Stocking lake Simcoe with Landlock Salmon ?

misfish

Best reply yet.

x 2.

I just looked to find Native fish in Simcoe and came up with nothing but perch?

I find that hard to believe seeing as it was at one time an amazing place to fish many/many years past. That stocking is the only way to prevent depletion.????

That puts me on to another topic you all don't want to hear.

Simcoe has become nothing but a stocked lake and there is nothing we can do about it falling short of banning any economic growth?(pollution)

Not to mention people that have complete disregard for rules or conservation.

Example.

Last long weekend I as well as my kids witnessed persons not from Canada keeping everything including bass 6 inches as well as sunfish/perch and rock bass and they thought they hit the Mother load?

Meanwhile our kids are out there catching 2-4 pound bass and thinking nothing of putting them back.???

This is a back lake 4 hours away for us and 14 away for the people Im discusted at.

Rant is done for now.

Don.

x 2.

I just looked to find Native fish in Simcoe and came up with nothing but perch?

I find that hard to believe seeing as it was at one time an amazing place to fish many/many years past. That stocking is the only way to prevent depletion.????

That puts me on to another topic you all don't want to hear.

Simcoe has become nothing but a stocked lake and there is nothing we can do about it falling short of banning any economic growth?(pollution)

Rant is done for now.

Don.

they have cut back on stocking on simcoe because lots for natural reproduction of lake trout and whitiefish

herring are coming back

bass fishery on simcoe is amazing

and lots of, well not lots but many people are getting walleye too

and remember

More people fish Lake Simcoe then all the lakes in Manitoba

Edited by Terry

The rainbows would have been introduced as well.

Ya rainbows are native to Pacific.

Musky are native and once dominated the lake. They should do well.

Walleye are native, there are some huge ones, but are never targeted.

They should stock them.

Yes Terry it is bouncing back.

And its about time.

My point is let it bounce back.

I just don't feel that introducing new fish is the way to go.

The smelt are coming back and the herring can be a pain in the but at times but its bait for the big girls we want to catch?

My point is that most of the fish we catch are stocked bass included.

In my little place in this world I would like to hit Simcoe and have the choice of fishing lakers/whiteys/pike/perch or smelt.

Like when I was a kid and my Dad took me out fishing.(pipe dream)

Don.

They have been doing that its not working so good??

The only fish they stock are about 150,000 lake trout and 100,000 whitefish a year.

Now some musky are stocked which were over fished about 60- 100 yrs ago.

Even a couple of decades ago heard about the odd one caught.

My PB walleye/ pickerel at 16 lbs. came from Simcoe about 15 yrs. ago.

Never stocked.

for years my biggest walleye was 13.5 caught on simcoe from shore, same day a guy walked by with a 15 and an 18 lb walleye

I have caught about 20 walleye between 8 and 13.5 lbs on simcoe half in beaverton and the rest in cooks bay

and when I was a kid we caught a few muskie every year , simcoe

About 27 years ago when I was in grade 9 I remember reading an old book on Simcoe. At one time in the lakes life there were salmon in it. I think they were stocked Atlantics way back. I might be wrong and they may have been pacific salmon. Either way, it has already been tried. I looked at that little book about a thousand times throughout my high school days. I also remember seeing a pic in that book of a burbot that was caught in Simcoe and they slit the belly open to reveal something like 20 perch inside.

I think Simcoe is to small a lake to stock Salmon and could eliminate the Herring. Just getting the Herring back has been a chore. They are great table fare for those who like eating fish, one of the best. Stock more Walleye and Whitefish would be a more natural fish for the lake.

Now if we could get a catch limit for Herring would be great or a Herring stocking program.

Edited by Fish Farmer