Shanahan won three Stanley Cups as a member of the Red Wings and a gold medal with Canada at the 2002 Olympics.

After retirement, he joined the NHL’s head office in December 2009 as vice president of hockey and business development, later moving to the position of chief disciplinarian for the league.

The Maple Leafs appeared to be headed for a second straight playoff berth for much of this season, but the team's weaknesses and depth issues came into focus during a prolonged late-season swoon that knocked them out of contention.

Toronto now could finish as low as 12th in the Eastern Conference.

Shanahan will be tasked with building a team that can win the franchise's first Stanley Cup since 1967, a goal that was elusive for the likes of Cliff Fletcher, Pat Quinn, Ken Dryden and Brian Burke during their tenures as president.

Shanahan's first major decisions with respect to the team will involve whether to retain general manager Dave Nonisand head coach Randy Carlyle.

Nonis was given a five-year contract extension last summer by Tim Leiweke, the president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Leafs.