If there is one Haliburton bass lake I'd like to fish, this is first on my list, we make a run at it, report

chris.brock

Me and my wife set out, with a canoe and camping gear, with hopes of getting to "The Secret Lake"

100_2587_zpse1406642.jpg

The plan was to get close, set up a base camp, leaving most of our heavy camping gear behind, then make the final push to "The Secret Lake"

Base Camp

100_2615_zps9e4a26d1.jpg

We didn't make it, our energy was zapped from the trip in, when we set out for the "Secret Lake", the sight of the first giant log jam made us turn back.

The trip in wiped us out, there was too much of this

100_2620_zps36f80032.jpg

and too many of these

100_2626_zpse72d37f9.jpg

too much of this

100_2625_zpscdf0af8d.jpg

and too many blow downs from the July 19th storm like this

100_2590_zps04eb91a1.jpg

We still had a good trip, caught some fish and enjoyed it all.

We borrowed a couple lawn chairs from this vacant fly-in camp near our base camp. We returned them the next day

100_2597_zpsa4081c42.jpg

Some rewards for our efforts

100_2599_zpsb343af78.jpg

All fish released

100_2606_zps28ccd9ea.jpg

I guess the "Secret Lake" will remain a secret, at least for now.

100_2609_zps2fbc7c1f.jpg

Edited by chris.brock

You weren't trying to get into McLaren's were you? Great little bass hole, but all the land surrounding is owned by one family, but not the lake. They used to get quite destructive with trespassers decades back if you came in through the marsh.

Looks like a great trip for an adventure. Sorry the lake was not better as a fishing destination. Now post the GPS cord. so no one else makes the same "mistake" lol.

Art

the report came across as a failure but it wasn't, we had a blast and the last fish pic is over 4 lbs, the bite seemed off but we still had decent fishing and 2 over 3 lbs

the GPS cord is "if you've got a float plane, PM me" Hahaha

Ya summer trips like that can be tough. Extra growth, lower water and higher weeds. Maybe put that in the spring time trip list pile. Still, it's hard to beat fresh air and some fish. :canadian:

I can tell you've done stuff like that, good advice for sure

You weren't trying to get into McLaren's were you? Great little bass hole, but all the land surrounding is owned by one family, but not the lake. They used to get quite destructive with trespassers decades back if you came in through the marsh.

no, never heard of McLaren's, feel free to PM me the location though, it sounds interesting

Quite the adventure! Makes you wonder about flying in some times, although your trek was obviously not an easy one.

That outpost looks like it's had some recent repairs. I guess they are still in operation?

yep, still in operation, check your PMs, but if you're interested, I could give you some thoughts about that