FISH-A-THON 2013! July 27th!

Happy Canada Day Weekend Folks!

I hope everybody is away for the weekend, enjoying family, friends, a little fishing and maybe even a few cold ones... :whistling:

We usually try to wait until 1 month prior to the Fish-A-Thon to really start the big push as we want to keep everybody excited and the train rolling right up until the event! So here we are to bug you guys for the next 4 weeks!

I really should hire one of the great writers of OFC to put these threads together for me as I never seem to be able to get the words out properly. Here's a little background info for some of our new members. We started this event as a way to raise funds and awareness for a cause that I think has touched each and every one of us in some way - that is the fight against Cancer. It seems like just yesterday there was a dozen of us on the dock, pledges in hand that were collected from family, friends and co-workers - ready to pitch lures for a full day on the water. We aren't walkers, joggers or bike ridding kind of people... we love to fish and wanted to do our part.... So the Fish-A-Thon for a cure was born! We put that first event together in just a couple of weeks and with the help of so many good people here on OFC and elsewhere we pulled off an awesome day and raised way more then we had anticipated.

Fast forward to Fish-A-Thon 2013 and we're celebrating our 5TH ANNIVERSARY already! We've had hundreds of participants young and old, thousands of dollars worth of prizes and food donations given to us from businesses and individuals all over, have raised over $35,000 towards the fight against cancer, raised awareness online, on radio and in print, shown time and time again just how solid of a group we are as anglers, and have a new generation of fish-a-thoner's aged 2 and up who are excited to take part every year and find new ways to help others.

As stated in the title, this years event is on July 27th 2013 and located once again at the Deer Creek Conservation Area in Norfolk County. We have participants come from all over Ontario and have already collectively booked more then 10 sites at the park! Right now our participant numbers are on par with last years with 70+ people signed up, however we do have more children then usual at this point so we're hoping to push more people to get involved as participants!!

We have what I consider to be the greatest sponsors at any fishing charity event. They step up year after year and donate an unbelievable amount of prizes for our participants!!!! That being said, we're always looking to partner with new companies and individuals that share the same passion and values as we do at Fish-A-Thon for a cure. If you think you can help our event in any way please do not hesitate to contact us! Our participants work selflessly to gain pledges, going door to door, asking friends, family, co-workers and employers for pledges which are donated to fight this cause, and we want to show them as much appreciation as we can. More importantly, the larger we grow as a team of individuals and companies, the more strength we have to make a difference!

Please feel free to take a second to poke around our website at www.fish-a-thon.com - Dan Bouck did a great job putting the site together for us and has all the information you need to get involved.

Coming up soon with be some DCCA fish pictures to get you guys stoked about the fishing and some sponsor thank-you's for those who have already stepped up for 2013!

A big FAT ( Fish-A-Thon) thank you goes out to our amazing team of people who donate their time behind the scenes every year to make this happen. You guys know who you are and I can't thank you enough! This honestly just straight up wouldn't happen without you!

More to come!

THANKS!

Ryan

FATAD2013-1.jpeg

I've posted each of these photos year after year but they are a solid group of pictures that some of you may not have seen, of some quality fish are are available in the reservoir! If you guys have any special Fish-A-Thon photos from past years please feel free to post them!

Species Available:

IMG_9550.jpg

IMG_9529.jpg

394500_10150960749336580_1490620695_n.jp

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_1249_2.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

DSCF4121.jpg

DSCF4077.jpg

DSCF5232.jpg

DSCF5198_2.jpg

DSCF5200_2.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

DSCF1202.jpg

55lbsdeercreekbucketmouth.jpg

DeerCreek002.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0827-1.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

GOPR0107.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

I'm still uncertain as to whether or not I'll make it this year Ryan but the donation prize rod will.

Should be done in a few more days. Here's a quick peek at the custom cork and wood work I've done thus far.

A few more guides, custom signed "Fish -A-Thon 2013" and we're off to the races. ;)

xhgz.jpg

cannot wait for this again this year. Somehow I have yet to register, but Rachel did a while back, time to get pledging!

This has turned into my favourite fishing event of the year, and without a doubt is one of the best days on the water I can think of. We have a site booked for the 26th so we don't have to leave Oakville at 5am anymore :P

I'm still uncertain as to whether or not I'll make it this year Ryan but the donation prize rod will.

Should be done in a few more days. Here's a quick peek at the custom cork and wood work I've done thus far.

A few more guides, custom signed "Fish -A-Thon 2013" and we're off to the races. ;)

xhgz.jpg

Your rods are always a hightlight and coveted prize at the Fish-A-thon Spiel - we can't thank you enough!

cannot wait for this again this year. Somehow I have yet to register, but Rachel did a while back, time to get pledging!

This has turned into my favourite fishing event of the year, and without a doubt is one of the best days on the water I can think of. We have a site booked for the 26th so we don't have to leave Oakville at 5am anymore :P

Glad to hear you're coming again this year brother - we look forward to seeing you guys each summer! Glad to hear you booked a site to - we have at least 11 sites booked this year so friday night should be a good time as well! Get ahold of me on my cell or come looking for us when you get into town!

