Perch recipes any one?

tender52

Me and the young'uns got on a school of some jumbos today and brought some home. I saw a pancake mix batter and was wondering if its any good? And looking for some different ideas also would be appreciated. Think im going to try the pancake one anyway. (really how bad can it be)

Thanks

Personally with the size of Fillet your are going to get off those perch, I'd go for a dry batter rather than wet.... I like to eat and taste the fish, not the batter. For fish with thicker cuts of meat such as pickeral, pike, perhaps bass ect... a wet batter works best imo.

For the perch I would recommend a dry batter like unckle bucks, fish crisp, or a whole slew of homemade dry batter recipies that work well with perch fillets.

how about the sauce?

2tsp mayo

2tps sour cream

2tbs natural yogurt

1/2 tbs horseradish

1/2 pickle diced

1/2 onion diced

1tbs capers chopped up

and a good pinch of dill.

and don't add lemon to the sauce I'll make it all runny

Edited by krixxer

Thanks everyone. I asked the girls what they thought of my idea..... it got shut down. so after showing them all your valuable info. Tomorrow were doing the salt/pepper/flower with kirxxer sause

how about the sauce?

2tsp mayo

2tps sour cream

2tbs natural yogurt

1/2 tbs horseradish

1/2 pickle diced

1/2 onion diced

1tbs capers chopped up

and a good pinch of dill.

and don't add lemon to the sauce I'll make it all runny

Batter is always wet, some are calling it a batter using dry. Dry is a fish coating, bread crumbs, chips, fish crisp and all.

I tell you, some of the perch we get in Erie are like a Smallmouth Bass.

Brodie flour is good for a batter, but make it thin using 1/2 milk and water.

As for a coating, flour then egg wash then into Panko, been doing that this year and the guys love it, comes out like chinese Torpedo shrimp coating, crispy. So many ways to cook Perch. Nothing better than Perch and eggs for Breakfast, I don't put anything on the Perch no flour except a little salt& pepper, fry in butter, dip in the yolk with toast and a little HP. MMMMMM Good.

Here's the recipe I always use when I batter perch. It makes enough for over a pound and a half of fish so I usually cut it in half. Can't beat it

1 c flour

2 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp garlic powder

2 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper

1 egg

bottle of beer

Mix dry ingredients and then stir in the egg.

Add enough beer to make a runny batter.

Dust fillets in a mix of flour and a touch of salt and pepper.

Dip individually into batter running fish on the edge to remove excess batter.

Lower in HOT oil while swirling slowly to prevent sticking to the fryer rack.

Cook for 3-4 minutes and drain on racks.

Edited by ch312

Lot of good recipes so far. Only one poster got the most important thing RIGHT. Always dip your fish in flour or the dry mix before you put them in egg. That is so the egg will stick to the fish evenly... You will be amazed at the difference if you don't already do this.

Here is how I do mine for what it is worth.

1 cup brown rice flour

1 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup corn meal

2 tbsps Lemon Pepper

1 tbsp Garlic Powder

2 tbsp Lawry's Seasoning salt (Like Porche there is no substitute)

1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (less if you don't like heat)

Mix all of the above in zip lock bag.

Beat 3 eggs with 3 tbsp cold water.

Pulverize 3 sleeves of soda crackers with some Lawrys in a food processor,

the finer the better.

About half of the first mixture will do 2lbs of perch fillets, so set half aside it keeps for months in a sealed bag.

Put perch in the first mixture in a ziplock bag and shake until coated. Pull perch out shaking off excess mixture.

Then dip in the eggs

Put the soda crackers in a pie plate. Then press the perch into cracker mix firmly and coat thoroughly.

This is important don't skip placing the fillets on wax paper and refrigerate to SET the coating for 20

minutes or up to 8hrs.

If you make sure they aren't touching you can even freeze them then put them in a ziplock for up to a

couple of months. (I always bread mine now then freeze this way so I don't have thaw and coat later)

Fresh or Frozen just heat up about 3/4" of oil in a pan and cook until done. If you using a deep fryer

and cooking from frozen set the temp about 325F so they will cook through before getting too dark.

I always serve them with dollar chips and maple baked beans.

If a miracle happens and you have some left over then have the fillets cold in a sandwich the next day

with lettuce, swiss, tomato and honey mustard.

BTW if you are feeding a gluten free crowd just dip the perch back into the first mixture and don't use

soda crackers. I have 3 family members who need them done this way and it always a hit with them.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Batter is always wet, some are calling it a batter using dry. Dry is a fish coating, bread crumbs, chips, fish crisp and all.

I tell you, some of the perch we get in Erie are like a Smallmouth Bass.

Brodie flour is good for a batter, but make it thin using 1/2 milk and water.

As for a coating, flour then egg wash then into Panko, been doing that this year and the guys love it, comes out like chinese Torpedo shrimp coating, crispy. So many ways to cook Perch. Nothing better than Perch and eggs for Breakfast, I don't put anything on the Perch no flour except a little salt& pepper, fry in butter, dip in the yolk with toast and a little HP. MMMMMM Good.

Fish Farmer simple is usually the best when it comes to cooking, as Canuck said always dredge in flour before the egg as you do as well as myself. Always,dry then wet then dry mixtures. The beauty of Japanese Panko, which is bread crumbs that are double baked, is even when cold crispy. Many restaurants cheat and precook with Panko and will reheat in microwave, especially shrimp.

Canuck2Fan wrote,

1 cup brown rice flour

1 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup corn meal

2 tbsps Lemon Pepper

1 tbsp Garlic Powder

Have never tried the rice flour, I believe simple works best for perch as it is such a delicate fish and I believe can't handle complex preparation, my opinion only', but I need to try it. The spice medley you list above is basically Montréal Steak Spice, excellent.

