Leased hunting land

Rod Caster

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone in the OFC crowd can help me with the market rates for leased hunting land? Even a general idea for land north of Toronto would help me out.

Based on my limited research, going rate is between $2-4 per acre? Am I close?

I didn't know people leased land for hunting in ontario.

I have over 1000 acres of private land I can hunt on with written permission, and all it costs me a few cases of bear a year. And some elbow grease if the farmers need a hand with anything....

I am curious to see what the going rate for leasing is.

Are you thinking of leasing yours out?

Don't tell that owner about leasing! you got a good deal.

I'm thinking of leasing for this year, since I don't have my hunting license yet (booked for next year). I put up an ad and i've been overwhelmed with responses, which I did NOT expect given all the crown land around here. I suppose I'd be happy with $500 and some cut wood from trail clearing, but maybe that's too much, or maybe it's not enough, and NO ONE wants to offer a price first!... There is very little info on pricing so I figure the good ol' cooperative that is OFC would provide some meaningful information.

What kind of paperwork do you have? is it an actual lease, created by a notary, or is it just a written permission slip? I'll be writing up something fairly comprehensive. Last thing I need are stakes in every second tree or 10 meter wide trails everywhere.

Be carefull for what you ask for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hunters I mean.

You dont know them,or their hunting ethics.

It took me a long time to get my properties. Once the land owners were comfortable with my ways,I had access.

However, I have no problem with working, or bartering in exchange for permission.

Exactly S.

I think you should see if there any interest from the family here.Maybe some guys here want to put a hunting party together. Maybe work out getting some work done on the property for the rights to hunt.. Bare in mind,it would be not easy to get all involved at one time,but IMO,it,s worth a try.

Edited by Misfish

If the owner has more than one leasee hunting you are in the woods with a stranger with a gun who has the same legal rights you do. I personally allow select people to hunt on my property by appointment only so I can control the number of people in the woods. I also make sure they are responsible because I am personally responsible for them while they are on the property no matter what documents they sign waiving their rights to sue. You will do better not to lease but to approach the owners with a fair deal of a helping hand than as a cash for hunting rights. You might feel you are protected by the documents but the owner of the land can lease it to more than one person.

Art

I don't hunt and only have 11 acres but I would explore all legal ramifications of leasing before proceeding further. As alluded to, you may be on the hook if things go south with a hunting party no matter what paperwork you have. For the $$ you may get, personally, I would skip it and not take on the hassle or worry.

The problem with that Brian is that I'd have to hold more than one person accountable... which also means more work and confusion. If someone takes the lead on something like that, I'd be interested!

I figure if I write up a good solid lease and spend as much time as possible getting to know someone/their group that I'm in a pretty safe position. If they start messing around beyond the agreements in the lease I just call in for trespassing, or excercise one of my lease-breaking rights... plus there is pretty much only one access to the property so it can easily be monitored. I'm definitly going to a notary for this.

Bill, I've read about the land-tax based fee, I believe that would actually fall close to what I'm looking for in exchange.

Shane, I'd rather the money now, but later I may prefer an exchange-type system...once I know/plan my property a bit more.

keep in mind you will have food plots, tree stands, armed people in the bush, cleared shooting lanes and little use of your property during the hunting seasons (turkey, deer) anyone that i know of that has property they can hunt, will offer up part of their kill as a thank you

Thanks Art, good point about the multiple lessees.... I will start with a single party and advertise as such.

Floatnfly, I was thinking that since I have lots of things to prepare closer to the house this year (and don't have hunting lisc yet), that I may as well make a bit of side $ for the deer/moose/bear hunting seasons. Sept to Jan access only. The thing I like about food plots and shooting lanes, is that once I get my hunters permit my property will be prepared for me to hunt!

Just be sure to tell the leasee your intentions of hunting it next year.

It takes years to learn a new property. If a landowner told me I could only hunt for 5mos, and never come back, I wouldn't bother.

S.

Just be sure to tell the leasee your intentions of hunting it next year.

It takes years to learn a new property. If a landowner told me I could only hunt for 5mos, and never come back, I wouldn't bother.

S.

you should see the responses I got! 10 in less than 24hrs, all with the knowledge that it's only a single season lease. Already have some solid options, including someone who apparently appears on hunting shows. I've decided that I'm happy with $500 for a single season. So far, it seems I'm either perfectly priced or slightly below market based on response.

If the lease goes very well, I'll share the land next year, as I'll be able to bag my deer very easily on my own property.

Thanks for the input so far everyone! keep it coming

you should see the responses I got! 10 in less than 24hrs, all with the knowledge that it's only a single season lease. Already have some solid options, including someone who apparently appears on hunting shows. I've decided that I'm happy with $500 for a single season. So far, it seems I'm either perfectly priced or slightly below market based on response.

If the lease goes very well, I'll share the land next year, as I'll be able to bag my deer very easily on my own property.

Thanks for the input so far everyone! keep it coming

just make sure people don't gut deer where you want to hunt, its a death zone and any future deer will stay away

When someone pays you to use your land, they will treat it like your own..

