If we cant fish them,why are we

misfish

Luckily where I live were allowed to target them with a catch and release policy. Me and my buddy's fish for them from mid-late august right until the end of october and always do well (catching anywhere from 10-20 in a day). For people that want to kill them just for the meat SHAME ON YOU! These fish are the kings of freshwater fish and should be treated that way. It is a privilege to say you've caught one and have the opportunity to fight one. The least you can do is release it to let somebody else catch it someday.

Anyone that eats a fish that old should change their eating habits!

So, the MNR has a mandate to make sure native species continue to survive (I support this), however, they are not there to ensure that there are healthy fish populations for anglers to harvest, but yet the anglers are the ones that pay for this? Hmmm don't know if that makes sense, but it sounds like what I'm reading.

for the record, I don't mind tax dollars being spent on something like this, I think it's a step in the right direction even though we've already taken too many steps in the wrong direction

a sturgeon story-

French River, 15 years ago

I can still picture my buddy, in another boat, fishing walleye, in the evening, gets a bite, sets the hook, the fish stays deep and pulls, he goes "oh yeahhhh"

2 hours later, and almost a half km down river, we can't pull the fish enough to tire it, he tightens the drag and says "I don't know what else to do" and leans on the fish, the hook straightens out, we never saw the beast

I can remember being in a bay, a little after dark, French River, what I assume was a sturgeon jumping, sounded like a cow jumping off a cliff and hitting the water, scared the hell out of me

I have caught a few sturgeon trolling worm harnesses along the bottom in current with bottom bouncers !!!! Same as big channel cats Chris we get them trolling as well ....like mike says the Larry & Ottawa rivers have lots of big ones I have seen them jump and roll too !!!! Amazing to see !!!! Love to get one on camera jumping !!!

Ill go shoot a video this weekend of rainy river. In the evening hundreds of them are jumping, it's an awesome sight to see. We hear the splashes from our house every couple seconds. Lol just heard one as I am typing this

I would love to see that.