Brookies, ATV's and Nature

Rod Caster

Hey Team,

I haven't been posting as many summer fishing reports this year due to acquiring a new house/property, but I still visit the site often; there's been some great posts and topics lately!

The learning curve is steep and things are getting done. My firewood is essentially complete and I've started many projects such as next year’s garden, recycling the various metals on the lot, maintaining a bear-feed station, organizing the shed (I might need a god to pray to for that project) and cutting trails to my river, which is at the back corner of my lot. That doesn’t include all the house stuff I’m getting done like seamless eavestroughs, new carpeting (preparing the floor) and sealing my basement door. In addition to the things that NEED to get done, there is a list half a mile long that is headlined by 'to do'. I'm also doing some kooky stuff like making Birch Bark Tar and collecting mushrooms. So far the #1 lesson I've learned, moving onto a large acreage, is to take things step by step and enjoy the 'wins'. There are so many things to be done and often things don't go to plan. I can easily spend a whole morning working on something (like fixing ATV's) only to spend double that time putting things away half-complete to meet other obligations.... its ok, I'll just pick up where I left off and keep gaining.

IMG-20130827-00653_zps6be4d3d9.jpg

Here are some photos of us making Birch Bark Tar. I plan on making a bunch of it and using it to stain the base of my garden fence-posts. The photos should be self-explanatory. I ‘cook’ the bark for about 2hrs.

IMG-20130819-00622_zps5d099ec9.jpg

IMG-20130819-00623_zps53a52b19.jpg

IMG-20130819-00624_zps60b3ce83.jpg

IMG-20130819-00626_zpsebd29df2.jpg

IMG-20130819-00627_zpsde915b6b.jpg

IMG-20130819-00628_zps9abd8cda.jpg

IMG-20130819-00631_zps389cdd10.jpg

IMG-20130819-00629_zpscf49fa74.jpg

Hard to see, but there are about 50ml of tar in the tea pot. System gets better each time I do it.

Yesterday was a good day. Me and a friend visited the newest trail and flattened out some the large divots. I'm working my way to the river, but the land drops nearly 50 meters in elevation over a length of about 150 meters. It's not easy work. The terrain is rough and wild...but I'm gaining on it. Eventually I want a hunt cabin near the 'falls', but I first need a trail to bring in materials. For exploration's sake, we walked to the River where we saw trout jumping. My instincts kicked in and we immediately changed plans and decided to hit up the river where it meets the road several kilometers down to try to catch tomorrow’s breakfast. On our walk back, I found some Oyster Mushrooms and gathered them for dinner, which my Wife then turned into a fantastic pre-fishing meal! The Oyster Mushrooms are white, the Chantrelles are orange.

IMG_00000031_zps9d17e68a.jpg

IMG_00000030_zpsff8591e5.jpg

We launched the canoe into the River, which is fairly wide and fast-flowing, but quite shallows in many spots with a very rocky/gravely bottom. Shallow riffles ended our passive journey upstream after about 500 meters, but we managed to find some good water within that span. I pulled out 9 speckies, averaging 7 or 8 inches in a couple hours and our canoe totaled 12 fish by the time we finished our journey. Biggest was approx 9-10 inches...as shown.

IMG_00000009_zps2000d81b.jpg

IMG_00000012_zps4824b041.jpg

IMG_00000011_zps3573e90d.jpg

IMG_00000016_zps4f96cf2e.jpg

IMG_00000014_zps569cdb83.jpg

After the fishing, we went for an ATV ride. Just love my property and its surroundings!

IMG_00000019_zpsaa0e9a07.jpg

IMG_00000023_zpsba92bfa7.jpg

Today should be just as good of a day. I’m meeting Dana for a belated fishing rendez-vous up north to a lake that has kicked our butts a couple times. Really looking forward to hanging with him; he’ll talk about his son and I’ll talk about my property, I’m sure. Hahaha.

Thanks for reading. Time for me to feed on speckled trout and farm fresh eggs and then ATV to the back nine with my chainsaw and shovel.

Oh God Chad That River will be teeming with nice fish come black fly season. I find its only the smaller fish that come around in the fall in Canadian Shield rivers. Third week of May till second week of June I can see some 16" + fish coming out of that river. YOUR PROPERTY think of that. Jealous brother

Thanks for the kind replies everyone :)

Brad, where would the big ones go during the summer/fall? The closest lakes are many kilometers away both upstream (much smaller lots of dams) and downstream (more natural dams). I was thinking I'd just have to work hard to them, or find the deep holes.

There are definitly a lot of small ones in there, I seen at least a dozen jumping out of the water hitting flies....oh, and there is lots of room on the bank for fly casting!

Thanks for the kind replies everyone :)

Brad, where would the big ones go during the summer/fall? The closest lakes are many kilometers away both upstream (much smaller lots of dams) and downstream (more natural dams). I was thinking I'd just have to work hard to them, or find the deep holes.

There are definitly a lot of small ones in there, I seen at least a dozen jumping out of the water hitting flies....oh, and there is lots of room on the bank for fly casting!

They get onto the seeps where springs are entering the river and then come fall they stay for the mating. I've been trying really hard for the MNR(Bug my Bio Friends) to do a radio telemetry study on Canadian Shield River Brook Trout and their seasonal movements but it strictly for selfish reasons and they know it.

Nice spot! I've never heard of birch tar before....interesting. Kinda like birch syrup, but a lot less harvested. What other uses does it have?

You have many maples up there? You should start getting ready for the sugar run this spring! Another fun way to pass time that time of year! You can also tap the birch trees.

S.