And most people are looking for a long term plot they can work on. A lot of effort for one season of hunting. And IMO definitely not worth the $500...

If they know they are only there for a year, they may not treat it very well.

I don't want to throw to much bias opinion in to this, but if I had a bush lot, it would be me hunting exclusively.

To be honest, my main interest in the land is not hunting; next year I want to hunt for food, and I can just shoot my food from my porch while it eats the apples I put out. I'd rather do things like forest management, hobby farming, landscaping, growing food/herbs/health benifiting plants, business opportunities and other things that will contribute to my income and a more grounded style of living; something the wife wants too. I've always put a lot of effort into fishing, but hunting never really mattered as much. I'd rather go falleye fishing.

If I can pay some if not all of my land taxes by allowing someone to harvest a few animals within my guidelines, then I see it as a gain. Management of the situation will be key. A good lease, proper insurance and good interviewing skills will weed out a lot of the tards I don't want. Plus, I live in unorganized township, so chances are, the people entering my property for money and much better behaved than the people who border my property haha.

I agree with you Nick, I wouldn't pay $500 either!! I'd just find one of thousands of spots on crown land that is LOADED with animals. Based on the response of the ad though, I'd say there is a market!

There's definitly a market. Lots of people are too lazy to actually get off the couch and go knock on a couple doors and start a relationship with landowners.

I've just heard way too many horror stories about guys paying to hunt. There are a lot better ways to make $500, other than having a bunch of people you don't know hunting your place.

Do you have any friends that hunt?

I hate to be negative nelly, but IMO, leasing land to hunt shouldn't even be allowed.

S.

I've just heard way too many horror stories about guys paying to hunt. There are a lot better ways to make $500, other than having a bunch of people you don't know hunting your place.

S.

Nail on Head

Sinker brings up something I was wondering about.

As you've seen, there's lots of interest but who are these hunters who don't already have a piece of land to go to ? Are they the dregs that previous owners booted off or something else ? I just see headaches from leasing it to Joe Public unless they come with impeccable references.

I was recently looking at 100+ acreage that had a forest management arrangement and you get $$ and usually some lumber/firewood. That was a very attractive carrot but ended up not buying (too much work to clear and build).

Personally, I'd be selfish and keep it as a private hunting area for close friends.

Definitely some risk involved and I'm glad they are being discussed here

My job is to mitigate it and make this a positive experience within my power. Not only $500, but I'll also get some cleared trails, firewood, stands, food plots done without lifting a finger

If I can develop a relationship and have a positive experience with one or two groups of guys, by year 2 or 3 we'll know each other and they'll have a sense of ownership/pride as well. If the experience sucks, well, time for the next venture.

Sinker brings up something I was wondering about.

As you've seen, there's lots of interest but who are these hunters who don't already have a piece of land to go to ? Are they the dregs that previous owners booted off or something else ? I just see headaches from leasing it to Joe Public unless they come with impeccable references.

Personally, I'd be selfish and keep it as a private hunting area for close friends.

I hear ya, and wonder the same thing.

But, I can't imagine a plot of scumbags cruising the internet looking to shell out $500+ dollars to be pricks on someone's property....i dunno, maybe I'm seeing things a little more rosey, but some smart management can remove a lot of the risk. Criminal check, references, clearly stated rules, a hearty warning that the CO's often park at the road exit.

One guy is willing to drive from Toronto to meet me and have lunch, then drive down a couple weeks later to sign the lease.. that's a lot of effort when he could just pick some crown land in Temagami and trash it for free.

I do like the idea of bartering for work, instead of cash, but that's something I would initiate later when I have more solid plans for the property.

I do like the idea of bartering for work, instead of cash, but that's something I would initiate later when I have more solid plans for the property.

yup. If they're not afraid of some manual labour, then that would bode well imo. Sweat equity on their part would impress me.

If you have any cleared land, is there any room to let some animals graze there for a fee or barter ?

Regardless, it sounds like you've given this lots of thought and have covered all the bases.

Have fun chopping firewood ;)

yup. If they're not afraid of some manual labour, then that would bode well imo. Sweat equity on their part would impress me.

If you have any cleared land, is there any room to let some animals graze there for a fee or barter ?

Regardless, it sounds like you've given this lots of thought and have covered all the bases.

Have fun chopping firewood ;)

Apparently, the risks (liabilities) are much lower with a trade/barter system since no money is exchanged. I need to look further into this.

Never thought about letting animals graze on the cleared section. More ideas! Haha, 99 percent is bush though.

Chad, I was and still am interested in hunting your land and my offer of helping you will ALWAYS stand whether I hunt your land or not; but, no way am I paying to hunt any land anywhere.

Also, for the hunter from Toronto, I do not believe he would not have applied for the antlerless deer tag in your zone (48). Therefor he could only shoot one buck for $500.

I searched kijiji and could not find your ad.

I took the ad down because I had too many emails flying in.. Had to step back a bit. I wouldn't consider asking a fee out of you Blair! I'll text you tomorrow, you can swing by my maiden bonfire in a couple weeks! We'll chat then