Three Days in May Fishing.

Moosebunk

Toss up for Wednesday and Thursday May 9th and 10th. Go for trout then go for pike, or vice versa. Weather decided my fate and so it was pike first.

North and East winds, little gusty at times the war canoe carved it’s way up river. Figured every shallow backwater bay or eddy would be worth a hit, and so with the sun trying it’s darndest to break free from the clouds, the 16km to the first spot the feeling grew ever more optimistic.

Tucked in behind Arrow Island and reached down to test the water. Warmer, not much it seemed. New weed growth totally absent still. I looked up into a tree ahead and looking down on me was a bald eagle. If he’s hanging around I figured chances could be good.

mayfish-02.jpg

I was wrong. Nothing. Little creek coming in at the end of the bay, years passed I’ve always found minnows in the shoreline shallows near to it, this trip only tonnes of insect larvae.

Pressed on. Hit Neskoshiyashi, Makishibayou, Nipiminanak, and Waterlily back bays. Usually one or the other is a hotspot, all with incoming creeks, shallow shorelines, less stain, and a quickness to warm in the spring. Nothing found but again tonnes of insects and no new weeds. Newer weeds being key I think to signaling prime water temps for that short stage of aggressive feeding pike. The favorite bay, Nesko, which had coughed up a dozen bigger pike last spring had a new resident. A beaver had sealed off the creek. No warm runoff, means no baitfish or sucker to spawn, probably means little pike.

I was at a loss. Back in Moosonee some of the locals had been snaring pike on route to a specific spawning area, maybe they were around but just busy with other things. Desperation I switched gears and decided to head to a couple predominantly walleye spots but, places that have coughed up pike to me in the past.

On route up the Cheepas River I realized I didn’t bring any extra gas. I was close to where I wanted to be so kept going and finally reached the big shallow eddy I was headed to. It’s a pikey spot sure enough, not as calm as could be but the smaller Cheepas is quicker to heat up.

mayfish-03.jpg

I probed the site with the usual Red Devle and came up empty handed. After swtiching to a gold Mepps Aglia #5; one on my top spring pike lures past, I felt a good thud on second cast.

I thought I had a log. My boat anchored in the current working casts into shore this smart fish made a b-line for the current and, once in there was heavy. I prayed the hook would hold. The fish first showed itself well behind the boat and I saw a lot of flash, like silvery white, and just then I thought I had a BIG spring speckle. But the fight died in the fish and when it surfaced again mouth gaping wide open I had on the line a big OOS walleye. Took some time to drag it up the current to the boat, even with 20lb braid, but when I got it there things were setup ready to go so the pic was taken, the fish quickly put to the scale and I just measure it to the cedar strip marks on the gunnel. Came in around 24 inches and just a hair over 5lbs.

mayfish-01.jpg

Decided to stay and try some more but nothing else was caught there. Fearing my gas was maybe too low to get me home the canoe turned around and I fished another half dozen or so spots on the way home, picking up one more small eye and a small pike, finally. When I made it to the launch the tank had about 1/4 gallon of gas left. Quite impressed with the new Honda 4 stroke at home I measured my route and all my stops on the Fugawi software and came up with a total of 84 km’s, on 4.5 gallons. Not bad considering it was all upriver the first half and all against a good gusty wind home.

Thursday trouting on the creeks in Moosonee was... weird. I’m still dressing like it’s winter but the temps today rose to 31C. I snuck away at 9:00am, grabbed a taxi boat to the mainland then borrowed my friend Megan’s car. Zipping around I was confident again that today would be a good day.

First stop Butler Creek. “The Dam”

mayfish-07.jpg

Jiggin first a brown bucktail tipped with a salty, then casting a homemade inline#3 followed by a small five of diamonds tipped with minnows as well, it was quick to be noted there weren’t any searuns about. So I took off.

Next stop, Maidman’s Creek. “The Culvert”

mayfish-06.jpg

Same tactics, no results. One thing about searuns I find is, if they’re there in the pockets they’re there to feed. You don’t miss them, as it takes little time to cover the area.

Next stop Maidman’s Creek. “The Quarry”

The Creek pours into the quarry real quick. You can see in this pic the water comes around a bend and hugs one side. Way up the creek, many miles, are ponds that pike go to for spawning. The locals have set up here at this corner a series of four ledges, made by rocks, to create pockets for the travelling pike to naturally want to stop in, or, use to climb through, instead of battling the big current. This is where those pike get snared and taken home for the dinner table.

mayfish-05.jpg

The other end of the quarry can be pretty deep by standards around here. There’s a hole about 18 feet, but much of it is around 4-8 feet. Not much of a trout area I figured while here I’d cast for pike. Best day here in the float tube was 12 pike a few years back, and although one of locals I know who regularly snares here said pike sizes are getting smaller and smaller (go figure) he does tell me a 25lb pike was caught on line here. But no one owns a scale in these parts that I’ve met, so it could have been a 12lb’er

mayfish-04.jpg

Next stop was the beer store. It was 10:30 and I knew it was open and needed some for the hockey game that night.

Rolled over to Store Creek. “The Train Bridge”

Three doods already fishing there, I asked if they’d caught anything. Nada.

Last stop was back over on Butler’s Creek. “The Treatment Plant”

mayfish-08.jpg

I took some casts but again got nothing. I watched the helicopters go by with full slings of food and supplies for Moose Factory. Thursday is a good day at the store cause the fresh produce comes in. Airborne bananas and oranges and everything else had a great warm day for flying. Could have been 0C today and the produce not so good upon arrival. Barge should be in soon so then it’ll be good stuff all the time. Note the chopper flying by in the pic.

So, trouting sucked. For a one fish report this one is really long. Fingers are flying tonight. Local in the know told me last spring when I was struggling to catch trout in the first weeks of May, that, until the trees (poplars and alders) are sprouting leaves from the buds, the searuns won’t be in. Wishful thinking.

Today was my last day out before what I’ll be calling the "opener" come this weekend. Today sucked. Today was cold at about +4C with strong NNE winds. While up on the French river about 11:00 am a little snow came through. Underdressed I had the chills much of the day but had to get 20 gallons of gas stashed away somewhere in the bush near to wherever I was planning to camp this weekend. By about 2:00pm I finally found that spot.

On the way home I tried a couple pike spots but wasn’t much into it. The winds were bad, I was tired of battling it and the chop. I did manage two very small pike and a real small eye that hit an orange Syclops.

And so it ends. Before opener last year I had already picked up one searun and 17 pike with a skinny 38" being the best. Hope things pick up this weekend. Should be busy out there with a derby on for the Saturday. Win or lose, I’ll never know. Won’t be anywhere near town until Monday.