2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4 Diesel

Steve

Hello,

I've owned a 2003 Yukon SLT for the last 7 years .... and I'm thinking its time for an upgrade.

Anyone know anything about the Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel's?

I must admit, I don't know much about the Jeep line of trucks ... and I've never owned a diesel before.

Gas mileage is gas mileage...it has never been much of a concern for me.

I'm thinking more along the lines of reliability, Quinte in December, rough northern ramps (that can't even be called ramps, lol).

My Yukon never let me down .... handled everything I could throw at her.

Oh, I tow a boat package that weighs about 1,800 lbs.

can't comment on the diesel motor

i wouldn't worry too much about getting stuck at a crappy ramp though. it's a jeep. the overland is the top of the line with a pretty nifty 4wd system that's not quite a true locker but waaaay better than an lsd or an open differential. it will automatically lock left/right side if it detects slip at either side. even if you have one wheel in the air, it will get you out of trouble whereas an open diff will just spin the wheel in the air. 4lo locks front to back and the full time mode transfers power to the front if the rears slip. you are not getting stuck in it unless you do something foolish. it'll handle offroad much better than your yukon if you have a half decent set of tires on it.

i own an older GC limited with a v8. i believe the tow rating is 5000lbs. the diesel should be similar. i've towed ~2500lb package with no issues with mine, and towing my boat which is under 1000 -- you don't even notice it's there.

Edited by Raf

Great truck, great motor! But be advised that your service will cost a fortune for the diesel benz. Even more so through chrysler then mercedes. Chrysler has to pay mercedes for parts then markup for profit. I have a friend who greatly regreted his diesel benz/chrysler due to maintenance costs. I own a diesel so i know the costs associated with the maintenance, but mercedes is known to be a major rip-off when it comes to service and parts. With that said, my friend still goes to mercedes for parts for his chrysler vehicle to save money... Crazy! Personally i would much rather spend the $ on a Vw/audi. Or even add few extra bucks for a benz. Quality of dodge vehicles doesnt justify the price in my opinion. Very similar to dodge sprint vans that had mercedes diesel motors, fell apart in no time opposed to mercedes versions that still drive around in mint condition 12years later.

If you go to the dealer for parts, you deserve to get bent over, lol. Absolutely no need to . So many vendors out there that can get you the parts for a fraction of the cost.

Also, the Sprinter vans were always Mercedes, there's no Dodge in them at all (Unless you count the badging)

In order to keep your warranty all replacement parts must be genuine parts. Aftermarket parts are much cheaper, most genuine parts especially mercedes parts can only be ordered from mercedes. Not to mention aftermarket parts are garbage Chinese parts for the most part that dont last half as long. As for the sprinter follow the link...http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

i sold my regular/nongrand cherokee with the straight 6 4.0L at 400,000kms motor/trans/xfer case were all still strong (and original). a kid bought it and wheeled it hard for a year after that - it's likely still running if he didn't roll it lol. it's shame they don't make that motor anymore but the newer engines are lighter and more efficient.

In order to keep your warranty all replacement parts must be genuine parts. Aftermarket parts are much cheaper, most genuine parts especially mercedes parts can only be ordered from mercedes. Not to mention aftermarket parts are garbage Chinese parts for the most part that dont last half as long. As for the sprinter follow the link...http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

Where do people come up with this? As long as you're using a OE equivalent, your warranty is just fine. You actually think Mercedes makes ALL their own parts? There are all kinds of OE vendors out there that produce 'Mercedes' parts... Mahle, Mann, Bosch, Litens, Hepu... the list keeps going and going. Same thing with VW/Audi and all the imports for that matter.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Edited by BillM

Is that something the dealer told you or something that you heard elsewhere? Because in the end, its the dealer that decides whether they will honour the warrantee or not based on your servicing. And im spreading what i heard from my dealership and what my best friends first hand experiance was with his dealer. Not to mention that most ppl have no clue what parts they are getting when shopping aftermarket suppliers.

Edited by Angler management

Is that something the dealer told you or something that you heard elsewhere? Because in the end, its the dealer that decides whether they will honour the warrantee or not based on your servicing. And im spreading what i heard from my dealership and what my best friends first hand experiance was with his dealer. Not to mention that most ppl have no clue what parts they are getting when shopping aftermarket suppliers.

Who do you know that's been denied warranty work because they bought a part for their car at a place OTHER than the dealer?

I've had warranty work completed on cars I've otherwise done all the maintenance myself on (This includes TB jobs, clutches, whatever).... Sounds like you and your best friend is getting the gears from the dealer (I'm not surprised at all by this)

Engine is sourced from Mercedes (Unlike the VM Motori engine in the Liberty)... It's pretty much bulletproof. Can't go wrong, great choice.

I was at a boatramp yesterday and a fella launched a big bassboat with a 250HP motor and tandem trailer with a Liberty and must admit I was surprised to see such a small vehicle pulling that big heavy combo. No idea how well it would stop with that boat pushing him from behind though.

Edited by lew

I have owned three Jeeps and looking for another- bullet-proof engines although older trannies were not the best, my son owned a 98 5.9 that he beat on hard- awesome! My father has had three and currently has a 2012 Limited with the new V6- loves it. My 2007 Overland was just written off last Thursday. not my fault but now I need to find another- hesitant about the diesels however as out of my comfort zone- loved the 5.7 Hemi!!!

Vehicle is a 2008, and vehicle warranty will be over, i have owned 2 grand cherokees both limiteds, on with an inline 4/0 litre 6 cyl, and this one with a hemi, both have been extremely reliable vehicles, the inline was a stump puller, and still runs flauless today with over 350,000 kms, the hemi is also a great vehicle, and gives me very decent mileage, better then the ratings for that vehicle, the 3/0 litre Benz deisel should be a great motor, and reliable as well

Personally had several jeeps and they always needed work in some manner, and a couple buddies that had cherokee's and both had problems before the trucks hit 100k's..... Also in my experience with Chrysler service centers - what a rip-off. And remember with jeeps and Chrysler in general, when something goes, might as well replace EVERYTHING!!! Lol

Good luck with the search but personally I'd stay far, far away, especially since it has an Mercedes engine.

Good luck with the search but personally I'd stay far, far away, especially since it has an Mercedes engine.

Mercedes makes arguably one of the best passenger diesel engines on the market today. What's wrong with the 3.0 CRD that you'd recommend someone not purchasing one?

Personally had several jeeps and they always needed work in some manner, and a couple buddies that had cherokee's and both had problems before the trucks hit 100k's..... Also in my experience with Chrysler service centers - what a rip-off. And remember with jeeps and Chrysler in general, when something goes, might as well replace EVERYTHING!!! Lol

Some people can drive and not break things, others wish they could.

We used to do alot of snowmobiling back in the 80's/early 90's and I bought a 4.0 Cherokee to haul the trailer into the backwoods and it was excellent in the snow. I drove it for about 5 years and never had a single issue with it.

My buds got a Grand Cherokee with around 400K on it and it still works well.