PEI fishing?

singingdog

I didn't have a chance to do much exploring on our trip because I was only there for a few days.

I did get out on a charter for mackerel and cod and had a blast, can't even count the number of mackerel I caught and did manage to land three cod (1) was a keeper. (I only found out after that if you ask the crew there is a good chance they can fix you up with some smoked mackerel if you want it.

Crew cleaned all the fish for us, I'd go back again, cost was $45.00/person for about 3 hours. We also went digging clams on the beach and again had a wonderful time and ate fresh steamed clams until we were so stuffed we couldn't eat anymore. We did see lots of very promissing streams but we only had three days on the island and friends to visit.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I bet if you just ask a few of the locals they would be happy to point you in the right direction. Where are you going on the island?

I was there 2 years ago, I bought a license there only to find out that a lot of the good rivers for trout were closed due to a huge die off from run off from the potato fields. They said the rivers would be closed indefinitely. I would do the charter route and also if you are going in the next couple of weeks, its lobster season so seafood will be the best way to go. All the muscles, clams and lobster is amazing there. Man makes me want to go back there right now. Make sure you do the New Glasgow supper when your there, AMAZING!

Rob C

Any other opportunities that don't involve chartering a boat?

Short answer - no, not much. It is primarily a salt-water fishery, mainly for bottom fish. You can try casting spoons and jigs off piers, but don't expect great things.

Trout fishing can be good if you know someone who can help you gain access through the private property signs.

Short answer - no, not much. It is primarily a salt-water fishery, mainly for bottom fish. You can try casting spoons and jigs off piers, but don't expect great things.

Trout fishing can be good if you know someone who can help you gain access through the private property signs.

The Bonshaw River is a provincial park and access is easy. Right off 17.

This was it though size wise although local told me bigger fish do come in from the ocean

PEIBR.jpg

If you are thinking of buying any seafood down there re-think that one. I went down with a huge cooler thinking I would load up on fresh seafood and bring it back. Forget it! I can buy fresh lobster here for about half of what it costs down there. Unless you are going out and catching it on your own and cooking it up yourself it isn't going to save you any money.

If you do manage to get it right off the boat, most of the time you'll be getting seconds because they need to keep the good stuff for their buyers. Best price I heard (right off the boat was $5.00 a lb. I can buy them in Sobeys on special for $4.99/lb) (I do have a 150 qt marine cooler for sale for a good price if you do want one though LOL). Even PEI potatoes were more expensive there than I can buy them right here in Lindsay.

Now if you do have someone down there that can take you digging clams and show you how to cook and clean them, that is a treat you'll never forget.

If you are thinking of buying any seafood down there re-think that one. I went down with a huge cooler thinking I would load up on fresh seafood and bring it back. Forget it! I can buy fresh lobster here for about half of what it costs down there. Unless you are going out and catching it on your own and cooking it up yourself it isn't going to save you any money.

If you do manage to get it right off the boat, most of the time you'll be getting seconds because they need to keep the good stuff for their buyers. Best price I heard (right off the boat was $5.00 a lb. I can buy them in Sobeys on special for $4.99/lb) (I do have a 150 qt marine cooler for sale for a good price if you do want one though LOL). Even PEI potatoes were more expensive there than I can buy them right here in Lindsay.

Now if you do have someone down there that can take you digging clams and show you how to cook and clean them, that is a treat you'll never forget.

You're unlikely to save any $ (Sobeys is selling at a loss to get you in the store), but seafood tastes better when it's absolutely fresh. Plus it's just nice to have when you're on vacation.

Yup go the lobsters right at the wharf, took the kids down with me and the guys were great, let them go on the boat and check things out and the price was good too $4 per lobster for the seconds (they called it something different but meant the same as seconds might be missing a leg or small claw). Where are you going in PEI, we were in the Arcadian side of the Island at Cape Egmont. Bring a small spade shovel with you and when the tide goes out, start diggin for them clams be careful of the razorclams they are sharp as hell, slice my finger open on one of them. Put the live bar clam on a table and spread some salt on the table and watch them little buggers stick there tongue out to lick up the salt, pretty cool for the kids to watch. Have fun out there and if your driving, go to Hopewell Rocks that is a neat place to see.

Rob C

You're unlikely to save any $ (Sobeys is selling at a loss to get you in the store), but seafood tastes better when it's absolutely fresh. Plus it's just nice to have when you're on vacation.

Oh I won't disagree with you on that one, we ended up paying $7.99/lb for the ones we got and they were fantastic! It was well worth the money spent! I had planned to bring a cooler full of them home with me but figured that by the time I got them home they wouldn't be much fresher than the ones I can get at Sobeys LOL.

We bought 3# lobsters right of the boat in Cape Cod last year. Paid $5.99 a pound but they were arguably the best I have had in recent years..

I hear you there John, the ones we did have down there were better than any I have ever had here, might be the sea air and local brew though LOL.

The clams we dug were called "soft shell" bit of a trick to getting them out of the sand without breaking them and you had to make sure they were legal size ($265.00 fine for taking any under size). Cleaning them wasn't hard once someone showed you how. The butter clams were really good too especially raw but I really liked the flavor of the soft shell ones.

By far the best lobster in the world comes from around St Pauls Island in Cape Breton. We were in Bay ST lawrence and asked at a food trailer where to get lobster. They directed us to the wharf to ask the guys unloading the boat and said to expect to pay $4 a pound. They offered us some big ones but we picked 3 prime ones in the 2 lb range. No charge when we asked how much!!! PEI lobsters grow faster and are more plentiful so you should be able to negotiate $4-5 a pound...