Hey guys - I just wanted to drop a quick FYI... Laurie from Dixie Dairy Bar and Tackle Shop in St. Thomas, ON has once again offered to sponsor anybody who walks into the store looking for a pledge!!! She's an amazing supporter of the Fish-a-Thon and goes way over above and beyond to help us out every year. Please pop by the shop to check out all the gear she has and grab a pledge while you're there!

Dixie Dairy Bar & Tackle Shop
51 St. Catharine Street
St. Thomas, Ontario
Canada
N5P 2V9
(519)631-1220

Thos is a great event and well run if you can make it please do you will not be disappointed. Thanks to all who help run this event and the ones who are doing alot of work year round for it.

We will not be fishing this year as I have to run up to Orrilia in the morning but hope to make it back in time for the party afterwards.

Hey Everyone,

I can't add much more to what everyone has said. For those that have been you know what it's about and how much fun is had. For those that haven't... It is an awesome day filled with fishing,food and fun while raising money to fight Cancer. On top of it all everyone walks away with an awesome prize pack. Last year we had over $10,000 in prizes to give away.

As Ryan stated we are still looking for more sponsors and mainly more participants. We almost have the campground filled with only 6 campsites left. There is also another campground 10 minutes away and 2 more in Long Point 20 minutes away so everyone can make a weekend out of it.

I will be there Friday to Sunday and expect to sit around the fire with some OFCers both nights. Maybe have a pop or 3 :whistling:

Juli the boys and I will be camping out with the rest of the FAT crew Friday thru Sunday. Hope to see a bunch of you there. Great cause, great time, great friends!! The smiles say it all every year!!! Come out and celebrate the 5th anniversary with us.

we are making plans to be there this year Ryan.. See you all there

Sounds good! Looking forward to seein' ya and thanks again!

Totally slackin on pledges, i gotta get this stuff in order! Time flies.

Looking forward to the event. Gonna do an Action Angling episode of it to share with OFC afterward.

Sup Homie! That'd be awesome if you did an AA episode for the event dude! Grab a campsite and hit the water before daybreak with me for a little bit!

Thos is a great event and well run if you can make it please do you will not be disappointed. Thanks to all who help run this event and the ones who are doing alot of work year round for it.

We will not be fishing this year as I have to run up to Orrilia in the morning but hope to make it back in time for the party afterwards.

Thanks for everything you guys do Mike! Looking forward to seeing you again buddy!

Hey Everyone,

I can't add much more to what everyone has said. For those that have been you know what it's about and how much fun is had. For those that haven't... It is an awesome day filled with fishing,food and fun while raising money to fight Cancer. On top of it all everyone walks away with an awesome prize pack. Last year we had over $10,000 in prizes to give away.

As Ryan stated we are still looking for more sponsors and mainly more participants. We almost have the campground filled with only 6 campsites left. There is also another campground 10 minutes away and 2 more in Long Point 20 minutes away so everyone can make a weekend out of it.

I will be there Friday to Sunday and expect to sit around the fire with some OFCers both nights. Maybe have a pop or 3 :whistling:

what he said...

Juli the boys and I will be camping out with the rest of the FAT crew Friday thru Sunday. Hope to see a bunch of you there. Great cause, great time, great friends!! The smiles say it all every year!!! Come out and celebrate the 5th anniversary with us.

Looking forward to camping out with you guys this year Frank!! Thanks again to Juli, yourself and the boys!

Hey guys!

CHECK it out! As stated earlier we have some of the most amazing sponsors of any fishing charity event! One such sponsor is Laurie from Dixie Dairy Bar and Tackle in St. Thomas! She doesn't just donate prizes directly from her store but every year she approaches each of her suppliers for prizes and has gotten some great stuff donated already this year! I managed to nab a few photos of some of the prizes, which are just the tip of the ice burg!

First off, Laurie doesn't just run Dixie, she's a part of St. Thomas Tire and has gotten TOYO TIRES involved!!!! They're donating $500 towards a new set of Toyo Tires which is a HUUUUGE prize and St. Thomas Tire has stepped up to the plate to offer a free install!

toyofinal.jpeg

Laurie always tries to keep the prizes a secret but I managed to get a few photos to show off! haha

She hooked us up with a couple of awesome chains/pendants for top kid prizes...

photo-5.jpeg

Awesome bed set worth over $175.00!!!
blankets.jpg

A handfull of Bug Zappers she got from KTL!
zapper.jpg

A backpack filled with ONE HUNDRED Chocolate Bars from Mars!
Backpack.jpg

She's got Coke involved and donating ALL of the drinks we need for the event!!!

She's also got some stuff that she won't tell me about! More prizes to come from some of our other fantastic sponsors....

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!

Great cause Ryan, would have been a long shot but working anyways. Hope the turnout and money raised is through the roof.

Thanks 'Bunk - one of these years we'll wrangle you up and get you down for it... I'd like to see what kind of damage you can do on our little lake!

Sent you a box full earlier in the week!!

You are the man TJ! Can't wait to get it - I still have some Ontario Fishing Network stuff left from last year... I will post up a pic when the package arrives... thank you so much for the support as usual!

Edited by The Urban Fisherman