I do, however would not shake in a bag anything as delicate as the fine strands of protein perch consists of and can't handle the violence of shaking in a bag, especially those smaller then 8". Also the coating is more apt to not be evenly distributed and would likely create what is referred to as bread balls amongst the exterior coating.

Very interesting recipes, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Lot of good recipes so far. Only one poster got the most important thing RIGHT. Always dip your fish in flour or the dry mix before you put them in egg. That is so the egg will stick to the fish evenly... You will be amazed at the difference if you don't already do this.

Here is how I do mine for what it is worth.

1 cup brown rice flour

1 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup corn meal

2 tbsps Lemon Pepper

1 tbsp Garlic Powder

Mix all of the above in zip lock bag.

Beat 3 eggs with 3 tbsp cold water.

Pulverize 3 sleeves of soda crackers with some Lawrys in a food processor,

the finer the better.

About half of the first mixture will do 2lbs of perch fillets, so set half aside it keeps for months in a sealed bag.

Put perch in the first mixture in a ziplock bag and shake until coated. Pull perch out shaking off excess mixture.

Then dip in the eggs

Put the soda crackers in a pie plate. Then press the perch into cracker mix firmly and coat thoroughly.

This is important don't skip placing the fillets on wax paper and refrigerate to SET the coating for 20

minutes or up to 8hrs.

If you make sure they aren't touching you can even freeze them then put them in a ziplock for up to a

couple of months. (I always bread mine now then freeze this way so I don't have thaw and coat later)

Fresh or Frozen just heat up about 3/4" of oil in a pan and cook until done. If you using a deep fryer

and cooking from frozen set the temp about 325F so they will cook through before getting too dark.

I always serve them with dollar chips and maple baked beans.

If a miracle happens and you have some left over then have the fillets cold in a sandwich the next day

with lettuce, swiss, tomato and honey mustard.

BTW if you are feeding a gluten free crowd just dip the perch back into the first mixture and don't use

soda crackers. I have 3 family members who need them done this way and it always a hit with them.

I'm going to try that recipe, sounds different.

Not having rice flour, would regular flour work?

I'm going to try that recipe, sounds different.

Not having rice flour, would regular flour work?

I don't see why regular flour wouldn't work? I used rice flour mainly because it is lighter (doesn't mask the flavor of the perch as much as wheat flour) and would make a gluten free product. I have a lot of family members and friends who are allergic to flour or gluten. Also it had to be able to coated a few hours in advance and cook quickly. When we have a family reunion/fish fry. Using two butane burners and two 12" fry pans I need to able to cook 5lbs of fish (before breading) in 20 minutes or so, with no warming oven.

The same procedure also works great on chicken breast, and pork schnitzel/chops as long as you keep the pieces thin and start with a lower temp oil. For bigger pieces you can brown them totally in a pan then transfer them to a pie tin or cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven until they are fully cooked.

I do, however would not shake in a bag anything as delicate as the fine strands of protein perch consists of and can't handle the violence of shaking in a bag, especially those smaller then 8". Also the coating is more apt to not be evenly distributed and would likely create what is referred to as bread balls amongst the exterior coating.

Very interesting recipes, thanks for sharing.

LOL good point about not shaking too roughly... I shake more like I am handling nitro, than when throttling the idiot who stepped on my favourite trout rod and broke it for example. Surprisingly you won't get any bread balls with this mixture using it as the first coat it is much too fine and doesn't clump like wheat flour will.

This is awesome, Thanks all. I just wanted to do something a little different. I wasnt expecting this much of a responce. But thanks to you all i got recipies Im gonna try and share.

Speaking of shareing..... Try the club house, roasted chili and Tamarind seasoning on some salmon steaks. ooooohhhh good on the Q

LOL good point about not shaking too roughly... I shake more like I am handling nitro, than when throttling the idiot who stepped on my favourite trout rod and broke it for example. Surprisingly you won't get any bread balls with this mixture using it as the first coat it is much too fine and doesn't clump like wheat flour will.

Excellent, I'm cooking up some of those big Erie Walleye this afternoon for the crew after we get back from an outing today out of Nanticoke and bought some rice flour yesterday at Fortino's. I'm guaranteed to have fish after our trip today because they are from Wednesday.

I do shake everything else like chicken and cutters in a zip lock bag. I like the nitro analogy, I now use a zip lock bag since I deep fried a grocery receipt once or twice!!!!

Excellent, I'm cooking up some of those big Erie Walleye this afternoon for the crew after we get back from an outing today out of Nanticoke and bought some rice flour yesterday at Fortino's. I'm guaranteed to have fish after our trip today because they are from Wednesday.

I do shake everything else like chicken and cutters in a zip lock bag. I like the nitro analogy, I now use a zip lock bag since I deep fried a grocery receipt once or twice!!!!

Yeah you have to look through the bag first LOL On a similar note the one thing I miss most about paper grocery bags is I used to do hand cut fries then put them in a paper sack with Lawrys and Parmesan cheese, and shake them up. It is better for the waist line though because now I can only find the small paper lunch bags so I have do smaller batches of fries. The strange thing is if you don't use a paper bag it doesn't work nearly as well, I think because most of the excess oil winds up on the bag. When I have tried doing it in bowl everyone says it just isn't the same...

Yeah you have to look through the bag first LOL On a similar note the one thing I miss most about paper grocery bags is I used to do hand cut fries then put them in a paper sack with Lawrys and Parmesan cheese, and shake them up. It is better for the waist line though because now I can only find the small paper lunch bags so I have do smaller batches of fries. The strange thing is if you don't use a paper bag it doesn't work nearly as well, I think because most of the excess oil winds up on the bag. When I have tried doing it in bowl everyone says it just isn't the same...

Just hit the liquor store for paperbags