nanticoke walleye

steelhead75

hey there all, first time post here. i am looking for some help on walleye fishing on lake erie

. i have got lots of lake ontario experince and new to erie trolling .

i got a handle on the location offf the nanticoke schoal and mark a tonne of fish, im just having trouble dialing it in

my first problem i belive is my boat speed which i can only get down to 2.4 mph. im going to try samoe shopping bags over the side until such time i can get the boat out of the water and put a kicker plate on.

i have been trolling at various depths from top to bottom , using spoons , stick baits and worm harnesses. havent had much luck! sure its my speed and not my lure selection as i have ran the gammit of colors sizes and presentations from tight to the ball to 100 feet back.

im presently away working in mexico and am looking for fall tactics as i wont be back until mid september.

wopuld greatly apprciate anything you have to offer frustrated and demoralized. lol as i have lots of sucess on ontario and walleye is a whole new game now.

thanks in advance

cheers

rocky

As stated, trolling speed is key, even with the stickbaits and spoons I find no more that 1.8-1.9 for hard baits and 1.0 for worm harnesses. Larger blades in purples, greens are first to go down on my boat.

Most productive rods are dipseys on #2-3 setting and snap weights off the boards. If I do run a line directly behind the boat it's always leadcore. I never run riggers out their as they just have never really produced for the walleye on the western end. I will run the more east when there are more bows around

My motor has a similar idle speed to yours and a drift sock can put me around .9 - 1.3 mph. I only tried it once so far, but I do find boat control is much more difficult with the drift sock out and hooked onto the bow (even with a tiller). Not sure if I had too much rope out on the drift sock (10') or if the 2' chop was moving the drift sock off alignment with the bow. Maybe somebody with some more experience in doing this will chime in. Drift sock ain't bad to have in your arsenal anyways for those rough days when you want to drift. They start at 35$ish for the smaller ones and increase in price for the bigger ones.

Until you can get the kicker installed I think your best bet will be to fish windy days (walleye chop) . It won't take much wind to get you moving. Position your boat upwind of where you want to fish and drop a bottom bouncer with a 3'-4' lead with a floating worm harness attached, That setup will do as much damage as any other at any time of the year for walleye.

There are very few reports of Walleye out of Nanticoke for a few weeks. They were out at the elbow of Long Point Bay but they seem to have moved west to PT. Bruce.<br /><br />As for trolling speeds they want 2.5 to 3.0 out there now. So like everything else in fishing nothing is standard.<br /><br />Lake conditions have been OK for a few days but only early mornings. It's kicking up right now.

My motor has a similar idle speed to yours and a drift sock can put me around .9 - 1.3 mph. I only tried it once so far, but I do find boat control is much more difficult with the drift sock out and hooked onto the bow (even with a tiller). Not sure if I had too much rope out on the drift sock (10') or if the 2' chop was moving the drift sock off alignment with the bow. Maybe somebody with some more experience in doing this will chime in. Drift sock ain't bad to have in your arsenal anyways for those rough days when you want to drift. They start at 35$ish for the smaller ones and increase in price for the bigger ones.

If you only use 1 drift sock, it will pull your boat all over the place. one on each side i find actually helps with boat control in the wind. you dont need a long rope on them, as long as they are submerged. for even more boat control, try back-trolling. this is what i do, back troll with 2 socks. this is with a 90 yamaha. gets me down to 0.9mph trolling harnesses.

thanks for all the replies guys and the warm welcome to the board,

i guess i pretty much answered a lot of my questions and was on the right track, now i just need some patince i guess. the drift idea had crossed my mind and with a 150 V6 . definetly a cheaper option. will give that a try on a fw days when i get back to canada. dam i miss my other girlfreind as the wife calls her.

if any of you are planning or thinking about saltwater flats fishing, dont hesitate to msg me as i have fished all over the world , as my job is lucky enough to provide me the opputunity for that in many locations?

actually i think i wi;l work on a post of different places i have fished and the guides and rates as well as some other tips. on the places i have been

chers and thanks again